Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun!....I watched your Alan interview and the workshop sounds really cool....The guy I'd love to talk to is Mark Cline in Virginia but his workshops are very expensive and that's only if he decides to do one which right now he is not....He does fiberglass statues, really BIG statues....I don't want to do anything bigger than life size but I'd love to see his techniques to see if I can apply any of it to what I'm trying to do....If you've never sculpted before, you should pick up a pound of super sculpey at hobby lobby ($15) because it doesn't dry out ( doesn't cure until it's put in the oven) so you can use it over and over again to get a feel for how it works....I was bored last weekend because it was raining, I was backing up some very large files on the computer so while I was waiting for that to finish, I had some super sculpey sitting there from years ago....I never really caught on when I got it so it's just been setting there....I had to condition it because it was dry and brittle so you basically just keep squeezing it in a ball, kneading like dough until it becomes workable....I surprised myself with some of the things I was sculpting so I looked on youtube for tips and tricks and found "ace of clay"....That guy recently did a lot of miniature monsters, probably for Halloween content but man, that changed my thought process tremendously and the next thing I know I'm down at hobby lobby buying more super sculpey, clay roller, sculpting tools, etc....I never realized all the "details" I love in professional props is done in the clay before casting - wood grain, cracks, etc....It's like, I knew technically how it was done but I didn't know I could do it to a satisfying level in so little time learning myself....I don't consider myself artistically inclined so it was a surprise....I'm hoping I can make a mold of the clay without curing it so I can keep reusing the clay....I made a quick silicone mold last night to test it, when I pulled the mold, the clay looked melted with most of the detail gone but it looks like it made it to the mold before melting so I'll have to cast some fiberglass in it to see if it took....The clay was sticky at first but after about 10 minutes after removing the mold, it had the same consistency as when I started...I'm keeping it separated from the rest of the clay for awhile to make sure it's not contaminated in an obvious way before mixing it back in with the rest....I bought way more sculpting tools than I'll ever use but it's a great way to try many different things before settling in what tool works for me....Sometimes I'll just grab some clay and a tool I haven't used yet and try different things to see what it does....I'm definitely addicted already....I'll sub to your channel....Good Luck....ZR

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the comment and watching the show. It’s funny you mention Ace of Clay because if you look through my videos, you’ll see I did a video about him AND I’m actually suppose to interview Anthony (Ace Of Clay) at some point.
My next “rebuild” video involves Sculpey. Check it out and please stay tuned for that next video! Have an awesome day!!

Sounds like a lot of fun!....I watched your Alan interview and the workshop sounds really cool....The guy I'd love to talk to is Mark Cline in Virginia but his workshops are very expensive and that's only if he decides to do one which right now he is not....He does fiberglass statues, really BIG statues....I don't want to do anything bigger than life size but I'd love to see his techniques to see if I can apply any of it to what I'm trying to do....If you've never sculpted before, you should pick up a pound of super sculpey at hobby lobby ($15) because it doesn't dry out ( doesn't cure until it's put in the oven) so you can use it over and over again to get a feel for how it works....I was bored last weekend because it was raining, I was backing up some very large files on the computer so while I was waiting for that to finish, I had some super sculpey sitting there from years ago....I never really caught on when I got it so it's just been setting there....I had to condition it because it was dry and brittle so you basically just keep squeezing it in a ball, kneading like dough until it becomes workable....I surprised myself with some of the things I was sculpting so I looked on youtube for tips and tricks and found "ace of clay"....That guy recently did a lot of miniature monsters, probably for Halloween content but man, that changed my thought process tremendously and the next thing I know I'm down at hobby lobby buying more super sculpey, clay roller, sculpting tools, etc....I never realized all the "details" I love in professional props is done in the clay before casting - wood grain, cracks, etc....It's like, I knew technically how it was done but I didn't know I could do it to a satisfying level in so little time learning myself....I don't consider myself artistically inclined so it was a surprise....I'm hoping I can make a mold of the clay without curing it so I can keep reusing the clay....I made a quick silicone mold last night to test it, when I pulled the mold, the clay looked melted with most of the detail gone but it looks like it made it to the mold before melting so I'll have to cast some fiberglass in it to see if it took....The clay was sticky at first but after about 10 minutes after removing the mold, it had the same consistency as when I started...I'm keeping it separated from the rest of the clay for awhile to make sure it's not contaminated in an obvious way before mixing it back in with the rest....I bought way more sculpting tools than I'll ever use but it's a great way to try many different things before settling in what tool works for me....Sometimes I'll just grab some clay and a tool I haven't used yet and try different things to see what it does....I'm definitely addicted already....I'll sub to your channel....Good Luck....ZR
for the

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thank you so much for the comment and watching the show. It’s funny you mention Ace of Clay because if you look through my videos, you’ll see I did a video about him AND I’m actually suppose to interview Anthony (Ace Of Clay) at some point.
My next “rebuild” video involves Sculpey. Check it out and please stay tuned for that next video! Have an awesome day!!

for the
Just watched your Ace of Clay video....Couldn't have said it better myself...Weird how by coincidence, the same guy inspired us both, to give it another try with much better results using his techniques.....I'll keep an eye out for your interview with him....Definitely interested what he has to say....Thanks.....ZR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts