Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year was our most epic year.

Just a yard display but it was nearly all we could have ever wanted it to be.

We had right around 400 kids come to the house I had 5 people wandering around front of the house dressed up. It was just awesome.

It was also the time I had to notify my neighbors that we were moving... :( Most them were pretty sad as we are "that house" as many of you also are. We decorated for every holiday.

Well now we are in our new house. Smaller single story corner lot. And I am having a hard time motivating to even start thinking of how I want to set the place up.

UGh...

Not even really sure what the point of this post was really just venting I guess.... I do have a few ideas.... but I have not moved toward them at all yet. Wife just put up the Easter decor for right now ... but then its on!.... well I guess 4th of July decor first but then...!

Thanks for letting me vent :)

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Maybe inspiration will hit when the date gets closer.
There's nothing wrong with gradually building back into it, either. You could have a more modest setup this year, get to know the strengths and weaknesses of your lot, pathways the ToTs take, and so on.
I wish you the best, and hope the season is still great fun for you, whatever direction it takes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not to threadjack, but we are moving also, and everything is up in the air. Everything. Our moving date can be anywhere from July to December. Boy am I excited and happy, not.
I think you have to let the spirit of Halloween guide you. No matter how small, how cramped, how little you have to work with, think how wonderfully you can make that small area look.
Sometimes a smaller display can be just as great as a huge one. I have tons upon tons of stuff, but have always toyed with the idea of letting our home look like a haunted or abandoned house, instead of a decorated home. No string lights, no full size figures. Just lots of leaves, spiderwebs, a few jack o lanterns, some raggedy curtains, a few candles in the windows, an empty rocking chair in the porch, dead plants withered by the door and entrance. Add a spooky soundtrack or sound effects, and maybe people would be more freaked out ToTing than a brightly lit house with tons of props?
Good luck and have fun! I am sure you will bring it in October.

·
Registered
306 Posts
With a new place I think it's going to take some time to get a "feel" for what's right. I'm going to be bouncing around for the next few years myself and I admit it's disheartening thinking about it. But I like to have different themes each year so change is good, for me anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Vent away! It's good for you. :)
For me, when I am stuck for idea's its usually because I'm tired or stressed. Don't sweat it, the inspiration will come.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:DMy suggestion? Get excited! You are in a whole new neighborhood, you can bring Halloween to a whole new group of kids. It doesn't have to be the same, it never is. Come up with a plan, sketch out what you want to do and BRING IT! This is a chance to be a new shining star for a whole new group of people. Life changes, things change, but Halloween can always be spectacular! Roll with it!;):D You will be "THAT HOUSE" again, very soon. Come on, open up, and take a big BITE!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just recently hubby and I were talking about moving. Although we live in a wonderful neighbourhood with awesome neighbours, we really want to live on larger land. i told hubby that if we were to move it has to be a house that is on a street great for decorating for Halloween. lol. I'm surprised he didn't kill me. Haha.

Good luck with the move and don't be disheartened by the change. I'm sure you will have some wonderful ideas…just stand out the front of your house and take it all in and I'm sure ideas will come flooding in :)

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
Yep; pretty much that ^.

If it helps in any way, we moved to a different state prior to last Halloween, and after many years of being 'That House', secure in the knowledge that we had several hundred devoted ToTs showing up every year, we found ourselves suddenly displaced.

Not only did we find ourselves in a new neighborhood with absolutely no reputation, and no built-in 'clientele', we also did it at a time of year that really didn't allow for much planning.

Admittedly, it was disorienting, and we did find it a bit difficult to get ourselves going. There were more than a few 'what's the point?' moments, but I have to say, once I got the notebook out, and started scribbling down some ideas, things finally started to flow.

Was it our ideal year? No. However, we did quickly develop a small new group of fans now. All of a sudden, we had a brand-new crop of young people that I wouldn't dare disappoint. A whole new batch of impressionable young people that might be inspired to haunt when they get their first new house.

Ultimately, I guess what I'm saying is that while it might seem that you face an obstacle, you may actually been granted an opportunity.

Enjoy it, and best of luck in 2015! ;)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
...new house. Smaller single story corner lot...
Corner lot! Opportunities!

Something I've done a couple of times (to try and come up with new ideas on what to do), is to get pictures of the front of the house from the middle of the street (just as long as you don't have to dodge traffic) - and to do so in both the daytime as well as the night time.

From there, it's time to sketch. I use Photoshop and a tablet to do it in the computer, but if that's not available, print out the pic's and lay tracing paper over them (or just sketch right on them).

No right or wrong answers on that - everything is good (I've contemplated entire facades for my house of cardboard and wood - I've envisioned a dragon that could open it's wings - bones of a giant - huge tentacles from an elder god wrapping over the house - a huge illuminated image of the moon with silhouettes of witches flying across...to name a few)

Check the ambient lighting on your yard at night: where do the streetlights illuminate? Do the neighbors have lighting that you'll need to contend with? Are there any interesting or limiting landscape artifacts in your yard or the neighbors yards to contend with? Never know where an idea can stem from...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts