Halloween Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok...that'll teach me not to post whilst in an "advanced state of refreshment".
:eek::D

Just a quick tip.. If your props are going to be subjected to prolonged exposure to the elements, you may wish to consider using an exterior grade filler.

That's a great before and after pic TK, Thanks for posting. it really shows what can be achieved by mastering a fairly simple technique...Great job!
Thanks Baron!!

I can finally see the pics you posted!!! They look great! I'll try that on the mausoleum.

· Technological Terror
724 Posts
Here's a quick and fairly effective way of adding moss and lichens to a prop if you don't have access to the real thing. I have just done a small patch here for illustration purposes..
You will need: Some all purpose filler, made up as per the pack instructions or ready mixed.
A pallett knife
A stiff bristled brush
Acrylic paints and brushes. (not pictured).

Take a blob of filler and apply it to your prop in an irregular shape..don't spread it too thinly.

Use the stiff bristled brush in a stippling action to create a surface texture.

Allow to dry, then apply a base coat of dark green acrylic.

Drybrush with lighter greens and finish with a drybrush of yellow.
(Use smaller, more rounded patches of filler and paint with grey/white or orange/yellow to create lichens).

Finally, finish with a watered down wash of brown/green to create a damp effect.
I see the pics now. Thanks for posting.

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Okay, had some time this afternoon so I did the water staining for the front of the mausoleum. This is the same technique I've have been using for the mausoleum and tombstone water stain aging.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.