Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was thinking back over the many funny things that have happened to me and the hubs because of my love of Halloween and having owned my own commercial haunt for four years. I just have to share a one of them in hopes of making you laugh on this rotten old Monday and then I hope you'll tell yours. I'll save one of my favorites that happened at our haunt for later. Here goes . . .

One year we had a carbon monoxide leak at our home and we had to call in the utility company to do some testing, Hubs and I were sitting in the living room when theutility worker came. He told us a few of the things he needed to do and ask where the furnace was. Hubs directed him to the furnace downstairs in the basement in our storage room. We heard the man clomp down the stairs and open and shut the storage room door. Ten minutes later we heard a few pings and tings from the vent told us that he was taking the cover off of the furnace. Seconds later there was an awful crash, ting-tang boom and then thunderous steps coming upstairs as if the devil was chasing this guy. He skidded on our hardwood floors before he righted himself and started edging himself towards the front door. His face was white as a sheet and his hard hat sat at a jaunty angle as he struggled to speak. "I-I-I-I just--you know--ahhhhh I just need to ahhhhh well ahhh call the ahhh office. Uhhhh no reason to get up sir . . . uuuuuuhhhhhhh I ah just well need to get help!" Out the door he dashed. We looked at each other and thought it really must be bad so we started looking up new furnaces on the laptop. Once we saw the prices we had the same look on our faces!! Lol.

Ten minutes or so we hear sirens and a lot of commotion outside but think nothing of it since we have a highway just a block away and there is always an accident or something happening. Our first clue that it might not be the high way or a major leak was when three police officers came in the open door and told us to stay where we were. The utility man stuck his head inside and I swear he literally tired to climb into one of the officer's coat as he clung to his back.

"Wow I didn't know police had to handle carbon monoxide leaks too." The two stern faced officers said nothing as they nodded to the one that was heading downstairs with his new shadow the utility worker. We keep looking up furnaces when one of the police radios crackled to life and someone said the report was 'confirmed'. Now the two officers come over to the couch and ask us with a straight face, "what can you tell us about the skeletal body the U. E. man found when he started working on your furnace?

"Skeleton? Ohhh I bet that's where you put Bucky! No wonder I couldn't find him to put in the coffin with Elvira." We nodded at each other but our attention was gotten when we heard two guns coming out of the officer's holsters and one of them radioing for back up.

"Oh wait, no that's just Bucky and we've had him for years. We've got other one's too. I think they're stacked up in their coffins. We just misplaced him that's all. It's no big deal. I'm just glad he's been found so we can use him again." Hubs takes my arm and tells me to stop talking. Okay? Then I notice the full situation and I got why I needed to hush. I saw both officers had their hands on their guns . . . gulp!!

Long story short Bucky our medical skeleton had fallen behind our furnace and fell on the worker when he was inspecting the furnace. The flashlight didn't seem to catch the wires holding him together. After I stopped laughing and wiping tears off of my chin we went downstairs to show that it wasn't a "real" body. Although it didn't help our case when our corpse fell out of the toe-pincher coffin making one of the officer's jump! Lol. They finally left without arresting us and I'm sure they think I'm off my rocker . . . I am but don't tell anybody . . . I am!! but it was just too funny. Ohhhhh how I wish I'd had a camera on that utility worker's face when dear Bucky fell from between the wall and side of the furnace!!! Lol. Be still my heart!!!!

Please share your accidental scares . . . It's a great way to brighten up a Monday. Mundane Monday be G-O-N-E!!!!!!

GG

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
so I use to have my haunt in a 3 bedroom double wide trailer. some times I would be in there working till real late and it would creep me out sometimes. so I would leave. well, it was getting close to the deadline, so I needed to get done. so I plugged in the vacuum and started it up, and the vacuum and light went off. I turned off the vacuum and went over and pushed in the plugs and the light came back on. so I went over and started up the vacuum and the light and vacuum went off again. so I turned off the vacuum and the light came back on. so I walked to the back of the trailer to make sure no one was in there punking me at the fuse box. nope, no one there. so I locked all the doors so no one could get in. so I went back and turned on the vacuum, sure enough, the light and vacuum went off. I turned off the vacuum, but this time the light didn't come back on. YIKES! I went home. I told my hubby the next day, and he had an electrician go look. I guess some box out side was going out, and every time it had a surge it went off till it finally tripped. I don't remember what the box was called, but we had to replace it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I haven't had a haunt, but this is still funny. Especially since it happened to me, being the horror freak in the family.

There is this old grandfather clock that sat in the living room and belonged to my brother. It had been my Grandmother's and, when she died in the 80s, she willed it to my then 6 year old brother because he had always been infatuated with it. I was eight. Fast forward a decade or so, it's broken, hadn't worked for almost as long as we've had it, so it silently sat in the living room, watching. Waiting...

It was around Halloween; I remember because I was watching some Hammer movie marathon late one Saturday night. I was in the living room and my brother was in his room playing on the computer. I got to this in particularly scary moment in the movie when I hear this chiming. My first thought is "Why is there a clock in the graveyard?" Then I realize that it's not the movie. It's the freaking clocking in the room with me! And it's chiming! The crazy thing has been dead for years! WTF!?

I go tearing up the hall, banging on my brother's door, telling him that dead clock is alive. He thinks I've lost my mind. So he goes up the hall, stands there a few minutes, and nothing. He turns to tell me that I've been watching too many scary movies when it chimes again. He nearly jumped out of his skin.

So now we're both creeped out over the zombie clock. Why is it chiming after a decade of nothingness? Then we hear thumping. What the heck is going on? Now we're both freaking out, visions of Lovecraft's "Rats in the Walls" dancing in our heads.

It took us about 20 minutes to figure it out. There were two raccoons running around on the roof. Everytime they got to the side of the roof that connected with the wall, it shook. Which, in turn, shook the clock, making it chime.

We laugh about it now but, holy crap, did it scare the bejeezus out of us at the time. :)

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
interesting story vamp.
so my daughter was dating this guy who had a psyhco ex girlfriend. she had threatened my daughter. so we're down to the trailer decorating for Halloween one night, and it's getting late. we hear what we think is a rapping noise. it startles us at first, but then we decide it's just a tree branch. just a little later, we defiantly hear the rapping sound again, and we're sure it's coming from the door. we both keep working deciding to ignore the rapping sound. either it's a ghost or the ex girl friend. then, we hear the rapping again, but now it's at the other door. my daughter and I are quite shook up. suddenly my daughter states she's not going to be intimidated any longer. she goes over and whips open the door, and we both scream. then we realize it's actually a friend who happened to be going by, saw the light on, and thought he'd see if we needed any help. lol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Accidental scare story number two--

I worked everyday repairing or dressing sets at the haunt before and after it opened. My three year old daughter would come with me and play while I worked. I know she’s going to have large therapy bills someday when she tells people that when she was little she slept in the rotting coffin in our graveyard or that she got a big kick out of dancing with our Flying Crank Ghost. Lol. But she’ll have to pay that bill! Anyway, here is the funny accidental scare I promised.

Since my haunt was sponsored by the city they gave me four convict workers to help with construction, lifting and grounds keeping. It freaked me out at first until I met the guys and the man that supervised them--it was fine. Three of them were thrilled to be in such a fun place and acted like kids around the haunt. But the fourth man was a very large African American man, named Lafayette and he was scared of his own shadow. He assured me that he’d found Jesus and that he was now a good Christian man. Ok I said and tried my best to reassure him that this was just entertainment but I never got through to him. Poor man couldn‘t ever get comfortable around the haunt no matter what! Oh and I should say-- I never took my daughter out there if the men were going to be there--just in case.

One day I was the only one that was going to be at the haunt since our new props for the graveyard had arrived from Gag Studio. I told my daughter to stay in the work room since I was going to e moving heavy items and she was fine with that. She loved playing in one of the huge cardboard prop boxes and I loved knowing where she was! She grabbed her toys and hopped in and pulled the lid closed. I went back to the graveyard and got to work. About a half an hour later I heard my daughter give a blood curdling scream--the kind of scream that lets every parent knows instantly something horrible has happened to their child. Then there was a terror filed man’s scream just before it sounded like someone was tearing our workroom apart! I ran in and saw Lafayette with his massive hand on his chest with his eyes bulging out of his head as he crashed into all the boxes and work tables before he fell backwards in a dead faint! My daughter was standing in her box, covered in fake blood screaming her head off before she started crying as we reached for each other. The supervisor came running in with his taser drawn and looking at my bloody daughter . . .then Lafayette and back to me. It was like a frozen Norman Rockwell painting with sound effects!!!!

Bottom line--Poor Lafayette was told that no one would be there and of course he thought my blood covered daughter was a possessed prop coming to life to kill him! She freaked out seeing a man when no one was to be there plus she thought she was in trouble for playing in the blood!!! The supervisor thought poor Lafayette had hurt my child and called his superiors. It took a l-o-n-g time to get the story straight through many interviews with officials from the prison as well as the police. An ambulance had to be called for poor Lafayette since he cracked his head on the cement floor! Every time he’d come too . . . he’d start screaming again and pass out. That poor man dropped out of the work program to . . .get this . . . stay in the safety of the prison!!! Lol.

GiggleingGhost

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had a haunt, but this is still funny. Especially since it happened to me, being the horror freak in the family.

There is this old grandfather clock that sat in the living room and belonged to my brother. It had been my Grandmother's and, when she died in the 80s, she willed it to my then 6 year old brother because he had always been infatuated with it. I was eight. Fast forward a decade or so, it's broken, hadn't worked for almost as long as we've had it, so it silently sat in the living room, watching. Waiting...

It was around Halloween; I remember because I was watching some Hammer movie marathon late one Saturday night. I was in the living room and my brother was in his room playing on the computer. I got to this in particularly scary moment in the movie when I hear this chiming. My first thought is "Why is there a clock in the graveyard?" Then I realize that it's not the movie. It's the freaking clocking in the room with me! And it's chiming! The crazy thing has been dead for years! WTF!?

I go tearing up the hall, banging on my brother's door, telling him that dead clock is alive. He thinks I've lost my mind. So he goes up the hall, stands there a few minutes, and nothing. He turns to tell me that I've been watching too many scary movies when it chimes again. He nearly jumped out of his skin.

So now we're both creeped out over the zombie clock. Why is it chiming after a decade of nothingness? Then we hear thumping. What the heck is going on? Now we're both freaking out, visions of Lovecraft's "Rats in the Walls" dancing in our heads.

It took us about 20 minutes to figure it out. There were two raccoons running around on the roof. Everytime they got to the side of the roof that connected with the wall, it shook. Which, in turn, shook the clock, making it chime.

We laugh about it now but, holy crap, did it scare the bejeezus out of us at the time. :)
LOLOLOLOLOL . . . I love this story! That is so freaky . . . how did you find out that it was raccoons?? Where they sitting up there laughing? Lolol.
GG

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting story vamp.
so my daughter was dating this guy who had a psyhco ex girlfriend. she had threatened my daughter. so we're down to the trailer decorating for Halloween one night, and it's getting late. we hear what we think is a rapping noise. it startles us at first, but then we decide it's just a tree branch. just a little later, we defiantly hear the rapping sound again, and we're sure it's coming from the door. we both keep working deciding to ignore the rapping sound. either it's a ghost or the ex girl friend. then, we hear the rapping again, but now it's at the other door. my daughter and I are quite shook up. suddenly my daughter states she's not going to be intimidated any longer. she goes over and whips open the door, and we both scream. then we realize it's actually a friend who happened to be going by, saw the light on, and thought he'd see if we needed any help. lol.
Too funny! Hubs came home one day and didn't holler. I came out of the bathroom and saw the dark shadow of a man in the hall . . . good thing I just came out of the bathroom and wasn't on the way TO the bathroom!!! LOLOL Good one punkineater!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts