Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few props that need some TLC.

Most of the patients are the small to medium hanging Styrofoam head ghouls and zombies. These props mostly need the head firmly reattached to the metal rod.

Any ideas on how to secure the head well and maybe improve upon the original design?

Also any other good fixer ideas on non-electronic props?

Happy almost Halloween everybody.

·
Registered
48 Posts
best stuff I've used on a poly bases product is wood glue (we call it PVA) it's white glue, water based. Not too sure about what glue's you have available over there (Im in Australia). I also would expand your stuff.. so build up the facial features with Aluminium foil, and pin it in place with regular nail-headed tailors or dressmakers pins then Paper mache over the top. I also used PVA watered down (50/50 ratio) and kitchen paper towel. You can get some seriously awesome coverage, and texture using this stuff. :D

Mannequin Shoulder Joint Dress Sculpture
Head Nose Sculpture Beak Art
Face Head Sculpture Chin Art

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
My favorite bonding agent when working with foam of any variety is polyurethane glue (like Gorilla Glue or Elmer's Glue All Max) - it expands as it dries and cures, and develops into a hard foam itself. So, if you squeeze it into the hole in the foam head where the wire sits and is loose, it will expand to fill the hole and lock the rod in place.
It's carvable, sandable, paintable, and waterproof once cured.
It does take a good 6-8 hours to really set up cure most of the way, so it's not a fast glue.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Liquid nails is a brand name. Be careful with products designed for wood because some of those will eat foam. I find the foamboard glue works well but I would not recommend it as a filler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts