Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night a young man and his new wife visited Ravens Grin,he used to come here many years ago. Near the conclusion of the tour of my house he asked me if i still had a certain thing here or not?
I began laughing when I thought more about that "Thing". When i got this house there was a mystery hole up high at the back of the wine cellar. Large amounts of rain water would come pouring out of it?
I dug some holes in my backyard until i located a 10 inch clay tile placed there to move all of the rain water from the two roofs of two downtown store buildings about 100 feet away. they originally carried the rain water to the edge of the cliff and dumped it into the small creek behind my house, but maybe the end of the tile collapsed?
I plugged the end of the tile and disconnected the spouting from it at the other end.
So now I had a big hole in my backyard that went straight down 20feet to the floor of the wine cellar!
I poured concrete around the hole, leaving a square hole in the center so I could keep people from wandering into the yard and then falling into a 20 foot deep hole!
I then used a bunch of old, weathered lumber and built an :Outhouse" on the cement, with a locked door. (No Smelly "Contributions Please!")
I eventually put a chain and pipe "ladder down this hole, after I build a realistic looking seat-interior for the outhouse, pieces easily lifted out of the way if climbing up or down the ladder had to happen.
This was much more for "Looks" than usage but I did allow a few athletic young types to make the odd journey up or down the hidden ladder.
I totally changed all of this many years ago,it's all gone. Sealed off now.
It was FUN! Fun also repeated from it's memory , the other night.

Reactions: Wolfbeard

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Isn't it funny, the things people remember and the things that make an impression!

This year we spent hundreds of dollars on my son's birthday, as usual. What present does he turn to time and time again? Some $8 Super Mario hat, this cheap little thing we picked up. I said to my husband, "We could have just bought the hat and saved $392."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts