Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so there I was sitting on my patio, minding my own business, looking out at the flowers in the garden and the trees in the haunted forest, blissfully ignorant of Wicked Grandma sneaking up on me. I am usually more observant when Wicket Grandma is around because if I am not extremely cautious she will be able to corner me with some sort of needless chore to do. But here I was…trapped. “Hey”, says she. “It quit raining yesterday. How about mowing the yard?” Using my quick wit and resourcefulness I searched the files stored away in the recesses of my feeble brain to find some way of getting out of this menial task. Having quickly landed on a likely excuse I replied, “Sorry honey, it’s only 4 months to Halloween and I just have to make that lantern Creepy Creations did a tutorial on today.” And with that off I went to the hardware store to get the necessary supplies.

I made the hour round trip to our local Lowes Home Improvement store and arrived back home with all the materials Creepy Creations said I would need. I then retired to my Halloween Idea Factory (actually my barn which Wicked Grandma affectionately calls “The Dungeon of Death because it is so dangerously cluttered”) to begin working on this very special project. It wasn’t very long until I discovered that maybe I should have looked at that tutorial again before I went to the store. When I tried to get that light bulb socket into the lantern base it wouldn’t go. It looked so easy when Creepy Creations did it but no matter how hard I tried it just would not fit. Then it hit me. Crap…I bought the wrong socket and light. I checked the tutorial again and discovered I was supposed to get a “chandelier” socket and “chandelier” flicker light. Instead I bought a regular size light socket and regular size flicker light. Who knew? Well, actually Creepy Creations did. And there was no way this big light socket was going to fit into that little hole in the lantern oil reservoir base. Then to make matters worse, while I continued to try to make this work I looked up and there was Wicked Grandma standing in the door laughing at me. “Piece don’t fit, huh?” says she. I guess I should have known that Wicket Grandma would be watching as, unfortunately, this was not the first time I have done something like this. In fact, this happens to me pretty regularly. Trying to find some way of recovering my dignity and getting out of this embarrassing situation (not to mention still hoping to get out of mowing the lawn) I quickly replied, “Well, Lowes didn’t have the right stuff (big lie) “and this light will be even better” (big lie #2). Wicked Grandma walked off and started the lawn mower but not before saying, “I think you better just send an email to that Creepy Creations guy and see if he will just make one of those for you. It will be done quicker, cheaper, and you won’t electrocute yourself”. She is SOOO EVIL! :eek:

Anyway, while Wicked Grandma mowed the lawn I did go ahead and make the lantern using Creepy Creations’ idea and basic instructions but with the wrong materials. Here is the result.

Materials I used:
Wal-Mart Lantern – This is one I had in the Haunted Forest but Wal-Mart sells them for about $6.00
Normal size light Socket - $2.99 at Lowes
Normal size flicker light - $4.09 at Lowes
15’ Extension cord - $2.99 at Wal-Mart – I got an extension cord rather than buy cord and plug separately and I like long cords
Electric cord connectors – either crimp or twist connectors whichever you prefer

Materials Needed.jpg

Tools Needed:
Drill with a bit large enough to give plenty of room for the extension cord to fit with room to spare
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Wire strippers
Wire crimpers
Wire cutters
Dremmel tool – or similar type tool
Safety glasses and Gloves—you will be cutting metal and it gets hot and sparks fly

Tools Needed.jpg

Step 1 – Disassemble the lantern

Step 1 (2).jpg

Step 2—Remove the retaining clips from the light socket.

Step 2.jpg

Step 3 – Use the Dremmel or similar tool to cut the top off of the wick cover

Step 3 a.jpg Step 3 b.jpg

Step 4 - Use the Dremmel or similar tool to smooth the edges of the hole left in the wick cover and slightly enlarge the hole to accommodate the bottom of the light socket. The bottom of the light socket is slightly smaller than the top part so you want to enlarge the hole just enough for the bottom of the light socket to fit through from the top and fit snugly against the bottom edge of the top part of the light socket but not so large as to allow the top half of the light socket to go through.

Step 4.jpg

Step 5 - Use the Dremmel or similar tool to slightly enlarge the globe base so the top of the electric socket will just fit through.

Step 5.jpg

Step 6 – Use the hot glue gun to secure the electric socket into the wick cover. This will make up your light socket assembly. If you wish you may also use hot glue to secure the wick extender knob to the wick cover for a more realistic look. If you do this you will need to cut a little off the wick extender rod and then bend the end of the rod at a 90 degree angle then hot glue the bend to the inside of the wick cover.

Step 6.jpg

Step 7 – Using the drill and bit drill a hole through the back of the oil reservoir large enough to allow the extension cord to pass through with some extra room around the hole so the cord will not get cut on the sharp edges of the hole.

Step 7.jpg

Step 8 – Cut the female end off the extension cord and discard the plug.

Step 8.jpg

Step 9 – Pass the cut end of the extension cord through the hole in the back of the oil reservoir and up through the top of the oil reservoir.

Step 10 – Strip the ends of the extension cord to allow for the connection to the electric socket.

Step 10.jpg

Step 11 – Using either wire crimp or twist connectors connect the electric socket to the extension cord. Most electrical wiring will have some way to distinguish the positive (hot) wire from the neutral wire. On this extension cord the positive wire side had a ribbed design. On the electric socket the hot side had a black wire. Connect the black wire on the electric socket to the positive side of the electric cord and the white wire of the electric socket to the neutral side of the extension cord.

Step 11 a.jpg Step 11 b.jpg

Step 12 – Test the light to make sure it works. You don’t want to get everything put together and then find that you did not make a good electrical connection.

Step 12.jpg

Step 13 – Use the hot glue gun to secure the extension cord in the hole in the back of the oil reservoir. Fill the hole with an adequate amount of hot glue to keep the cord from moving and being cut on the sharp edges of the hole. In the alternative you may use a commercial cord protector that will fit the hole.

Step 13.jpg

Step 14 - Feed the wire of the extension cord and the electric socket wire down into the oil reservoir and push the top of the electrical socket up through the bottom of the globe base. It should fit snugly.

Step 14.jpg

Step 15 – Screw in the flicker light bulb. You need to install the bulb now because it will not fit though the hole in the globe base if you install it before you put the light socket through the globe base.

Step 16 – Install the lantern globe. This needs to be done now as the bulb is too long to allow the globe to be easily installed after the assembly is in its final position.

Step 15.jpg

Step 17 – Raise the spring-loaded top of the lantern and move the globe, globe base and flicker light assembly into position.

Step 16.jpg

Step 18 – Turn the wick cover with the flicker light assembly to secure it in the original notches on the oil reservoir.

That’s all. You are done. You will spend about $15.00 for all the materials and have about 30 minutes of time putting it together. It’s not as simple and easy as Creepy Creations method but when you are trying to save face with Wicked Grandma it works. And I told her this is the way I intended to make it all the time… (big lie #3).

Thanks Creepy Creations for the great tutorial. It would have been much easier if I had followed your original instructions and got the correct materials. Next project…your Pirate Rowboat. Now, how many board feet of lumber that that require?:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Great lantern, great tutorial, great garden and great narrative (made me smile). Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all. All the credit should go to Creepy Creations. He was the person who actually did the original tutorial. I just modified his because of my shopping blunder :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts