Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so disheartened last year after the crappy Fri night turnout (half the usual TOTs) and then by other personal drama that I won't go into here that I never bothered posting pics of 08's yard display. Heck, it's a wonder I didn't delete them, I was in such a funk!

Anyway, here goes. Notes: pics taken late, so fogger not on. Visualize nice low fog ;> My digcam takes crap night pics--so sue me :)

The better part of the display. To left was inflatable gothic tower walkthru.

Center of cemetery. Gravepopper just visible, but moving too fast to photograph!

Left side of cemetery. In background are the dancing ghost ring in garage bay 2 and the FCG.

Monster nursery in garage bay 1. Rocker rocked by itself, wicker chest opened with grunts and growls, two demonized plushies thrashed in the wagon.

View toward right of cemetery. Reaper has a Boris head and threatened TOTs as they walked by.

Well, there it is folks. Constructive feedback is welcome!!!!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
All I can say is it's too bad you only had 1/2 the number of usual TOTs, because they surely missed out!
Your yard setup is what the outside grounds of Disney's Haunted Mansion SHOULD look like! It's fantastic!
I wish I could light my cemetery as good as yours! Great use of color.
Excellent tombstones, too!!

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
958 Posts
awesome! so glad you posted! I was not at all happy with my lighting last year, and couldnt quite put my finger on what I didnt like until I saw your pics. I think my lighting was too bright...I love how each of your tombstones and ghosts glow. Did you use black lights for this, or special bulbs? Thats exactly the type of lighting I am going for-any help would be great! Nice work-hope you have a better turnout this year!
one more thing...the tombstones are great! Did you make these yourself?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Awesome display!
I see you're also in Texas - high school football is KING and it killed Halloween for us too last year.
This year will be better!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,520 Posts
I love your setup! I wish I had the room you do, but I don't think I could fill it nearly as well. :D

Beautiful lighting and love the fence too (and the nursery! too cute!)

We had a 50% drop last year as well, and I'm not holding onto any hopes that Saturday TOT will be any better in this area. :(

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you use black lights for this, or special bulbs? Thats exactly the type of lighting I am going for-any help would be great! one more thing...the tombstones are great! Did you make these yourself?
Thanks MM1! My lights are all LED spots and floods from Gorey Corey over @ Minions Web - Halloween Portal and Online Store: Minions Webber Cobweb maker, cob web shooter, web gun, webbing spinners, hot melt adhesive glue sticks, Air Cannon, Effects, Halloween Portal, Haunt Products, Hallow-links.com, Projects, How To pages, . I use mostly blue, but some green, red, and amber mixed in. They're not as bright as incandescent bulbs, so they're more subtle and don't wash across the whole yard. I took my inspiration from a rockin' lighting tutorial: -Skull And Bone-. Think about the shadows to be cast, and mix up the warm and cool colors for more "pop." The front row of gravestones are my babies and the back row are repainted store-bought stones. I threw together some pics for one of the stones I made and set up a little tutorial on my blogcrypt--see linkie in my sig line.

My thanks to the rest of you, too. My hubby thinks I obsess too much about the lighting, but he doesn't "get it." He doesn't see why it's so important! It's refreshing to "be around" ppl who do ;>

I'm not expecting a huge turnout this year--I'll be happy to see 200 kids. I am NOT going to let it get me down this year though. I'm going to make sure that this year is more about me and mine enjoying the day, and I WILL not worry so much about everything being perfect...

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
958 Posts
Great! Thanks for the lighting tips! I have the Webcaster Gun from that site...very cool props. As far as the lighting goes, I actually have an "expert" in the area....I just didnt know exactly how to put my finger on the look I was going for until I saw your photos. My husband owns a high end custom audio/video company, and is an LED broker, so I am sure I can get my paws on some fantastic lights! He also sells Color Kinetics (not sure on the spelling)-they are the lights the use to light the castle at Walt Dinsey World, the LAX airport sign, etc. But those may be a little too much :D
Last year he brought home a $60,000.00 projector to test out our HALLOWINDOW!!:eek: And the speakers he uses for the music-I am sure we are breaking a noise ordinance! I am lucky, though, that that is his profession because it helps me out a LOT and he enjoys setting it all up! If we didnt do all the lighting and sound effects, Im not sure how much of a participator he would be. Thats why I also love it here...you all understand:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow..all i got to say is wish i was a tot in your area..i wouldnt have missed that for the world///your set-up is way-bad A** ..I WOULD have loved to went in your haunt,,,i think u did the best job...Nice Work!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I would love you as a neighbor. Fabulous set up! Bummer, the kids missed it but you know we don't get many tots either just based on how our neighborhood is set up. But the ones we get are so excited, that's all that really matters. :) We and of course you posting pics so we can see it too, that matters. :)

Great lighting!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Woderful display, i love the lighting you did a great job.
I had to laugh though at the 200 kid part, im lucky if i get 20...lol. I still go all out though i think i enjoy it more then the kids

·
Registered
670 Posts
Awesome display!! Really Amazing! I've been living in my hose for 3 Halloween's now. The first 2 we had an insane amount of kids but last yr it was not much at all. You think because it was on a Friday? You think Saturday will be the same way? I hope not! I hate to go to all the trouble and then the kids not come around. But like you said, we should enjoy it and make it great for the ones that do show!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
it is never too late to post great pictures here :) your display is very very nice , i like all the lighting effect .

i wish you a better turn out this year your display deserves to be seen and wishing you a happier halloween for 2009 :)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Fantastic display! The lighting is wonderful. You did a really great job on your whole setup. I like the nursery also.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I love to see pictures posted from last year this close to Halloween, its such an inspiration to help all of us along. I think your yard looks just great & the lighting is really something. Your cemetery is just what I am working toward in my yard. I feel for you that you did not have as many TOT's thats always so hard to handle.

Still I wish you the best this season & thank you again for posting some great photo's, I know I still have not posted my 2008 pictures!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts