Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*update* finally figured out the mechanics for a leering skeleton

I am going completely bonkers trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. My garage looks like a pvc factory from all the different lengths and pieces of plastic shavings from all the drilling and cutting I've been doing. I just don't get it. I have watched every video on YouTube and looked at all the photos here and it's just not working. I've tried using flat stock and pvc. Even a combination of both. It just seems like the lengths are wrong. I don't understand how it all should work. I am wondering how you measure for the correct motion. Do you start at the motor, the long shaft with the tee going up? Everyone's mechanics are different but I just can't figure it out. I even have my wife going crazy and she is the smart one. We must have spent at least 7-8 hrs just trying different sizes to try and figure this out. I don't know if there's a minimum size needed for the area of the mechanics to move in. I am trying to do this inside of a plastic barrel planter. It looks like I have enough room but not sure. Please help me understand what it is I am missing. Is the piece coming off the tee supposed to be long and the you adjust the sizes coming off the motor? Just banging my head against a wall now. Here is where I am trying to put the mechanics. I must have mounted and re mounted the motor in 5 different spots. Is it supposed to be off to the side? Can it be lined up straight with the pipe running up to the spine? I am using a peeper motor from one of the member merchants I purchased from.
Tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
304 Posts
The easiest IMO is to put the motor at 90 degrees to the skeleton main shaft.

the motor should have a short arm attached, 3 - 4 inches.

The skeleton shaft pivot arm should only reach to the middle of the bucket.

in the fully retracted position, IE point the arm on the motor to the closest wall and the skeleton arm to the middle of the bucket. you make the final arm a bit longer than the space between the arms.

The idea is you can only move the skeleton shaft at most 80 degrees. less than a quarter turn.

Another option is to use a motor with auto reverse, IE a CW/CCW and attach it to the skeletons main support directly. You attach an arm that sweeps back and forth in the bucket, when it hits a wall the motor will reverse direction.

see this motor on ebay. They come in different voltages and RPM speed depending on what you want

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Danski, there are obviously a lot of ways to do this. Take a look at our Watchman mechanism. http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/Animated-Watchman-Basic-Kit_p_31.html Very simple and provides a nice steady movement. The only arm you need is on the motor itself. You center your motor shaft with the "spine" pipe. You need to simply make a slotted arm to sit over the shaft of the motor arm. The length of the motor arm will determine how far it pans left/right.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Thank you! So many people do this and make it look so easy. I made this and have used him 3 Halloween's. All three times halfway through the night he messed up and after spending a 1/2 hour or so in the middle of my cemetery while TOTR's were gazing at me I'd give up and turn him off. This year I thought I'd try and slow him down. Refer to my wiper motor tutorial request LOL. I finally shoved a reindeer motor in him this week. And for your laugh of the day, I took the top off to show you how bad I had to finagle the motor to get him to turn some what normally. And those sirens while taking the video aren't for me. I didn't do it! And I do have a hole in the back of the base for the cord. I've studied so many videos too of him and other props and it's made to look so easy to do. Yeah! How I feel for you. On the other hand I was able to do the shifting crypt with the green lighting with only minimal swearing! That's my daughter's lovely shadow in that one. I'm out today to start the framing of my pirate wheel. The Halloween lover in me thrives on self torture. I only hope that those of you that are more technically savvy can save me when I get to the animation. I'm so thankful for those people on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all soooooooo much! Because of your kind hearts I am no longer going to the madhouse. I was able to get things working to satisfaction today thanks to you kind folks. All the tips and videos helped me to unlock my brain form a total meltdown. I wish you all many gifts of Halloween joy. Thank you untillater your tips really helped. Exactly what I needed. Diabolik I hope to do it the way you presented it someday. I will need to study that as soon as I get my watchman from you. The wife has already given me the ok to order as a bday gift which is July 27. Expect my order. Cloe I appreciate your video. It was also very helpful. Thank you all. My pirate on a barrel is pretty much complete. The motion is not quite as smooth as others but I am satisfied. My vision finally came to life. I can't thank you all enough. I just love this place. So many kind people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6hK32Nzm3w&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you j-man. I would have liked a little more side to side distance but I think that's a design flaw in my spine piece. I basically have a wood dowel inside the pvc which doesn't exactly turn right with the pvc. It's a touch behind the pvc movement. One side moves a bit better and farther than the other but I am overall satisfied and confident I understand things now. I will get better on my next one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you want to make the dowel stay put in the pvc, just drill a small hole through the pvc and the dowel ( drill with the dowel in place). then simply put a cotter pin or nail in the hole to lock them together.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,792 Posts
Danski, if you end up ordering a Watchman kit, drop me an email or note your order and let me know it's you. We have a run of extra drive arms from the Watchman kits that we cannot use. There was a problem and the slots ended up being cut wrong. Will not work in our kit, but will work fine for what you are doing here. Will make it easy for you to mimic the Watchman's mechanism. I'll gladly send you a plate and bearing with your kit to help you along. :)

Ryan

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want to make the dowel stay put in the pvc, just drill a small hole through the pvc and the dowel ( drill with the dowel in place). then simply put a cotter pin or nail in the hole to lock them together.
I actually did do that when I got it together. I'm thinking maybe the dowel is too long as it's running the whole length of the pvc down to the very bottom. It may be causing some friction. I am going to take a look at it today. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Danski, if you end up ordering a Watchman kit, drop me an email or note your order and let me know it's you. We have a run of extra drive arms from the Watchman kits that we cannot use. There was a problem and the slots ended up being cut wrong. Will not work in our kit, but will work fine for what you are doing here. Will make it easy for you to mimic the Watchman's mechanism. I'll gladly send you a plate and bearing with your kit to help you along. :)

Ryan
Thank you. I will do that. Can't wait to get my kit. Should be ordering near the end of the month.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is another update. I think I have him moving better now. Seems the pin I had through the pvc and dowel, needed a tighter fit. The first hole I drilled was a tad larger than the pin so the pvc would turn a bit before moving the dowel. This had me lose some rotation since the dowel had to catch up to the pvc. I really have to give all you great members here the credit for the ideas and solutions to my problems. Now, can someone tell me if there's a way to update the title of this thread so I can change it ? I looked but couldn't find it. I was able to put a small mention inside the thread , but can I change the thread title somewhere? I looked in advanced editing but no luck. Probably right in front of my eyeballs though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltuJVsleyq4&feature=youtu.be

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks daveinthegrave. I like your prop. I was wondering about the title because I may keep updating this and I don't want everyone thinking I'm still losing it. LOL. I do want to post pics of my mechanics next in-case it will help someone. Plus there were some great suggestions that were the reason I finally figured this out. Oh well. Guess I will keep it here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.