Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I feel as if I'm running out of time already. I'm looking for suggestions for the fastest, easiest way to enclose my outdoor projector and laptop. I will be having a video looping on the side of the house for most of October. Ideally I would like something I could buy, cut a hole in and paint black (if needed).

I thought about one of those black Halloween totes. But I am looking for creative suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think your idea of a tote with a hole cut it in will be the fastest and easiest way to do that, you can stick it on a table to get it off the ground. You might have an issue with heat with it being enclosed like that. If you don't want to build anything and you want something with shelves so you can have a little mini booth with projector and laptop one above the other how about one of those plastic 3 drawer storage units, you could do some creative cutting on it to make your stuff accessible, depends on how big your projector is, however it wouldn't protect it from rain like the tote with an overlapping lid would.

·
Registered
139 Posts
it is my first year with a projector and I am going to do the following.

build a wooden "box" out of old pallets, lined with plastic internally so it is waterproof. cut out for the lens with maybe a small hangover that part to aid weather protection.

I am going to spray on "do not open" or similar and then have a half body breaking out of the top (hopefully) or maybe just a cross on it.

I am trying to theme it in with a cemetery.

I will post pictures if a) I remember and b) if I have time to !!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Depending on how much heat your projector/laptop put off and your temps in October, you might have a condensation problem with the tote. If that turns out to be an issue you could substitute a cheap plastic (or even styrofoam) ice chest. The insulation stops condensation from forming and also muffles fan sound somewhat. You can cover it with a few layers of creepy cloth or some of the "3D" camo fabric. The plastic coolers can be cut w/ a holesaw, box knife or jigsaw. This time of year, clearance priced ice chests don't cost a lot more than totes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Kelly_A, and one I've considered. As I think about this project it looks like my idea of "fast" is really "I don't want to build something out of wood and just want to modify something". I'm considering something like this plastic drawer and then putting foam panels around it and turning it into some sort stone altar, or just a very large tombstone kind of thing. I like the drawers and it's about the right height for the projection to work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm planning to move my projector outside this year. I'm going to experiment having it project through the bottom of a fish tank so it'll be placed inside the tank on one of the sides and the tank will be angled backward so this should keep it pretty well protected from anything other than really hozizontal wind driven rain. The top of the tank will tilted toward the ground. Since it's already watertight it should be safe. Then, I'll disguise it with something...

I'm hoping projecting through the glass does not add too much distortion, reflection or cut down the brightness too much. I can always line the thing with paper and just have a circle cut for the cone of the projected image.

We'll see : I plan to test over the next few weeks...

Doug

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm looking for something to "cover" the projector with also. Projectors generate a pretty good bit of heat though and it seems like anything you cover it with would cause it to overheat. right?

·
Registered
139 Posts
as long as it is not too close tot he projector fan / hot part and allows air to move it should be ok. the problem occurs if everything is closed in.

the projector needs to breath!! (the reason for the fans etc I believe is to keep the bulb (or lamp to be specific) cool. the hotter the lamp gets, the quicker it will wear out.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
last year, I bought a storeage container and cut holes on each side (for cross ventilation) and used a battery operated fan to move the air.

due to the shape . I cut the bottom out, instead of simply inverting it the container.
this way water wouldnt get inside. and since it had no bottom, if water did get in, in wouldnt collect.

but ended up moving the effect in my garage.
this year, I may actually use it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is how I hid my projector for my alive headstone video. It is the ground breaker casket on the far left with the zombie on the top. I basically just took some scrap lumber. I used some treated plywood for the base then I set the projector up so I could tell how high I would have to angle the PJ to work on my stone. Then that is how high I built up the ground breaker. The top is framed in then scrap wood on top. This way the top is easily removed for easy access. Now obviously the part facing the headstone is open. Then I just added the ground breaker zombie for affect. Now it is quite large because I picked up an old school pj for this off of craigslist. But it fit the PJ and the DVD player

·
Registered
324 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts