Halloween Forum banner

I found my way back! And I need help -

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pbeck 
#1 ·
it has been quite some time since I have poked my head in here to see how things are going in Halloween town. Sadly illness and other family issues kept me from doing much celebrating last year. But I am finally feeling back up to the task (perhaps little too late). And so I come to you all in the hopes that maybe I get pick your wonderful minds for ideas that I may be overlooking.

My son (11) got to pick the Halloween theme this year and he chose "Knights". Pretty broad category I know. He wants to be a knight with the sword and armor and everything. I found a few tutorials for craft foam armor that does not look *too* terribly hard. The problem is this - we always do our theme as a group. There are 7 of us in total - 3 guys (11, 25, 40) and 4 girls (13, 16, 37, 61). We do lots of Renn Fairs and such, so the female clothing, and even knights clothing (sans armor) is not a big deal. The problem is this - my girls do want to be the "Pretty Princess" protected by the white knight. The younger girl asked if she could be a dragon and eat the knight (lol).

So WHAT can we do to go with Knights other than the typical Queen/Princess/Lady of the period. Her dragon idea was actually very good, I don't feel that I have the time or materials for something so big, especially since I am going to try to make 3 sets of foam armor in a month, plus go to work, and go to school - both full time.

I thought of a jester, which they disliked - they also killed the mage/wizard concept. I am running out of ideas that are not going to overtax the already lean supplies and time.

Any help that you wonderful people can give would be amazing. :D

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So costume ideas for 4 teens/women...

Every Ren Fest I've ever been to has had fairies. Super easy costume usually - wings of some kind and sparkly makeup and hair, pretty dresses of various lengths.
Target has some lovely butterfly wings for cheap, in 3 different colors. Blue example: https://www.target.com/p/kids-blue-...and-eek-boutique-153/-/A-52216578#lnk=sametab

I honestly wouldn't give up on the dragon. It doesn't have to be a full on everything perfect type of costume.

Target has dragon accessories online for not too terrible, so you might could buy a pair of wings or the mask and dress the youngest in color coordinated long sleeved teeshirt with scales (fabric paint?). A tail should be super easy to mock up for a 13 year old actually, but you can do some searches for basic dragon costumes that are easy to craft. I actually saw a super cool pajama onesie for an adult a few weeks ago that was a dino/dragon (had a tail!) at a local Goodwill store!

Unicorn?
Cool looking wig for $10 here and then could wear all white (or really any solid color - pink, blue, yellow) and add a long tail. I would check out the dollar stores for a cheap white wig to use as a tail if you can't find something suitable for cheap. Wrap it with duct tape on the end and pin to backside.

Honestly if it was me, I kind of would want to have all of the ladies be a fairies, or dragon or unicorn princesses - just different colored dresses.

I used a bunch of Target links, but obviously look around your area stores and don't forget to check out Craigslist and all of the thrift stores in your area. Goodwills in my area are putting out tons of costumes now, and they offer sales each week for colored tags so you could find an actual costume or accessories for way cheap (don't forget to look in the regular clothes sections and do a general sweep of the stores because lots of stuff that wouldn't be consider costume pieces might be scattered someplace you'd not checked out!

Reactions: Pbeck
#4 ·
Thanks guys, I had not really given much thought to faeries or unicorns at all. For some reason it never even crossed my mind. I will see how the kids feel about that one. We did faeries a few years ago, but I am sure we could do it better this time around.

#5 ·
Another option that might be quite funny for the ladies is to go as squires/pages for the knights - like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Long tabards, and two coconut halves to clip clop, as the knights "ride" their horses. Silly, but easy costumes and it doesn't matter if the squires are boys or girls really.

#6 ·
The younger girl asked if she could be a dragon and eat the knight (lol).
I like the way this kid thinks! No silly saved-by-the-Prince nonsense for her, she wants to be the Knight Killer Dragon!! ROCK ON LITTLE ONE!!:D

#8 ·
No silly saved-by-the-Prince nonsense for her, she wants to be the Knight Killer Dragon!!
Nope, no girly costumes for her! Zombies, bride of Frankenstein and I have already been told for next year which is her pick - some anime that she is obsessed with.

Celtic and/or Viking women warriors if the armor doesn't appeal?

I had not thought of this. I like that idea. I will pose it to the others and see what they think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.