Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck in a state of only partially getting things done! I want to finish putting things out, but they're calling for a huge storm on Sunday night and high winds all day Monday. At this point, I shouldn't even bother putting the rest of my items out, because I will literally just be making more work for myself tomorrow to bring them back in. It's bad enough that I have to take in over half my cemetery tomorrow (I'm going to upgrade all my stones before next year)...
I know everyone in my neighborhood is watching my house. It looks so blah right now... Most of my items can't be out in extreme weather, and it usually doesn't matter too much. I usually have a few days before the big night to set them up, and only have to worry about light rain. This big storm soooo close to Halloween is driving me up the wall!

I know, I know... I should be grateful that they're calling for clear skies on Halloween, but I know that can change. I worry about a shift in the weather, and suddenly that big storm comes through on Halloween. I'm watching the weather like a crazy person... There's the storm before Halloween, and more rain on Thursday. I have a tiny window to setup and tear down. I know I can do it, but I'd rather not rush.

This was supposed to be the big year. It's the five year anniversary of the Garry Street Cemetery and I had all these plans... It was supposed to be big and impressive. Now I'm wondering what I can actually do in the tiny amount of time I'm actually going to have to setup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I sympathize with you. God knows I've chased more than one prop down the street before. However, keep this is mind for the future. Rebar is your friend. All of my outside props are rebar'd at this point. All Tombstones are Terra method, along with all the skellys, pillars, fence, etc. I've had some high winds come through and all it get is a wobble here and there.

·
Registered
764 Posts
We had to deal with bad weather one year. It didnt stop raining until 2 hours before TOT started. You have a clear day
on Tuesday so set it all up then. I know that might not sound good but thats better than a day of full rain like we had.
Make the best of it. Stay positive and have fun.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,506 Posts
I have had a hurricane and two years of epic level flooding right at Halloween, and I build most of my stuff out of flimsy cardboard or other non-weatherproof materials... it truly is a huge pain and disappointment to deal with when the weather is being cranky.

Think of this year as a "magical" setup and take down... the neighbors won't see much of anything until the day of and then "BAM" - your awesome display is all up and ready to amuse and amaze.

It's one of the reasons circuses waited until overnight to do their setups and takedowns - they wanted to give the impression of them existing only in a fantasy land and they appeared and disappeared like magic. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm so sorry that you are having weather issues as well. It is very frustrating and makes you almost want to throw your hands up and say I'm done. Keep your chin up and see if you can round up some help to show up bright and early Tues. morning to get everything set up. You probably won't have much time to tinker with lights and such so just aim them as best you can. Something is better than nothing. If you can't get help, then put out what you can. Again something is better than nothing. Fingers crossed that Mother Nature slinks off and stays quiet for a while.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Sorry you are facing rain and bad weather. You've got company from what I've seen on the weather report. I've had a halloween or two have spoiled plans and it's really disheartening especially if you've been planning it for some time. Good thing I guess is that at least you know ahead of time to take stuff down so it doesn't get ruined. I'm sure the kids are not happy either. Do what you can outside when the weather clears and set up what you can in your windows ahead of time so you feel you've done something this year. The kids will appreciate your effort regardless.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You have my sympathies. This really stinks and all you can do ius try and plan for it next time at this point. :-(

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
As far as the neighbors watching your house and having expectations, I would think, if they are sane reasonable people, they understand how weather works and don't expect you to be out decorating only to have to bring it all back in or risk ruining all your hard work. So no worries about what the neighbors think. Bring in everything that's likely to be damaged or lost. Don't set any of it back up before Tuesday when you have the all clear. In the time you ave between now and then, make a plan and organize all your stuff for the most efficient way of getting it all set up again. You can't fight mother nature so give yourself a break and do what you can. Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can imagine your frustration. That's truly a tense position you're in. My set up is small so far, but we've had fairly high winds for the last 2 days (and today too) and I haven't had much trouble with my yard setup. I have tethered things pretty well. At least as far as I know. I could come home from work tonight to find my stuff in a crumpled wad down the street.

If you're not an old skool purist and you're open to the idea, you might want to add some inflatables to your set (if you haven't already). I've found them to be quite weatherproof. So if nothing else, you could stake a few of those out and have some rainproof stuff out that you don't need to panic over. I either raise my blowups (the smaller ones) off the ground with bricks and boards or (for the larger ones) wrap the plug connections in plastic bags and duct tape to keep them dry. The actual balloons are perfectly fine in the rain and wind...In my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! Right now I'm trying to get things done inside so I can setup as quickly as possible on Monday. The winds are supposed to die down until Monday evening so it will be difficult to get everything done. The one saving grace being that the kids will have school on Tuesday so I probably won't see my first ToT until around 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

I have invested more in weather resistant and weather proof props over the years. I no longer have a porch or other sheltered space to set up in so the weather really makes or breaks my yard display. I have a few inflatables. Since they have improved over the years and I don't have any trees for vertical display and limited storage, inflatables have really helped out. The only problem is that I only have one good most weather inflatable. The 16ft one is hard to secure (it's an older model so it only has two anchor points, the newer ones have 4-6), and is difficult even in light winds. The other isn't as bad, but I put it on my roof so leaving it outside during windy days isn't the best idea. I have been slowly bulking up my cheap tombstones, but I still have about 20 left to do.

As for my neighbors... Well, I do care what they think, but also I really want to enjoy my own display for a few days before I have to tear it down. I usually start tear down Halloween night after all the ToTs are done. I used to work retail, so leaving it up wasn't an option since I had to be back at work and we were gearing up for Christmas at that point. I knew if I procrastinated I'd be too tired and the weather would only be getting colder (back before climate change made it topsy turvey). It would lead to things getting ruined or not stored correctly if I took my time. Now, I try to clear ASAP for my landlords. They are super supportive of me and I want to stay on their good side.
Also, I just have so much stuff now that "magic" one day setups are really difficult now. There's just soooo much stuff to get out there, and I like to play with things and move them around... So getting the bulk of things out and only worrying about the details on Halloween is really ideal for me. It's more like "Oh, that's a nice yard display...", but when they come back on Halloween and I've added all the little things to bring it to life, "OMG! This is amazing!"

The winds are what I'm really worried about even with my items secured... The gusts are supposed to get up 40-50 mph. I'm not sure my improved tombstones will stay (they're still small). I'm keeping an eye on things for now and hoping I won't have to run out and pull more things inside tonight.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Today was a high of 30..... so im setting up everything tomorrow with a high of 40 wow.... then Tuesday
is suppose to be 50.... we will see..... this ice cold crap makes me want to move farther south. Im going
to start looking after Halloween. Maybe GA, TX something like that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Today was a high of 30..... so im setting up everything tomorrow with a high of 40 wow.... then Tuesday
is suppose to be 50.... we will see..... this ice cold crap makes me want to move farther south. Im going
Meanwhile today in California, it was a balmy 86...

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes!! It seems that we skipped fall....again! I didn't even bother to light my display this weekend, just too cold! Im hoping it warms up into the 50's by Halloween.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Oh sure, you'll love Texas. Last week we went from 80 degrees one day to SLEET and 40 mph winds with 29 degree nights, then today upper 70s, Halloween will be in the 50s with rain. and then back up to 90 by the end of the week! And the best part, you feel like crap all the time because your body never gets to acclimate to any particular season. But, yeah, come on down! ;)

·
Evil Wizard
2,169 Posts
Also, I just have so much stuff now that "magic" one day setups are really difficult now. There's just soooo much stuff to get out there, and I like to play with things and move them around... So getting the bulk of things out and only worrying about the details on Halloween is really ideal for me. It's more like "Oh, that's a nice yard display...", but when they come back on Halloween and I've added all the little things to bring it to life, "OMG! This is amazing!"
This. So much this.

·
The Haunting Girl
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the storm is over... The good news is that it looks like everything made it through. The bad news is that the winds are still really bad today.
I am attempting to get everything out that can withstand the winds (but couldn't take the driving rain), but I still have so much more that needs to get out. These winds are killing me right now. At least it's supposed to be decent tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So the storm is over... The good news is that it looks like everything made it through. The bad news is that the winds are still really bad today.
I am attempting to get everything out that can withstand the winds (but couldn't take the driving rain), but I still have so much more that needs to get out. These winds are killing me right now. At least it's supposed to be decent tomorrow...
We are still getting the wind. This is as windy as windy as I can ever recall it being around here. My yard is a disaster, it is still howling, and something is wrong with my hand and I can't use it at all. Sigh...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I woke up this morning to high winds (50+ MPH gusts) and about a dozen broken and snapped tombstones. I went to work after cleaning up, and found out that the winds continued for the next 5 hours, so I'll probably have more damage when I get home. Not looking good for me this year...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I woke up this morning to high winds (50+ MPH gusts) and about a dozen broken and snapped tombstones. I went to work after cleaning up, and found out that the winds continued for the next 5 hours, so I'll probably have more damage when I get home. Not looking good for me this year...
Same here with the intense winds plus it never got above 30 degrees.... Really???? It is warmer at the North Pole.... well tomorrow im sure
will be the same ice cold.... I wonder how many people set up a haunt in snow, like up in the northeast, Maine etc....
Also starting Wed we are expecting 2 weeks of rain 100% everyday..... great winter to start.... yep south here I come!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts