Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a limited budget for my Halloween display. I was looking at www.kentuckyspecialfx.com . I was wondering if anyone has dealt with these guys before. They seem very reasonable with their prices, and the owner Mike has personally taken the time to speak to me a couple of times. They sound like great people, I just don't want to waste my money. I am looking for the most bang for my buck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
Personally I never buy ready made props so I can't comment on the company but I guess it really depends on what you are looking for if you are getting the best bang for your buck. Sometimes customer service means as much as price. One thing to always remember almost everyone will be at their nicest and take time for you before you give them your money. It's what happens when you have a problem that really matters. This company could be great at that also....I don't know so I will only address their price on the props.

I just looked over their site and I honestly didn't see a great deal on it (but I never buy ready made props) I stopped looking after I saw the props below.

Take the black light ghost, all you are getting is a few feet of wire (free coat hangers) that makes up the shoulders and arms. A wig head (3.00) and about $5 worth of material you can get at wal mart.

The first Black light on the light page is $19.99, you can get a 20 watt black light at wal mart for $9.99

This is crazy high for what you are getting....$399.99 WOW!

And this one is also...Sale price: $249.99

·
Registered
613 Posts
I haven't personally dealt with them on a large scale, but I have only heard nice things about their flying crank ghosts. They also listened to feedback from the community and worked hard to slow down the speed on their fcgs by a significant amount. With the fcgs, they offer great customization options so you get the effect you want.

I bought some of their surplus blacklight fabric and was very impressed. You think it's just cheesecloth, but their process is top notch.

If you're in a pinch and really want to put the investment in, then this is one of the companies that's actually making quality props. Sure, some might complain that it's too expensive. It's a fair opinion. I'd just like to say that they are a good company with good business practices and you should feel safe ordering from them if you choose to.

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Most pre-built or store bought items are relatively expensive. The shipping costs of large, heavy items won't be pretty.

You can build a half hight coffin for very little (or free if you have enough scrap wood, screws, nails and hinges laying around)

The prop in the video is pneumatic, so you're going to need a compressor regardless (maybe an air tank will do)

To do that yourself you'll need pneumatic bits & pieces (cylinder, tubing, attachments, regulator etc) and some kind of controller (like a low end picoboo)

All together, the costs go up.

To be fair for a company to make quality props, and also earn a living, they need to charge above and beyond raw material

Perhaps you could build your own coffin and use a motor to open & close the lid. The movement will be more repetitive and slower than a pneumatic, but windshield wiper motors are cheap.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,115 Posts
Hi, I have a limited budget for my Halloween display. I was looking at www.kentuckyspecialfx.com . I was wondering if anyone has dealt with these guys before. They seem very reasonable with their prices, and the owner Mike has personally taken the time to speak to me a couple of times. They sound like great people, I just don't want to waste my money. I am looking for the most bang for my buck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've used them and will continue to do so...great stuff, great prices, good little company. I always look at their product line and offerings to see if they have anything I would like to use. Thier flying crank ghost is a very nice piece as well and all their UV stuff is kicking!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried but Failed!

I tried and not only failed horribly at making some of the stuff I wanted but made one heck of a mess as well so we drove to Kentucky Special FX this morning as I made an appointment last night with Mike since we were only thirty minutes away from his shop.
Now I know why he charges what he charges.

The tombstones he sells are nothing like the store bought ones from walmart, they feel real like stone to the touch and look amazing in person. We bought three of each desgin they had. Got six total for about $100.00

The animated pneumatic coffin we bought for $369.99 was mini computer controlled w/ motion sensor, thing was built to be dropped off of a building and survive and weather proofed and dangit it just looked good for the money.

The full size coffin we got was friggin AWESOME, it looked nearly perfect!
Beautifull in every way.

Then the ghosts we picked out were simply beautifull, they arnt made of coat hanger wire like I though they might be, they use some kind of super thick wire that can be bent over and over again.
The dye and paint they use is nearly blinding under a blacklight, nothing like the storebought crap I tried.

I spent nearly $1000.00 this morning and with all the time and personal attention I got from not just Mike but his assistants it was money well spent!
Next year im having them custom make me some items for sure as I got a chance to see these guys in action, I wish I could have hung around there all day just to watch them work.

Such a nice group of people, I couldnt be happier!!!!!:D
Mike even fixed my prized fog machine Martin 2000 for 50 bucks ( replaced the pump ) while his guys loaded up my purchases, man he's quick!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well if you got money to spend and not a lot of time to figure it out yourself, good for you! I am glad your happy.

I am sure some people on this forum would sell their stuff (which is literally professional grade for some of them), at a cheap price. Like some of the tombstones and stuff that Terra makes are just incredible and would make ANY graveyard scene the best one in your whole area.

I have a little time on my hands and considering it doesn't take THAT much money to create the smaller projects, I find it fun and satisfying when I complete a project. Then next year if I want I can make another and keep honing my skills.

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
paulprp as long as you're happy with them, that is all that matters......I'm just a tightwad when it comes to buying props :)

I know one thing... I'm getting a powerball ticket! I might have the "power" out of all the props on Kentucky Special FX site I picked out three without having any ideal of what you would buy and you bought all three !!!!. YES, I believe I might have the power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
paulprp as long as you're happy with them, that is all that matters......I'm just a tightwad when it comes to buying props :)

I know one thing... I'm getting a powerball ticket! I might have the "power" out of all the props on Kentucky Special FX site I picked out three without having any ideal of what you would buy and you bought all three !!!!. YES, I believe I might have the power.
Wife was the one who picked out the ghost we got and the FCG.
I was drooling over the coffins when I saw them in person.
Wish I had more money to blow but we saved up 1K for this years party.
I cant wait till next year, ohhhhh! The custom ideas I have in mind, LOL!;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts