Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well thats an under statement I despise the the wind. I get home today from work to find both columns blown down both laterns ripped off the top and broken all kinds of damage to the columns some tomb stones blown down and around. Some other misc. items out of place. I am so super pissed off I just want to put everything away F%@KING WIND now I am watching the news and there like it was very windy today gusts up 40-50mph NO SHEIT!!!
Sorry I had to vent and I still may want to later again!!!!

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
We too lost one of our pillars when the wind caught the gates last week. Of course this happened the night before we went out of town, so it had to sit there for 6 days.
The lantern was shattered and the plywood side was crushed in. I am trying to make it look decent again, but we had to go an buy two new lanterns ( they don't carry the old ones any more) and the paint color is four layers, and two years old so I have to try and match that. It is very disheartening. We have never had a problem before, but they will be tied down better this time.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sorry to hear it....We can definitely understand as builders the frustration over how quickly the hard work can turn into sheit!...I've had wind and rain destroy stuff so I know!...I live in PA also and it seems like the closer to winter, the more windy it gets....That's the main reason I bought a 14 X 32 building so I could build props and also have a walk through that I could decorate whenever I felt like it and not have to worry about wind/rain destroying all the stuff....So, the stuff doesn't have to be weather proof AND I can start decorating it ANY time of the year because it's totally enclosed and I don't have to worry about weird looks from the neighbors if I decide to start decorating in July....Like I did this year :D....I did build a facade for outside the doorway and a pair of colomns kind of like yours but they don't go out til the day of the party....I DO have an OK yard and even a stretch of woods on the side but even though this is the first year I've done something inside, It far out ways all the years I've done things outside..... Bad points would be the expense of putting in a building- Mine was about $7000 after insulating and painting it all black inside :D...And your limiting yourself to that space for decorating but I see that as pushing your creative limits....However having a ceiling to mount lights/airlines and fog that doesn't blow away and a work space year long and somewhere to store the things that you build......I'd have a hard time going back....ZR

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
I have the same problem here in WA. We had a windstorm here yesterday and it made a mess of my haunt. My pirate ship actually took flight and landed in the street. My lamp post broke, the ship's wheel smashed, etc

I decided to bring some "troublesome" stuff in the garage until our party Saturday. Then I hope it makes it to the big day.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That's a drag! Sorry to hear about this. It almost seems that more important than the props themselves, is how well you secure it all. There really isn't much you can do for heavy wind, that's for sure. But the focus has to be on really, really securing the props and decorations super good. Very hard to do and sometimes it's just a losing battle. Good luck with the re-build!

Dan

·
Registered
683 Posts
Where I live in the hills I have a persistent 10-20mph breeze that just keeps killing my outdoor screen and pushing my foam epitaphs into the ground. Trying to figure out a more stable option for my halloween party this weekend...

Victor

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Lenghts of fairly heavy wood dowels [painted black] pushed in the ground behind, and if needed the sides of things and fastened to tombstones and props can do wonders. I always have a good supply of wood dowels for shoring up things. Wire hangers cut and bent into U shapes can be great anchores in the ground too. Twist ties, picture frame wire- those kind of things can be good means of securing stuff without being seen too much. But wood dowels- they are king for good stability and low profile.

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everyone who said it's all in how you secure it.

I laughed pretty hard at the mental picture of wind blowing tombstones down, heh.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
I have the same problem here in WA. We had a windstorm here yesterday and it made a mess of my haunt. My pirate ship actually took flight and landed in the street. My lamp post broke, the ship's wheel smashed, etc

I decided to bring some "troublesome" stuff in the garage until our party Saturday. Then I hope it makes it to the big day.
Pumpkin Princess, Oh yes, that lovely wind on Monday here in Washington. Had to find a tombstone and fix the graveyard fence after that one. Didn't have any major repair so far, knock on a wooden coffin!

You know bad weather is expected on Whidbey Island as the local Seattle channels all have news trucks parked along the western beaches, soon as I se them it's off for home and secure, secure, secure.

Sorry to hear about your "flying" dutchman:eek:, hope the repairs were not too significant...wind, it's such a pain in the arse.:mad:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i feel for you and totally understand where your coming from , every year the weekend before halloween we get hit with wind and wind guts that blows everything away even the most secured items on the ground give way , last year my husband and i wore outside at 3 am in our pj'S getting tombstones in the garage and props in before they all blew away or broke .....and to top it off we have cold and snow in between that.....

i hope you able to repair your damages :(

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
I spent the day repairing and securing everything, except the pirate ship. It's too big/heavy to do it alone. My husband is off this Friday and we are going to work on it.

My "to do" list has been drastically cut. There is so much to do and I'm so behind because of the storm. I'm going to have to scale back a little. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel for ya! I am soooooooooo demoralized. This wind was a complete shock for me-I'm from So FL and we don't have wind there at all except during a hurricane. I went out this morning to find almost all my fence destroyed & missing, my tombstones snapped (1" styro), and my witch's legs snapped (1/4" dowels) from the wind. I looked on our weather report and it forecasted we were having gusts up to 60mph...heck, that's tropical storm weather where I come from! I was already behind, and now I'm so depressed about having to re-do most of my stuff...and can't even begin until this wind dies down!

...next year I'll know better...build sturdier, (secured the best I could with gas pipes & elect/water lines running underneath my graveyard), decorate later, and watch the weather! ;)

Hope we all can curb the frustration, and fix/build it all....it's worth it....right?! :(

·
crossfit zombie
7,452 Posts
I know the wind here was awful.Blew over my resin tombstones and my skinny donna that had a cinder block on the base.
Edited to add some of my tombstones are on metal stands that hubby made with a brick as wt one of them blew over but none
of my duct taped to dowels budged.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts