Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
That is a great one to put on the backside of the roof. I can't imagine even starting to build something that large, then figuring out how to store it for the rest of the year.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I hate inflatables. Hate, hate, hate. They're so cheesy and tacky looking.

That being said.

If an inflatable is what it takes for someone to get into the spirit of things and decorate, go for it.
I was just waiting for someone else to say it first. :) I hate these things too. I agree that if it gets someone onto the spirit then that is pretty cool. But, When you have hundreds of them in your yard and half of them aren't inflated, that is just ridiculous. No offense to anyone on here that loves them, because I know there are people who do.

These aren't Halloween but enjoy!

YouTube - Xmas Yard from Christmas Hell (but fun to view)

YouTube - Christmas out of control

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would do this for the simple fact of having something this size and needing to do something with it for the rest of the year. The custom version that it would require would negate my emotions towards these items.

It would fit my pirate theme. A humongous Kracken would be a good addition. The inflatable part would give it more life then anything made of monster mud. Beyond that, I will walk past the aisle Walmart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have used a yard-sale inflatable for the past two years as a placeholder for my pirate ship before putting it up. Worried the hell out of my fans - I had been telling people I wasn't sure whether the rotting wood had made it thru the winter behind the shed.
For those of you mentioning the storage issue - these things deflate and fit into a 12-inch square box. Easiest storage of all my props.
Last year I made a giant octopus inflatable who attacked the ship for Halloween weekend. It was easy and added to the fun.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
the inflatables are understandable. it's for the people who don't want to do much but still want to do something. their cheap, easy, not very time consuming and when deflated take near to nothing in space. sure, none of us would be caught dead (was that a pun) with one of these but think of how much money you spend on it and how time consuming it can be, can you blame them for using inflatables? btw, that octopi thing is amazing. wish someone had done that where i live.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Normally I personally don't like inflatables for haunts - Xmas ok but not Halloween. That changed a bit when my brother gave me a huge giant spider inflatable. It's all black - not the bright colours you normally see. It's easily as big than a car but inflates in minutes. I made a sort of hood for it out of fake fur with diff. sized car reflectors for eyes and fangs out of a vinyl boat bumper cut to shape. I keep it back in the shadows with just a bit of light on it and there isn't too many TOTs that will go near it. :)

Here is a shot from this past year...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I do really love the large inflatables and I have 2 big ones the walk thru haunted house and a new headless horseman, first of all they do the best advertising from great distances and the kids love them. They also add that large prop scence and looks good with smaller ones. And you really can't built a prop as large as my inflatable house.Around here I'm to see even a cheesy small one because most people just put out a pumpkin or 2. Any decor is better than none.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woohoo! I reignited an age old debate. I am glad for those that like what they like.

Either way...

I want to make the Octopus tentacles.Any suggestions for fabric?

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Ok, I'm not a fan of the standard, Wal-Mart inflatables. I think they're cheap and in poor taste. They generalize and homogenize all holidays they infect. I know it's nice to at least see someone doing something for the holiday, but it still hurts my senses. In the past, the extremely rare acceptions to inflatables have been few and far between.

This frickin' awsome idea is one of them! :D

I gotta admit, I love it. Its creative, entertaining, and has the merit of not having been done before. I think it's a great use of an inflatable and it's so much more fun than a purple gorilla or a field of inflatable arm-waving tube people. Cthulhu would be proud.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
When I saw the first video's yard, it didn't phase me, since I, unfortunately, saw one like that while driving over to a friend's place last Halloween (in a smaller yard, no less). The second one, however, left me absolutely speechless:D Inflatables themselves might be cheap to purchase, but when you buy an army of them (and have them all running at the same time like that), your kid might as well kiss their college fund goodbye:p

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Oh, I love the monster on the roof, the Kraken and the spider.

I'll admit, I have one inflatable and I actually like him a lot. It was a birthday present I got early. Here's a picture of it when I unpacked him in the living room:

For the lead-up to Halloween '08 I had him in the fenced backyard on the side of the driveway. Cracked me up :) You could just make it out from the street. Pretty good effect, like I had a beast instead of a dog. LOL!

On Halloween night, I had him sort of hiding behind the car that was parked on the driveway :p

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I don't begrudge anyone that uses inflatables. Some people just don't have the time or inclination to build props and if they enjoy their inflatables, more power to them. They're better than nothing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts