Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband has to have a SURPRISE! triple bypass next week. With recovery time and since I am his only local family I'm going to be late putting Halloween out and may have to cancel the annual party. I haven't even finished rewiring the pumpkins because my schedule being turned upside down.

I am so worried about him. I am just freaking out about everything. Not putting stuff out obviously wouldn't be the end of the world but it's disappointing since I have worked so hard this year on it.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope that everything goes well, and that he heals quickly. I also hope that you are able to get as much done as you would like to do. I had to cut mine down a few years ago, and I just haven't gotten back in the swing of it really. On the other hand, it made it easier to deal with things not working out, like the weather!

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Health is far more important; while missing putting your plans into play may be disheartening, the holiday will come around again, whereas people are irreplaceable. Best of luck.

·
Registered
934 Posts
So my husband has to have a SURPRISE! triple bypass next week. With recovery time and since I am his only local family I'm going to be late putting Halloween out and may have to cancel the annual party. I haven't even finished rewiring the pumpkins because my schedule being turned upside down.

I am so worried about him. I am just freaking out about everything. Not putting stuff out obviously wouldn't be the end of the world but it's disappointing since I have worked so hard this year on it.
Oh didn't you hear? 2016 sucks, really really sucks. Completely sucks. I have conceded that this is a terrible year and that 2017 will be better.

I hope everything goes smoothly for your husband. I'll keep him in my thoughts.

It's almost cathartic to admit that for me. 2016 is terrible but 2017 will be better.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
I understand exactly where you are coming from. At the beginning of June my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Two weeks later he had surgery and a month of recovery before starting chemo. Chemo will go till December and then there will be more surgery. And recovery. I agree - it sucks!
Do what you must for your family but be careful not to drain yourself dry in the process. Believe me, it can happen. I am doing a much smaller Halloween display than usual but I am doing something because I need the distraction from all the crap going on in real life. Try and find something you can still do and enjoy when time allows and don't feel guilty about it. Illness of a spouse and caring for that spouse is one of the most stressful things we will ever go through. Take care of yourself too!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think New Years Celebrations for 2017 will be extra enthusiastic, because by all accounts this year is bad for everyone.

I hope the bypass goes well, and that you'll be able to find a way to enjoy Halloween anyway.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I understand exactly where you are coming from. At the beginning of June my husband was diagnosed with cancer. Two weeks later he had surgery and a month of recovery before starting chemo. Chemo will go till December and then there will be more surgery. And recovery. I agree - it sucks!
Do what you must for your family but be careful not to drain yourself dry in the process. Believe me, it can happen. I am doing a much smaller Halloween display than usual but I am doing something because I need the distraction from all the crap going on in real life. Try and find something you can still do and enjoy when time allows and don't feel guilty about it. Illness of a spouse and caring for that spouse is one of the most stressful things we will ever go through. Take care of yourself too!
Madame Leota, I am so sorry to hear of this. My son is also going thru chemo for a very rare lymphoma. It is difficult and, contrary to what i posted before, I DO not sit around wailing and moaning and worrying. So maybe I was a bit harsh.

I am sending prayers for your husband's recovery and a lessening of your burdens.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lilibat and Madam Leota., I can completely understand. I took care of my wife for 13 years mmyself.We came home to care for family and never thought it would what it became. And you are right nothing sucks more than seeing the one you love sick or hurt or whatever maybe wrong. There where hard days and bad days and days i was so tired I didn't think I could do anymore. There where days I would cry because I was so mad at everything and everybody because it was so unfair to me to see my wife have everything taken at 36. Somehow we still laughed end found everything in life that was fun,but in all honesty we have always been silly/stupid. We didn't have kids so we never grew up. No matter how hard the days get or much you hurt hold on and let the love you have for each other get you through cause love will kick the *** off everything else. Sorry so long and preachy. Its just something very close to my heart. Wish you both the best.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear that Lilibat it is an extensive surgery and recovery. I know I had OHS 3 years ago last July. Now a days it is a fairly common surgery, I am sure it will be successful and he will have a full recovery. It is a tough few weeks at the beginning, make sure he follows all of the Doctor's breathing and walking exercises, it really helps with the recuperation. I did not have a by-pass so I didn't have to deal with the leg incisions, I know they are painful to heal as well. I will keep him in my prayers for speedy recovery.

1,293 Posts
I'll add my well wishes and happy thoughts to the mix.

It's hard to be the only care taker for someone, been there done that. Hard to balance your disappointment at NOT being able to do what you want and NOT letting them know caring for them is hurting you in little ways with their needs for care and keeping their spirits up. Remember this is fresh, brand new to you. One never knows how things will go, maybe it won't be as rough as you are now imagining. Maybe you'll be able to do a Halloween Lite version of what you have been planning. Maybe all those folks who look forward to your party are willing and able to jump in and make it happen for you if you ask.

One piece of advise I think all of us who are or have been care givers is do not forget to take care of yourself. Running yourself down, making yourself totally unhappy won't help anyone in the end. Again sending good thought to both of you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts