Halloween Forum banner

I need help aging...

3875 Views 44 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  shopcomparecostumes
my props!

Seriously, I love building, but I have no clue how to age. I think I'm just nervous. I spend all this time planing, carving, and painting -- and it looks good. Too good . . like new! :rolleyes:

I know there are some tutorials and other threads that touch on the basics of aging your props. I am mainly looking to age tombstones, and possibly some structures like the cider hut, mausoleum, and towers.

I live in the Northwest, so we have rain and moss as strong aspects to aging. I know what I like, but not how to get it.

If no one can help, I'm gonna have to call Litemareb4xmas, JohnnyAppleseed, and YardHauntJunkie over for a "prop aging" BBQ!! :D
(you've been warned!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the good advice! I'll definitely take a field trip or two and see what nature is doing on her own.

Also, I'm wondering about the use of moss, or moss-like materials? J.A., have you ever done anything like that? I'm thinking the fake moss you get at Michaels is too big, I'm looking for more of the deep green "fuzzy" moss. Maybe something from a Model Train store? Like what they use for terrain building.

Hmm . . . will have to check on that.

Please keep the ideas, techniques, and tricks coming!

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used clear poly spray paint and dust ( the finer the better). I spray a vary light layer and then lightly throw on some dust or really fine dirt. Making sure to get it in the areas where dirt would accumulate. Then I shake or dust off the excess. Then another misting of the clear spray paint. I do this until I get the look I like. I think if you painted columns and tombstones using the technique that 13mummy used and then did some light dirt and dust, you would have some pretty great aging. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Your "dusting" technique sounds pretty cool. Do you have a pic?

I'll go back a re-read 13's posts on painting her columns. Thanks!

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so I "went for it" on the aging of my tombstones.

This is what they looked like yesterday:

And this is what they look like today:

I was also able to pick up some moss from Walmart this morning and I'm hoping to put some of that on as well.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think they look beautiful! Very nice work. I'd say you may want some more darker darks and lighter lights. They really look great, but I think a little more contrast would really help 'em pop!
I agree. I think I'm happy with the "darks" but I want to add some greens and some light grey/white lichen moss.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Took some time today to apply the same technique of wet and dry brushing to age some of the pieces of my mausoleum. I'm pretty happy with the addition of the cracks and the layered staining.

This is the right side panel of the mausoleum.

This is the right side panel of the mausoleum.

This is one of the roof panels.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Baron, sounds good -- could you post a pic?

I was thinking of doing something similar to that to make some faux lichen. Start with a light green and work out with stippling and colors.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
TK421, how did you get them to look like that?
Is there a tut somewhere that shows you how?
I can probably put a tutorial together, but my process was pretty simple. I had already painted the tombstones with their base coats last year, so all I really needed to do was add the aging.

I have a can of dark grey paint, a 2 in brush, and a cup of water.

1. Apply a light brushing of water across the tombstone. This is just enough to dampen the tombstone, not so much that there's a puddle of water.

2. Dip the brush in the paint, wipe the excess paint off, and start brushing down the face of the tombstone. What this does is give you a faded first coat. Much like old water staining that has aged and faded.

3. Let the first layer of wet brushed aging dry. As it dries, it will lighten a bit because of the water you put o the tombstone first.

4. Start a second coat of staining/aging by using the same 2 in brush and dark grey paint. Get some paint on the brush, wipe the sides of the brush back in the can, and start dry brushing streaks down the face of the tombstone. This will give stronger, darker streaks on the face of the tombstone.

5. You can keep adding both wet brush streaks and dry brush streaks to get the depth of water staining you want on your tombstone or structure.

Here's a split pic showing before and after:

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok...that'll teach me not to post whilst in an "advanced state of refreshment".
:eek::D

Just a quick tip.. If your props are going to be subjected to prolonged exposure to the elements, you may wish to consider using an exterior grade filler.

That's a great before and after pic TK, Thanks for posting. it really shows what can be achieved by mastering a fairly simple technique...Great job!
Thanks Baron!!

I can finally see the pics you posted!!! They look great! I'll try that on the mausoleum.

5,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Okay, had some time this afternoon so I did the water staining for the front of the mausoleum. This is the same technique I've have been using for the mausoleum and tombstone water stain aging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.