Halloween Forum banner

I need help aging...

3875 Views 44 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  shopcomparecostumes
my props!

Seriously, I love building, but I have no clue how to age. I think I'm just nervous. I spend all this time planing, carving, and painting -- and it looks good. Too good . . like new! :rolleyes:

I know there are some tutorials and other threads that touch on the basics of aging your props. I am mainly looking to age tombstones, and possibly some structures like the cider hut, mausoleum, and towers.

I live in the Northwest, so we have rain and moss as strong aspects to aging. I know what I like, but not how to get it.

If no one can help, I'm gonna have to call Litemareb4xmas, JohnnyAppleseed, and YardHauntJunkie over for a "prop aging" BBQ!! :D
(you've been warned!!)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think they look beautiful! Very nice work. I'd say you may want some more darker darks and lighter lights. They really look great, but I think a little more contrast would really help 'em pop!
I agree. I think I'm happy with the "darks" but I want to add some greens and some light grey/white lichen moss.

· The Hobo Spider Assassin
937 Posts
Looking good TK, sounds like you found the moss at Walmart! Now they look so new, need a few cracks and chips as well as the contrast and the lichen nad moss!

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Took some time today to apply the same technique of wet and dry brushing to age some of the pieces of my mausoleum. I'm pretty happy with the addition of the cracks and the layered staining.

This is the right side panel of the mausoleum.

This is the right side panel of the mausoleum.

This is one of the roof panels.

937 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it put together for the before and after effect! Scarfiest thing can be painting and aging your props after putting all the time and effort into building it and getting it to come out just as you planned! No better way then to research it a bit and then jump in with both feet!

· Lord of the Cemetery
2,080 Posts
Here's a quick and fairly effective way of adding moss and lichens to a prop if you don't have access to the real thing. I have just done a small patch here for illustration purposes..
You will need: Some all purpose filler, made up as per the pack instructions or ready mixed.
A pallett knife
A stiff bristled brush
Acrylic paints and brushes. (not pictured).

Take a blob of filler and apply it to your prop in an irregular shape..don't spread it too thinly.

Use the stiff bristled brush in a stippling action to create a surface texture.

Allow to dry, then apply a base coat of dark green acrylic.

Drybrush with lighter greens and finish with a drybrush of yellow.
(Use smaller, more rounded patches of filler and paint with grey/white or orange/yellow to create lichens).

Finally, finish with a watered down wash of brown/green to create a damp effect.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Baron, sounds good -- could you post a pic?

I was thinking of doing something similar to that to make some faux lichen. Start with a light green and work out with stippling and colors.

· Lord of the Cemetery
2,080 Posts
Baron, sounds good -- could you post a pic?

I was thinking of doing something similar to that to make some faux lichen. Start with a light green and work out with stippling and colors.
I thought I had put pics in my post...:confused:
let me see...

· Lord of the Cemetery
2,080 Posts
Yep..they're there.
(Didn't think I was that drunk when I posted).
:)

Holler me up if you still can't see 'em.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
TK421, how did you get them to look like that?
Is there a tut somewhere that shows you how?
I can probably put a tutorial together, but my process was pretty simple. I had already painted the tombstones with their base coats last year, so all I really needed to do was add the aging.

I have a can of dark grey paint, a 2 in brush, and a cup of water.

1. Apply a light brushing of water across the tombstone. This is just enough to dampen the tombstone, not so much that there's a puddle of water.

2. Dip the brush in the paint, wipe the excess paint off, and start brushing down the face of the tombstone. What this does is give you a faded first coat. Much like old water staining that has aged and faded.

3. Let the first layer of wet brushed aging dry. As it dries, it will lighten a bit because of the water you put o the tombstone first.

4. Start a second coat of staining/aging by using the same 2 in brush and dark grey paint. Get some paint on the brush, wipe the sides of the brush back in the can, and start dry brushing streaks down the face of the tombstone. This will give stronger, darker streaks on the face of the tombstone.

5. You can keep adding both wet brush streaks and dry brush streaks to get the depth of water staining you want on your tombstone or structure.

Here's a split pic showing before and after:

· Technological Terror
724 Posts
Yep..they're there.
(Didn't think I was that drunk when I posted).

Holler me up if you still can't see 'em.
I don't think your pics made the page, Baron. I can't see them. I don't even see a link...

TK,

Your walls are just awesome. Thanks for the painting tips. I will be needing them soon!

· Lord of the Cemetery
2,080 Posts
I don't think your pics made the page, Baron. I can't see them. I don't even see a link...
*^>*&^%...I should be sober by now!:(
I can still see 'em!:confused:

I'll have some black coffee and have another go!

937 Posts
I see 'em too Baron! Love the idea and now will get a chance to experiment with it...don't have to worry about it washing off my props in the Northwest rain!

· Lord of the Cemetery
2,080 Posts
Ok...that'll teach me not to post whilst in an "advanced state of refreshment".
:eek::D

Just a quick tip.. If your props are going to be subjected to prolonged exposure to the elements, you may wish to consider using an exterior grade filler.

That's a great before and after pic TK, Thanks for posting. it really shows what can be achieved by mastering a fairly simple technique...Great job!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.