Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter started kindergarten this year and I just got her progress report. She has an "S" in everything except reading concepts. I just dont think she is applying herself at school and I feel as if its my fault. :-( I read to her a lot...but I just dont know.

I just needed to vent. I try so freaking hard and I just feel like i am failing her and me.

Blah.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like kindergarten is so much more hardcore than when I was in it 20 years ago. I went to an informative meeting the other night and I felt slightly pressured with their requirements. I dont want her to be held back and it terrifies me. We go to the science center here quite often! We love it! I was so bummed that they took out the weather center though. I am a weather nerd, ha!

·
Registered
152 Posts
My daughter is in kindergarden now too, and can relate to some of this new pressure on kids to hyper-excell. I have tons of nieces and nephews and they all seem to learn at different levels and speeds. Kids also react to different methods of teaching. Just keep on reading and listening to her and I imagine that you both will be ok...

·
Spider Maven
1,468 Posts
You are not a failure and neither is your daughter. Kindergarten is a scary time. She will do fine.

Is 'S' Satisfactory? as opposed to an 'O' for outstanding? If that's the case, it's doubtful that she'll be held back.

I have two kidlets...ages 28 & 7...Kindergarten HAS changed a lot in 20 years. I couldn't believe the homework! And projects!

'7' tends to 'get' things a beat or two behind the rest of the class. Kindergarten was a nightmare for him, but 1st grade and his 1st grade teacher were amazing. He caught up and caught on quite nicely. Knock on wood 2nd grade is going nicely. (His kindergarten year was so bad he could hardly read when he got into 1st grade.)

Did your daughter go to daycare? Is this her first 'classroom' environment? If she was in daycare, was it a more relaxed environment where she didn't have to participate when she didn't want to? (This was the situation for my son) Talk with the teacher for suggestions to help her. It's going to be a lot of work for both of you--but it doesn't always have to seem like work.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My daughter is in kindergarden now too, and can relate to some of this new pressure on kids to hyper-excell. I have tons of nieces and nephews and they all seem to learn at different levels and speeds. Kids also react to different methods of teaching. Just keep on reading and listening to her and I imagine that you both will be ok...
It blew my mind all the stuff they had to know! I am keeping up what I have been doing.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are not a failure and neither is your daughter. Kindergarten is a scary time. She will do fine.

Is 'S' Satisfactory? as opposed to an 'O' for outstanding? If that's the case, it's doubtful that she'll be held back.

I have two kidlets...ages 28 & 7...Kindergarten HAS changed a lot in 20 years. I couldn't believe the homework! And projects!

'7' tends to 'get' things a beat or two behind the rest of the class. Kindergarten was a nightmare for him, but 1st grade and his 1st grade teacher were amazing. He caught up and caught on quite nicely. Knock on wood 2nd grade is going nicely. (His kindergarten year was so bad he could hardly read when he got into 1st grade.)

Did your daughter go to daycare? Is this her first 'classroom' environment? If she was in daycare, was it a more relaxed environment where she didn't have to participate when she didn't want to? (This was the situation for my son) Talk with the teacher for suggestions to help her. It's going to be a lot of work for both of you--but it doesn't always have to seem like work.
S is the best. She got an I in reading which means Improving. And omg yes...hw. I dont remember having hw in kindergarten. And I just got the calender for this month. Almost as much hw as I have!

She was in daycare the two years I worked. They were kinda slack though.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,277 Posts
one of the smartest and most successful guys i know was held back in kindergarten, and that was back when kindergarten was basically day care. i'm not saying she'll be held back, just that performance in kindergarten isn't necessarily indicative of intelligence or performance throughout the rest of school and life.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Wips and chains worked for my parents... kidding... it's for my wife (L).

I teached kids and teens for 8 years, and I made parents understand, everyone is different, so, some may be amazing at one subject but suck at something else too. Let the kids be kids and not robots. The most perfect children I ever saw were also some of the saddest and depressing ones. It's okay for kids to be kids. I am still shock in today's world when I see parents wanting their kids to be so perfect. I am sure they were perfect too as kids too(cought) (right)!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one of the smartest and most successful guys i know was held back in kindergarten, and that was back when kindergarten was basically day care. i'm not saying she'll be held back, just that performance in kindergarten isn't necessarily indicative of intelligence or performance throughout the rest of school and life.
Kindergarten was like a daycare when I was that age. My mind was blown with how kindergarten is now. I should just stop worrying. She read me a book the other night. If she is like me, she is shy and that could be posing issues if she is too embarrassed. That was my problem in my beginning years...I was too embarrassed to be smart! Now as a 25 yr old college student I dont care and have A's. Took me long enough!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wips and chains worked for my parents... kidding... it's for my wie (L).

I teached kids and teens for 8 years, and I made parents understand, everyone is different, so, some may be amazing at one subject but suck at something else too. Let the kids be kids and not robots. The most perfect children I ever saw were also some of the saddest and depressing ones. It's okay for kids to be kids. I am still shock in today's world when I see parents wanting their kids to be so perfect. I am sure they were perfect too as kids too(cought) (right)!
Im guilty about trying to make mine perfect. I should take a chill pill. I wanna say I was a perfect kid, but I would be lying lol. I gave my parents hell until my senior year in high school? *snort*

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,277 Posts
Kindergarten was like a daycare when I was that age. My mind was blown with how kindergarten is now. I should just stop worrying. She read me a book the other night. If she is like me, she is shy and that could be posing issues if she is too embarrassed. That was my problem in my beginning years...I was too embarrassed to be smart! Now as a 25 yr old college student I dont care and have A's. Took me long enough!
i was an intelligent kid, but i never much cared for school, especially during my younger years...which makes it ironic that i got a bachelor's degree, then a master's, then after working for awhile decided to go back to law school. for a guy who didn't like school, i spent 9 of my first 10 years out of high school as a student. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was an intelligent kid, but i never much cared for school, especially during my younger years...which makes it ironic that i got a bachelor's degree, then a master's, then after working for awhile decided to go back to law school. for a guy who didn't like school, i spent 9 of my first 10 years out of high school as a student. :)
I am impressed! That is pretty awesome how far you have come. And Law is pretty interesting!

Im just going for medical assisting, which is only an associates. I wanted to be a meteorologist but im just not in a prime location :-/

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,277 Posts
thanks! it's probably more impressive than it sounds though--i really just kept going to school because i wasn't ready to be an adult, lol. (sadly there's at least a *little* truth to that.)

and don't worry about "only" having an associates. as long as you have the education that allows you to do what you want to do, that's all you need--anything beyond that is just wasting time, at least practically speaking.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks! it's probably more impressive than it sounds though--i really just kept going to school because i wasn't ready to be an adult, lol. (sadly there's at least a *little* truth to that.)

and don't worry about "only" having an associates. as long as you have the education that allows you to do what you want to do, that's all you need--anything beyond that is just wasting time, at least practically speaking.
Is anybody ready to be an adult though?! But really. Lol

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,277 Posts
I know I am not ready and I am almost 30 lol!
assuming you were born in 87, don't cheat yourself out of the years between 26 and 30 by assuming you're already there--30 is when my body started falling apart on me, lol (or at least that's how i feel sometimes). the new 40 my ***...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts