Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting a talking skull for years now and after doing a lot research and looking around I picked the new talking skull from Frightprops. I felt that for the money it was the best bang for the buck and I love how they designed their own skull from the ground up to use. I put mine on a costco pose n stay and the colors matched up perfectly!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Cool skull! But OUCH!!!! $349??? Seems a little high, considering it's not a 3-axis. Although not having to program anything is probably worth a bit to some people, I guess.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I felt that the price was just right considering this skull is made from the ground up its not just a rebuilt lindberg skull or anything. they did an amazing job in the design of this thing. everything is mounted to a single piece and it just slides right out the back of the skull as one piece if you ever needed to work on it. not having the cut across the top and the screws sticking into the forehead was a big plus for me. overall I am really happy with the skull so far even at its price point. actually when I did all of my research this is one of the cheapest talking skulls you can buy with these features, I found other companies like skull tronix wants 1300 for their bare bones talking skull. Other companies wanted around the same price for linberg skulls without the moving eyes etc for this price as well. and most required a computer to be connected to it all times to work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Big ant,

I am thinking about buying a 3 axis skull or talking skull. Would you still recommend the fright props skull? What options did you get with it if any? It looks like you got the LEd eyes. Did you get the neck movement option? Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I really want a talking skull but is there any way to eliminate that annoying squeak from the servo that moves the jaw? It is very distracting to me.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I really want a talking skull but is there any way to eliminate that annoying squeak from the servo that moves the jaw? It is very distracting to me.
There's a couple things you have to keep in mind about this. The YouTube videos are typically shot with a camera that is very close to the subject and the dialog audio volume is usually low, end result is the camera mic picking up the servo motor noise. Once your prop is set up in your haunt, there are other things going on, the dialog volume is typically louder, and most people won't be close enough to the Skull to hear the servo. I have multiple talking and 3-Axis Skulls in my Haunted Graveyard Show, tons of people have seen it and no one hears the servos. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks- I want to use it in a slightly quieter setting as a greeter in a haunted Victorian parlor with maybe a track of whispering in the background- once they pass thru a "gateway" (for lack of a better term,) they will hear more ghost-like moaning and shrieks, but the parlor will be dark and ominous with just the whispers and the greeters spiel.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Thanks- I want to use it in a slightly quieter setting as a greeter in a haunted Victorian parlor with maybe a track of whispering in the background- once they pass thru a "gateway" (for lack of a better term,) they will hear more ghost-like moaning and shrieks, but the parlor will be dark and ominous with just the whispers and the greeters spiel.
If you can keep everyone at least 10 feet away and experiment with the dialog volume, I'm sure you'll be fine. I also like to limit the jaw open setting to about 3/4" measured between the front teeth, this keeps the servo travel very short and also gives the best realism.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I would add that I don't think mine are as loud as it is picked up on my phone for some reason. Like j-Man said though, my haunt will have other distractions going on so I'm not sure you will hear the servos as much. I agree--a quiet servo would be nice. Not sure that is available yet. I'm new to the whole thing though.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I use strictly HITEC HS-425 Ball Bearing servos in my Skulls which are one of the quietest servos available and more importantly, one of the most reliable.
Because we as Haunters tend to be more susceptible to things that may not be "perfect", you also have to realize that your victims and patron are usually in awe of everything going on and typically don't hone in on some of the things that we do. ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big ant,

I am thinking about buying a 3 axis skull or talking skull. Would you still recommend the fright props skull? What options did you get with it if any? It looks like you got the LEd eyes. Did you get the neck movement option? Thanks
Yes!!! I love this thing! The only upgrade I got was the LED eyes and really I wouldnt recommend them they are fairly distracting and take away from the detail of the eyes themselves I feel. Also one of my LEDS quite working half way through the big night and I had to quickly unplug the other one as well to keep it from looking silly. Overall I am very pleased with this thing!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Yes!!! I love this thing! The only upgrade I got was the LED eyes and really I wouldnt recommend them they are fairly distracting and take away from the detail of the eyes themselves I feel. Also one of my LEDS quite working half way through the big night and I had to quickly unplug the other one as well to keep it from looking silly. Overall I am very pleased with this thing!
I agree with BIGANT on the LED's, I prefer the look without them. I also don't offer them as an option with moving eyes in my Skulls just for that reason, the wiring tends to break sooner or later no matter what you do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts