Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 days to Halloween and I still have a few projects left to do and this post is on my DIY Human size specimen tanks.

This will be great in any OR/LAB/MORGUE section in a haunt. What I am trying to figure out is how to give off the illusion of water inside the tanks. I am still working out some ideas but if anybody has something in mind, I am all ears. Here are a few pictures of what I have accomplished thus far. If I cant pull this off, I can always cut a hole in the center of the plastic sheet that is bent and make the tanks look really old to give it the appearance that something was once inside and broke out. Something like that would be super easy but I like tweaking things up a notch. The pipes you see that connect to the top are pvc wrapped with black electrical tape. I might slop some of my brutal rust on some areas to give the pvc pipes a rusty look. I screwed the plastic sheet into some metal frame. And of course i put in a light 20140801_195637.jpg 20140801_195711.jpg 20140801_195647.jpg 20140801_195700.jpg 20140801_195739.jpg nighttank.jpg nighttank2.jpg

Oh and by the way once I finish all my projects, they will be posted on the tutorials page to share with the community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was lucky enough to take the plastic from some guy that was trying to get rid of it at some warehouse. I believe its just good old plexiglass. They do seel styrene plastic sheets and plexiglass online but I believe It is sold by the kg.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wonder what other businesses might use big sheets like this? I would love to pay them visit ... or peek in their dumpster.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That is perfect. I'll bet I could cover up the seams with a PVC frame as well. I've already put it on my wish list. I also spotted some smaller sizes that could be used in the same manner to hold smaller specimen. Like say ... an articulated Facehugger, a pulsing brain, or an damaged alien body. Lot's of possibilities!

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Wow, you ran electrical up to the top too. Cool look. And what a find on that acrylic sheeting!

Since plexiglass is very expensive in large sizes, here's what I have planned for my laboratory tanks and tubes.

I have some "aquarium" suspension tanks planned for a future lab scene (like seen in the X-Files when Mulder walks into a lab with 6 tanks with human hybrids suspended in liquid). These tanks are rectangular and a bit easier construction I would think than circular columnar ones. Anyway my plan is to use either clear acrylic "fabric" material from a yardgoods store like Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby--used for table cloth protection and coming in various thickness (believe even HD would carry this) OR I'll use clear acrylic window/door weather film which can be stretched and shrunk tight for a good fit with a blow dryer.

If you had two circular wooden frames -- for top and bottom pieces -- and two tall wooden lengths for side supports between the two, you probably could staple or use that double stick adhesive tape that comes with the film kits and wrap the tube framing with sliding glass door weather film, then shrink to remove the wrinkles.

My cryro statis tube for my alien lab setting will be made of a sono tube with a cutout window constructed with window weather film. For a frosty look I will be adding Spray Snow to complete the look. Easy to find the Snow Spray now in places like Michaels, Joann Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and as soon as Xmas is stocked in HD/Lowes it should be there too. The window/door/sliding door film kits are pretty inexpensive and go on sale at the end of the winter season. Good time to pick up kits for future projects.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
this is a very cool idea, I would try to do a few things for the water trick.

Depending on funds I suppose, but if you have a projector, you could either play a simple water video projected onto the tubing, you can gobo it to fit or adjust the video to be vertical with blackout on sides. OR get a video of what you want floating in the water already instead of just the water.

Cheaper route is to buy a water effects light, I came across one for $25 but it was bright blue colored water (meant to be pretty), and point it through the "glass".

Last idea, cheaper yet, the fire and ice type of spot lights, go for one in blue/green, I think kmart has it? maybe spirit? also point it through but for the spots idea, you would have to suspend something inside. I would then try doing a FCG type of rig for that floaty motion on different critters/peoples.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I don't know if i can convey this idea but here goes. I wonder if you can use a thin layer of clear film cut to match the diameter of the tank and affix it across the tube near the top. It should be a bit larger in diameter through and be poked with some small holes so air can pass thru. This film layer would represent the water level. If you had a small fan (possibly oscillating) hidden in the upper compartment of the tube blowing on the film hopefully it would create a wavy motion as viewed from the side. Or at least that's what I envision might work without prototyping it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts