Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday afternoon here where I work, they sent out an email message announcing a pumpkin decorating contest with prizes. Even though it was very late notice, I decided to give it a go. So between the hours of 11:30 pm and 3 am this morning, I completed my pumpkin decorating. I was eager to win second prize (movie tickets) and my competition looked too cute for me not to place. I asked the coordinator what time we are to pick up our pumpkins this afternoon, only to find out that they are all going to be donated to another event tomorrow for kids with diabetes. It was in the fine print at the bottom of the email that I didn't read very well apparently. So before the judging could start, I withdrew my pumpkin entry all because I don't wanna give my pumpkin away. I mean mine is not even in the same category as the others when it comes to how they are decorated. The others have a Snoopy, Hello Kitty, an owl, a princess, an Angry Birds Pig, and Minions . Had I known it was for little kids, I would have gone the cute route too!
Can anyone empathize with me or am I the biggest Halloween pumpkin decorating jerk ever? :(

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Well, I'm certainly not going to call you the "biggest jerk" because that's a very broad category but, since you brought it up and you did ask, my reply is, jeez it was only a pumpkin. It will rot in few days anyway. Would it have killed you to donate it?

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
LOL. I think we all kind of still have that little kid inside...you were either a kid who always shared or one who held on to what is "mine". The body just gets bigger, hehe.

One year I spent hours working on a few pumpkins. One of them was the Phantom of the Opera guy. Took it to work and my boss who knew the people producing the Phantom of the Opera play in town (this was Chicago, kind of a big deal), wanted to give my pumpkin to them to display on the stage or in the lobby. He said they would flip over it. I did this kind of reverse 3D carving which I don't really see done. Knowing how well he knew the people involved it probably would have happened; but like you, after spending so much time designing a pumpkin carving that I loved myself and was proud of, I just couldn't part with it even for some very public recognition. Turned down offers to sell it too. I was fine with getting my office's kudos for it. It's really a labor of love. Somewhere I still have a color photo of it packed away, just don't know where. I really should find it and scan it before it gets lost. If I do locate it. I'll post on the forum.

Do you have a photo of your pumpkin to share? would love to see it and it will last longer in cyberspace than it will in real life.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nothing wrong with removing your pumpkin from the competition especially when there were other pumpkins to go to the event. It's not like you yanked it out of the hands of a diabetic kid or reneged on a cash donation, you simply didn't realize the pumpkin you created and devoted much time to creating would not be yours to keep. Besides, you'll appreciate your jack o more than anyone else:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
the last thing you want is for kids to be given a really scary pumpkin they want donations of the more kid like variety

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the age group of these children are around 6 years old and under for this. It can be seen in the pumpkins that were entered that mine was the odd man out (and wouldn't have picked up a prize because of it anyways). They already packed up quite a few of them but these are what were still hanging out on the tables. The rules specifically said no carving or candles and to decorate only. Well now I know for next year what to do for this. I gotta run for now but I will keep trying to upload the pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts