Halloween Forum banner

I hate spirit gum adhesive!!!!!!!!!!!

11K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  propboy 
#1 ·
ive been working with makeup for a long time now but for some reason spirit gum just never really does the trick unless u glob it on ur face and then it just never satifies me still
any other adhesives people out there recomend to make things more productive for me
or any ways u can strengthen spirit gum with other ingredients?
thank u

#6 ·
I'm a Pros-Aide and pax paint man myself, but this Beta Bond has my interest. Does it use remover like Pros-aide? If not, I might be interested.

Otherwise, I'll "stick" (BWA-Hahahaha!) with what I know.

#10 ·
Pros-aide is great, works well with foam latex appliances. The appliance will not be reusable after adhering with the pros-aide because you have to use remover. Oh, and the beta bond uses the same remover too. Fair warning, if you are a man, make sure you are clean shaven-my husband was picking pros-aide out of goatee for days after last year!

#13 ·
I studied theatre in college and in makeup class, we learned that you have to apply the spirit gum to the face, let it set for a bit (30-60 seconds) then apply the hair or latex appliance. you don't really want to put them on when it's really wet because this will allow slippage and you won't get a good bond. Also, you said that you have to apply lots to get it to stick. Actually, you should be able to put a rather thin layer on to get it to work. just make sure that you are applying it evenly and not in blotches or getting too many brush strokes in it.

before you begin, make sure your face is very very clean and dry, too. If you start to sweat or tend to sweat a lot, you will find that having a clean and dry face is harder to acheive. Try washing your skin before you start with bar soap. This tends to dry up your skin and tighten the pores. That may help too...but you also might get dry skin...so, put on some lotion or moisturizer once the makeup is removed and you've cleaned your face at the end of the night.

Hope these suggestions help!

#15 ·
I don't get good results with spirit gum either. I always use liquid latex. I put some on the prosthetic appliance and some on my face. Let dry, then put the appliance on. Be careful, though, If you don't put it on right the first time, you'll have to start over. It stays on my face all night!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.