Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree, I'm an old school haunter too. I love all of the old school aspects of this holiday, especially jack-o-lanterns, the more the better. I love your choice of artwork, that's the look I've always tried to achieve whenever I've haunted our house, and now our son's house. Flashing lights, chainsaws, UFO's, and pirates have nothing to do with Samhain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Amen! My whole setup is traditional Halloween. I have no interest in clowns, possessed dolls, and current Hollywood tropes. Give me a misty cemetery, ghostly apparitions, and some good old fashioned witchcraft. That's Halloween!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I also love the decor associated with Halloween such as the Beistle die-cuts from the last 100 years or so:

:cool:
Again, all very cool. I have a couple of pieces like this in my collection. I prefer the light from lots of JOL's, candle light, and firelight to illuminate my haunts. The darkness makes it scarier, and people freak themselves out a lot more often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it comes to Halloween decor, all the different wildly colourful blow-molds by Empire and other companies are another delight:

These four exquisite blow-molds are from the collection of Raycastile:

And here are some from the collection of Ramsey37:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
When it comes to Halloween decor, all the different wildly colourful blow-molds by Empire and other companies are another delight:

These four exquisite blow-molds are from the collection of Raycastile:

And here are some from the collection of Ramsey37:

This brings so much joy to my heart. I have to admit I haven't put away the blow molds yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should also mention the noisemakers and other Halloween tin toys. I wasn't even aware of their existence ten years ago but I've really come to appreciate them because they're wild cool! Kirchhof Life of the Party Products, J. Chein, U.S. Metal Toy Mfg. Co. and T. Cohn were among the most noteworthy manufacturers of Halloween noisemakers and sundry tin toys until the latter part of the 20th century.

Here's a picture of Horrorhunter's collection:

Here are some from Ghost's collection:

Here are some from the collection of the CGC forum's Robot Man:

Here's another personal favourite of mine that T. Cohn produced back in the 1940's:

And one made by the U.S. Metal Toy Manufacturing Company:

And another made by Kirchhof Life of the Party Products:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll turn 60 in March so, I'm definitely old school vintage Halloween as well. Thank you all for posting these pictures. Reminds me of what made me fall in love with autumn and all things Halloween.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
And I love all the tacky kids' costumes from the late 20th century! Whether by Ben Cooper, Collegeville or Halco, whether horrific or just cartoony, none of that matters. What's key is that they be tacky kids' throwaway costumes that could be purchased at Woolworth, Kresge, Ben Franklin, W.T. Grant, G.C. Murphy, J.G. McCrory's, Newberry's, Zellers, Metropolitan and other five-and-dime stores across the nation.

I still recall the awe and longing with which I admired the costumes hanging from the ceiling of the downtown Kresge and Metropolitan stores in my neck of the woods. I knew though that there was no way my mother would spring for something so profligate as a single use costume back in my trick or treating days pre-1965. Still because of how closely these costumes are linked in our minds to the joy of trick or treating, they're highly prized by sundry Halloween enthusiasts and collectors these days:

Here are a few examples:

Ben Cooper

The Ben Cooper Spook Town box above is my single favourite Halloween costume box! It has the retro old-school look with the traditional Halloween imagery I like, but it's not so retro (like back in the early 1950's) that it's too plain and thus generic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
And a few more:

Halco

That's Wing Ding above.

I really like how the skull is wearing a derby!

Whom Dick Tracy Jr. married!

Wolf Gal was from the Li'l Abner comic strip.

And of course all these masks and costumes make for a fabulous present day display. Here are some shots from Sandman78's Collegeville Halloween costume collection:

·
Registered
296 Posts
And a few more:

Halco

That's Wing Ding above.

I really like how the skull is wearing a derby!

Whom Dick Tracy Jr. married!

Wolf Gal was from the Li'l Abner comic strip.

And of course all these masks and costumes make for a fabulous present day display. Here are some shots from Sandman78's Collegeville Halloween costume collection:

Very cool, those bring back a lot of memories. If I remember correctly, my last costume was the wolf man.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many of the the little paper bags people filled with treats for tricksters at Halloween in the 20th century also had boss cool graphics. The vintage treat bags below absolutely scream Halloween!

And these Halloween themed shoppingt bags are perhaps even better!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts