Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met two Monster movie legends! Gorge Romero & the Creature from the Black Lagoon!

I had a great opportunity to attend CT Horrorfest last weekend. The show was excellent, but the highlight was meeting two amazing horror movie legends. Yes, I look like a fanboy, but what the hell...

I was able to meet George Romero! He is the creator of zombies as we know them in modern film! Creator and director of "Night of the Living Dead," Dawn of the Dead," etc...
The lines were long all day, but toward the end, I caught up with him with only one person in line. There was no one behind me, so I was able to sit and ask him a couple of questions. This was so very cool!
20160827_175133.jpg
20160827_175458 - Copy.jpg

I also was able to meet Roccou Browning. He played "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" in both movies. Roccou did all of the underwater monster scenes and is the last surviving original Universal Movie Monster. I had him sign my Creature figure (left the arms at home).

20160827_120208 - Copy.jpg
20160827_120146 - Copy.jpg

The dorky bow tie is an attempt at looking Dr. Who - ish, because my friend Tony and I built a Dalek from Dr. Who for the costume contest. Tony was inside operating it. We did not win the costume contest, because the organizers classified us as sci-fi not "horror." We still had a great time though.

20160827_110459 - Copy.jpg
20160827_111023 - Copy.jpg

Our competition. The judges all loved the Dalek, but being sci-fi, we were out of the competition. It is all good though.
20160827_165405 - Copy.jpg

What a great weekend it was!

Eric

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Oh man BIG names from my past! What a cool event that was to have had the opportunity to meet them at too. They both look great and hope they enjoyed basking in some of the limelight that weekend. I'm sure they never thought when they worked on The Creature movies all those years ago that they would be sitting signing autographs and taking pictures with people decades into the future especially if you weren't a leading man or lady. Guess Creature was kind of a leading man...although I think the land-based Creature actor got more attention. Did Mr. Browning talk at all about his underwater time while you were there?

Loved your Dalek, nice job on the construction and finishes. Too bad about the sci-fi classification although a case could have been made that they were horror based as everyone I knew who was about to be blasted by them in Dr. Who, "Exterminate! Exterminate!" were terrified! That's true horror to me!! LOL. So was your partner in the costume walking inside of it or was it motorized too? If you have photos of your build I hope you will put them in a tutorial. Lots of Dr. Who fans out there.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos. I would have had a great time just going as a spectator instead of a entrant in the costume contest and really would have enjoyed meeting Romero and Browning.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GOS.

Mr Browning did a panel discussion and went into how he was hired for the job, plus the challenges of the suit, wearing lead so he would sink and having to hold his breath between trips to the air hose.

Mr. Romero was very nice and explained that he does not like what the Walking Dead did to zombies, making them props in a soap opera.

The Dalek was built in my garage in one weekend. We did not have any plans, so I drew it out and started cutting. It came together pretty well in about 20 hours. Tony was inside the Dalek walking it around. We had a sound system playing the Dalek "exterminate" dialogue from the show. It was a lot of work in one weekend, but fun. All I can say is that Tony and I have very understanding wives!

20160807_175634 - Copy.jpg
20160808_201448 - Copy.jpg
20160827_111023 - Copy.jpg

Eric

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Great work with no plans in place over such a short period of time. Did you guys use shoulder straps to elevate the Dalek body to walk around in or maybe add wheels hidden on the bottom to glide it around? It looks like it could be heavy. Did he have a door panel to walk into or did you have to lift it over his head. Kudos to Tony for being the hidden costume actor. I'd probably have issues wearing it for long. I picked up an inflatable Godzilla costume I'm going to wear one year for our haunt and manuevering around in the darkness will have it's challenges apart from bathroom breaks! Thanks for the extra photos.

Imagine Browning's underwater manuevering was tricky with the costume on. do you know if he was a diver first or an actor?

Are you involved in cosplay events too?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never done cosplay before. As a matter of fact I had never watched Dr. Who and had never seen nor had any idea what a Dalek was less than a week before I started the build. :rolleyes: I guess I like a challenge! We are also going to bring it to the Hartford, CT ComicCon on September 24th.

The Dalek had 6 commercial swivel casters under the base. It could transition over changes in surfaces easily, like from carpet to tile, etc. We made the side panel removable and held it in place with velcro as seen in the second construction photo above. That way Tony could get in and out. The inside had an 8" fan driven off a battery power supply for ventilation and a cupholder for a water bottle. All he had to do was hold onto the pvc pipes for the front weapons and guide it around. I had a fake remote control graphic on my cell phone, so I would walk around like I was operating it. We fooled a lot of people. This is a photo from the Danbury News Times

Mr Browning was a life guard in Florida. His supervisor asked him to bring some people from Hollywood around to a few canals and lakes to scout shooting locations. He did that and then they asked him to swim, so they could get the idea of the size of a peson compared to the scenery for blocking shots. He got a call a week later offering hime the underwater role for the Creature. Interestingly, after completing the two movies, he went on to create a television show, which ran 4 seasons and had 3 movies. It was about a dolphin called "Flipper." I grew up watching that show! He also did the Sean Connery body double work for underwater scenes in the 007 Movie Thunderball. Interesting guy.

Eric

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
That's so cool! I wasn't even sure if Mr. Browning was still alive. Creature from the Black Lagoon was always one of my favorite old movies.

George Romero is a pretty cool guy. Funny, too. A few years a go, I went to an appearance he made in Charlotte, NC. In a small, intimate theater, we sat with him as "Night of the Living Dead" was shown in it's entirety while he watched it with us. Afterwards he held a question and answer session, then signed autographs.
I'll always remember what a fun night that was.

Glad you had a great time!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, that must have been cool to watch the movie with him right there! Awesome experience!

Eric

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
The thing about Romero that struck me when I saw him at a con many years ago was that he's ridiculously tall! For whatever reason I pictured him as a small man, like 5'5" or shorter, but he is not short at all, he's 6'4" if not taller.

I guess because you just don't usually see him standing in pics, he's usually sitting down. But when I saw him walk into the room I was all "OMG HE'S A GIANT!!"

Now I'm 5'2" so most of those horror dudes tower over me, so whenever I do go to con they all have to practically bend in half to take pics with me. The only one that didn't tower over me was Jeffrey Combs, he's around 5'5" & didn't have to bend over. Same for Reggie Bannister, he's not super tall either. But the rest of the usual attendees, Kane Hodder, Michael Berryman, Ken Foree, etc. they're all pretty tall guys.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing about Romero that struck me when I saw him at a con many years ago was that he's ridiculously tall! For whatever reason I pictured him as a small man, like 5'5" or shorter, but he is not short at all, he's 6'4" if not taller.

I guess because you just don't usually see him standing in pics, he's usually sitting down. But when I saw him walk into the room I was all "OMG HE'S A GIANT!!"

Now I'm 5'2" so most of those horror dudes tower over me, so whenever I do go to con they all have to practically bend in half to take pics with me. The only one that didn't tower over me was Jeffrey Combs, he's around 5'5" & didn't have to bend over. Same for Reggie Bannister, he's not super tall either. But the rest of the usual attendees, Kane Hodder, Michael Berryman, Ken Foree, etc. they're all pretty tall guys.
I agree. I'm just over 6'4" and I was surprised that we were about the same height.

Eric

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Glad you got to meet those guys. I knew Romero from back in Monroeville when he was shooting Dawn of the Dead at Monroeville Mall where my sister worked. I would pick her up from the JC Penneys there after she closed out their office and I would see Romero and his crew getting set up.

I've met Ricou and his wonderful daughter quite a few times. The first was at Spooky Empire in Orlando, then they came up to Jacksonville for a show and I brought our lifesize Creature for him to sign. Then we got a call the next time he came up asking if they could use our Creature as a backdrop for them and we took him over for that.

Tonight we're going over to a reception at the Jacksonville Museum of Science and History that has borrowed our Creature for a six-month exhibit on movies made in Jacksonville. The museum is just a few yards away from where the old Lobster House restaurant was located. This was the place the Creature attacks in Revenge of the Creature. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you got to meet those guys. I knew Romero from back in Monroeville when he was shooting Dawn of the Dead at Monroeville Mall where my sister worked. I would pick her up from the JC Penneys there after she closed out their office and I would see Romero and his crew getting set up.

I've met Ricou and his wonderful daughter quite a few times. The first was at Spooky Empire in Orlando, then they came up to Jacksonville for a show and I brought our lifesize Creature for him to sign. Then we got a call the next time he came up asking if they could use our Creature as a backdrop for them and we took him over for that.

Tonight we're going over to a reception at the Jacksonville Museum of Science and History that has borrowed our Creature for a six-month exhibit on movies made in Jacksonville. The museum is just a few yards away from where the old Lobster House restaurant was located. This was the place the Creature attacks in Revenge of the Creature. :)
Wow, what an honor! That is very cool!!!

Eric

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Here's our Creature at the museum. They did a nice job with the setup, and they think he's going to be a hit with the kids when field trips start coming in. Hopefully he'll create a whole new generation of fans like us. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts