Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we were at work on lunch break, and got onto the subject of Ebay. We were talking about what we bought most off ebay, and when I said horror/halloween props...........the 4 of them looked at like I'm a freak, and I was the subject of conversation for the next 5 minutes. :( Even got asked if I was "into voodoo and all that". :confused:
I don't understand, just because horror and halloween are interests of mine, I'm a freak? I don't think other people are weird for liking the things that they do! :mad:

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
You might come to appreciate that this little "mania" that we all share is better kept quiet. Some, in fact MOST people don't see things the way that we do. Especially in the UK. Hang in there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't feel bad freudstein.

Be proud of your freakdom! Yes, you are a freak, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Here you are surrounded by likeminded freaks with similar interests. Don't try to hide what you are interested in...celebrate your uniqueness and stand tall when others give you that questioning look and proclaim proudly " Yes, I AM a freak....anyone want to see a dead body?)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't feel bad freudstein.

Be proud of your freakdom! Yes, you are a freak, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Here you are surrounded by likeminded freaks with similar interests. Don't try to hide what you are interested in...celebrate your uniqueness and stand tall when others give you that questioning look and proclaim proudly " Yes, I AM a freak....anyone want to see a dead body?)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Us haunters are unique. We love what we do and don't have to explain why we do it. Hang in there and do your thing. Just don't let the none believers corrupt your thoughts.

Have them stop by and then scare the YELL out of them. Show them how great it is when they wet their pants.

Keep up the spirit of haunting. MUUHAAHAA!!!

·
likes candy & razorblades
1,085 Posts
i picked up a pram, or baby carriage, from the 40s last week. it was raining for two weeks so i left it in my car and drove it around because to get to teh storage was a drag when its raining.

i had so many comments about that carriage. what was i going to do with it? why would i buy it? am i going to put it in the garden? Do i collect dolls?

Well, im bringing it to a haunted house! Its going to get all creepified and probably have some dead baby dolls in it isnt that great?!?!?!

*crickets*

*that look*

Ummm..you are doing what with it?

I revel in my oddness...LOL

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Yesterday, I bought a larger, hinged wooden box with letters carved in the sides at Michael's. A woman saw me with it and we had a bit of a conversation. It pretty much went:

Woman: "That's so cute, but it's cracked a little. What are you going to do with it, anyways?"
Me: "Well, I'm going to use it to make a creepy jack-in-the-box for Halloween, so I really don't mind the shape that it's in. That'll just give it more character."
Woman: "Isn't it a little early for Halloween?"
Me: "Not really. I love Halloween, and it's never too early to get started."
Woman: "Oh...okay."
And that was that:rolleyes: People who aren't Halloween enthusiasts just don't get it.

Also, freudstein, I, too, have been labeled so many different things by random people and asked so many stupid questions, so don't take it too personally. A couple of the 'best' questions from customers at my work were, "Mid evil? What is that, between good and evil?" (asked about one of my chokers; it's medieval, moron:p), and, "Are you a sadist?" (oh, yeah, I definitely get off on abusing people:rolleyes:).

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
One of my favorites was going into sears in about august to buy a new chainsaw for the haunt. Im in there looking for something that starts real well and easy, because we all know there is noting less climactic than an actor pulling his rope on a chainsaw that wont start. So I get approached by a little old man about 80 years old that works there, I tell him im just looking for a chainsaw that starts real easy. He asks me what size trees im gonna be cutting down so he can help me pick out the right size saw. I tell him im not going to be cutting any trees, im just gonna be using it to chase children. I just got a very surprised look and a whole lot of stuttering, after I explained he seemed very relieved.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
There are many hobbies I've never heard of and don't even know that exist...When I first hear of them I usually make "that look" until I understand a little more...I think it's human nature really so I don't worry about it too much...My family and friend's understand I get just as much enjoyment out of creating props as I do having a party on the "Big Day" so it doesn't really matter....If my co-workers picked on me about VooDoo I'd laugh along with them and make silly jokes right along with them...This actually puts them more at ease with the subject and after awhile I can usually get them to understand it's nothing like that for me anyway....Joking along with people makes it more of a joke BETWEEN you and not AT you....Of course there are those that won't give you 2 seconds of their time on the subject so don't waste your time...It won't get you anywhere...MOST people don't fall in that category thankfully....ZR

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it's more of an enigma thing to others more than trying to make someone feel bad, it just might come off that way. I can see the passion people have here for the holiday because of the creative outlet it supplies. Those who don't get it probably have passions of their own that make you guys scratch your heads and think, "Really? Didn't know people were really into that." To each their own.

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
I have my neighbors think I am insane when the weather is nice in May and I am working in my garage on HALLOWEEN props. The people at my work think that I am crazy. At first I was embarassed or insulted by talking about Halloween in February. But now I have just decided some people golf, or garden and my HOBBY is Halloween. So if I want to do it all year round so be it. I am proud to be a FREAK and I feel lucky to love it so much. Other people are the
weirdos.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
It's probably the same look I give people when they tell me they go shopping and spend $300 on a purse. It's a look that says, "Really? Did I hear you correctly? I don't get that...".
Everybody has a thing that other people don't get. Don't feel insulted.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I've had this kind of reaction in the past from people who don't get it.

This is the response that has given me the best results when talking to those who 'don't get it'.

"You remember when you were a kid and there was that one house that went all-out on Halloween, with weird music, or a creepy dummy or a lady that dressed up and scared you silly when you rang the bell? Remember how fun that one house was, and the kids all daring each other to go first? That house was likely one of your better Halloween memories.
Well, that house is my house. I make memorable Halloweens, and when I see the kids reactions, it's worth it."

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
"You remember when you were a kid and there was that one house that went all-out on Halloween, with weird music, or a creepy dummy or a lady that dressed up and scared you silly when you rang the bell? Remember how fun that one house was, and the kids all daring each other to go first? That house was likely one of your better Halloween memories.
Well, that house is my house. I make memorable Halloweens, and when I see the kids reactions, it's worth it."
That's a great answer!!!

I'd like to use that, or something like it, the next time a reporter asks me why I do what I do.

Very Nice Answer!!

Freudstein, don't worry about it too much -- diversity is life. I know I give people similar looks when they boast about their favorite sports team or get excited over a "hobby" like hunting. There are some things in this world that I just don't get. I feel bad for people that don't appreciate Halloween. That's why I'm so happy to have this site and these friends.

I feel that I am very lucky in that my family and neighborhood support me. My family may tease me from time to time, but when they actually see what I have built they're always very complimentary and impressed.

My neighbors are the same way. I love to set stuff up early, but I've always been very kid friendly. (I think the neighborhood would take a different approach if my haunt was all blood and guts.) They like to come around the whole month of October and see what I'm doing, talk to me, visit, etc. It's great! And I love to be known as "The Halloween House" or "The Pumpkin Guy".

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I live in a very nice neighborhood and today I was out in front of my house with all the doors open on my Hearse. (I'm doing the interior.) Two ladies were walking by with their strollers and so I said "Hi!". They were both looking at me, neither said a word, they just sped up their walking. Oh well, they must have been in awe of my Hearse 'cuz it looks better than their Mini-Van! LOL.

If all the people in the world were interested in the same thing, it would get awful boring around here. I'm with Spats, I do my haunted house so that people can forget their problems for awhile, enjoy themselves and see something that they can't see anywhere else. And it does make for great memories.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My co workers used to react like that. Now they ask me what kind of stuff I'm looking for and try to get if for me. And they tell me whenever they start seeing Halloween stuff in the stores.

But TODAY, a lady that works at ACE Hardware was trying to help me find something and asked me what I was using it for. I told her a Halloween prop. She says,"OH, Halloween." Then rudely/sarcastically says,"Yeah, I always wait until the last minute too." :mad:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts