Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never set foot in a Spirit store. We get Halloween Express in town and the nearest Spirit Store is about 70 miles due east.

So on that note.. Is it worth the drive? Or are the dozen or so stores that carry halloween only a few miles from my house good enough?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,606 Posts
Spirit carries a lot of items unique to their store (exclusives) so doubtful you'll see a lot of the same stuff. IMO, for a real Halloween fanatic, a 70 mile trip is worth it. Even if you don't buy anything, I think you'll enjoy the set up and inventory. My sense is there will be something you'll like and purchase.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Halloween Express isn't as good as Spirit, and there abit overpriced. The trip is definatly worth it. You could spend an easy hour or more in their store looking at all the great props and set ups. I drove 45 minutes out today because I heard there was a rather large Spirit in that area, only to find out when I got there that it was closed. The funny thing is I have one 10 minutes from my house :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Halloween Express isn't as good as Spirit Halloween. The major difference is that Spirit Halloween carries more props, while Halloween Express focuses more on costumes than props.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just make sure it's one of the larger stores and carries all the props first. I got skunked going to one in the mall that was very under stocked. They were in the process of opening one of the larger ones within 5 minutes of the mall store. I jot to see some costumes and the little stuff.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Spirit is kind of expensive too though, aren't they?

That being said...I have gotten a couple of really amazing smaller props there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You've never gone into a Spirit Halloween store? It's like I don't even know you anymore. Hehehe just kidding. :D Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you order online if it's too far? Unless you're the kind of person who doesn't trust buying stuff online.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
If you are going to make the trip, make sure the store is completely set up. The closest store to me was and the one I went to yesterday wasn't. They didn't even have the normal store props set up yet nor any of the animated stuff. You don't want to go to a location that isn't ready and you're just looking at boxes. It's quite a different shopping experience although the merchandise is the same. If you have a long drive to reach one, plan ahead and see what other stores you can visit in the area that will make the trip a great one.

BTW if you get QVC via cable or satellite, Spirit Halloween will be on QVC for a hour tonight showcasing some of their props. I know the Gemmy animated countess will be one of them. I live on the west coast and their segment is on at 6pm PDST (for appx. 1 hr.) my time zone. You can also watch QVC online live, just log onto their website and look for the "Watch Live TV" button on the left. This would be just a small sampling of what they carry.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
We have ordered from Spirit online and have had pretty good luck. Some bats arrived with the ears broken - but glue-able. I think a trip to ANY halloween store is worth it - even if just to get more ideas and to enjoy a drive. Pack some sand-witches and put in some spooky music. You'll be there in no time! Then see what else that same town has to offer in the way of Halloween. They may have some cool second-hand stores -or other commercial outlets that have a section devoted to all things Hallowed. Be adventurous and any case - enjoy! BOO!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,327 Posts
In my area, the Spirit stores are okay, but the Halloween Express tends to be cheaper compared to them (but still pricey compared to other stores). That being said, they do have some pretty cool props that HE won't have.

It depends on what sort of display you do, as well. If you do gore/freaky/large animatronics then it's worth the drive in my opinion.

(and just my experience, but the Spirit store employees always seem annoyed and unhelpful compared to the HE ones - not that it stops me )

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Last year I drove an hour to go to a Spirit store. It was pretty cool they had a lot of stuff, but they had way more costumes than I expected. Only a small portion of the store was decorations :( Halloween express was the same, only they had even more costumes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts