Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else frustrated trying to locate something for your haunt this year that you know you already bought and stored away awhile ago and now can't locate? For me it's a turquoise Gemmy LED light that I bought from Michaels. I know I have it because I even posted photos of it here to show people how it looked. Grrr.....How many days left to find it???

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
Last year it was my reaper skull...My kids found it in December with the Christmas stuff...I told the kids Christmas wasn't looking to good if that was Santa.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Funny thing is that we have all of our totes in a list of what is actually in each one. We go to the list and find it and know exactly what tote it is in. Well except for our lantern for the Grim Reaper in our cemetery. Say it is in Tote 4 and sure as everything it was not in there. Spent over a week looking for it and nothing. So I did the right thing and made a new one for him. AND YES YOU GUESSED IT! The next day I found it in Tote 14.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I do this each and every year without fail and this year is no exception. Only difference is, I have multiple things I can't find. I have to start doing what harboe69 does, I tell myself all year every year I'm going to get my totes organized but it's such a daunting task !!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Usually what we do is haul all of our totes to the garage and as we do a character we just go to that tote and walla. This last year I made a 12 X 8 storage closet for the wife which has all the totes in order on the shelves. She took an empty tote and our list of this years props and went to each tote and took out only the stuff she needed saved a lot of time hauling stuff to the garage. Just don't put that lantern in the wrong tote.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing is that we have all of our totes in a list of what is actually in each one. We go to the list and find it and know exactly what tote it is in. Well except for our lantern for the Grim Reaper in our cemetery. Say it is in Tote 4 and sure as everything it was not in there. Spent over a week looking for it and nothing. So I did the right thing and made a new one for him. AND YES YOU GUESSED IT! The next day I found it in Tote 14.

You were just off by 1 ;) LOL. or would that be 13? Yah, best laid plans :D.

I've been trying to organize my halloween into totes and right now I think it's more of a mess than not and at the worst time of year too. I'm sure there will be more I'm looking for but taking it one at a time.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
When that happens it's usually because I've gone through one of my "we've got too much crap around here and I can't take it anymore" moods and purged every closet and storage compartment in the house. No regrets though. I'd much rather replace something when I decide I need it than hold onto things forever just in case I might need it someday. I've cleaned out the homes of a couple of family members who were borderline hoarders and it was enough to set me straight! ;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
This is my state of being, and it's getting worse all the time. Too much stuff. Then, like today, I find something I'd forgotten about only to put it aside (because I was looking for something else) knowing that some time later I'll remember seeing it but totally forget where.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,099 Posts
SAME HERE!!

It's worse with Halloween & Christmas stuff because I'm usually hiding that stuff here & there. I will inevitably find something in June, under the bed or in a closet, that was supposed to be for someone for last Christmas or I find that HomeGoods Halloween purchase that was supposed to be the perfect thing on the mantle last year.

I literally do it at least once a week with other stuff in general. Bought some Tiger Balm, it's on the receipt, I put it somewhere but where I have no frickin' clue!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Then there's the corrallery (sic?), which is finding things you forgot you bought on clearance. It's kind of like Christmas.

I do not remember buying 12 skeletons. Seems like I would remember doing that even if it was over the course of a few years.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am so afraid this is going to be me, because other than holiday decorating, I do this with everything. Right now all my holiday stuff for every holiday, Halloween, Christmas, Easter, etc etc is all in the crawlspace under the stairs. This is possible because I didn't have many large props. I used to store other things in there, but it's grown enough in the last 5 years that I can't, there isn't room. But now I MAKE larger props. I made two fair sized tombstones last year, I've got three in various states of completion behind me right now, and I have hopeful plans of more. I also have some larger props I'm planning for Christmas, and the crawlspace is busting at the seams already. I'm going to have to start storing things elsewhere if not this year then next, and then I'll never remember where the heck anything is.

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
I think we'd all be rich if we had a penny for every time this happened.

Right now, everything is on hold for me because of my second job at Scare Farm. I was trying to get my tombstones done and I know I picked up a sureform shaver last winter. I have no idea where it ended up, and it's been driving me crazy! I've been using other tools instead, because I am not buying another one. I know the minute I do, the original will show up.
I can't wait for the main build to be done at Scare Farm so I can get back to work on my own haunt.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't been looking too hard for that turquoise light I started the thread off with looking for...and it hasn't turned up where I thought was most logical, but now I'm looking for a hole saw that I bought to use on a low-lying fog ice chest fogger that I'm still waiting to build. I really need a workshop space. I need to fit a piece of PVC into a t-connector for my Mantis prop and I know it's the best way to do it. At his point not even sure what I bought before (remember it was white painted metal too) is the diameter I need. I find stuff like this to be more annoying than feeling time is getting short for project work.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oh yes! Experiencing this rite now. I know I have several heavy duty tent stakes...I used them last year!! But I can Not find them. I refuse to get back into the attic to look its way too hot.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey! Just found my turquoise light. And hadn't remembered that I bought 2 of them at that time. Great because I think I'm going to need 2 to get the coverage I want. Apparently I put them back in a Michaels bag with some skeleton keys and small stamps from my purchase that day back in January and it got set aside in one of my storage areas. Real sense of relief since I had checked my lighting bins and looked just about everywhere for the light fixture or a box from it. Now for the hole saw... Good luck everyone in finding your misplaced item/s.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts