Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my hot coals, and I have my skeleton, and I want to build a human sized rotisserie. I have seen a couple of them on here before, but I can't find them. Are there any good DIYs for a skeleton-sized rotisserie?

The basic model in my head is scrap wood and PVC pipe (seems like it would be simple).

What's the best way to power it? I have an extra wiper motor, not sure if that would be the best way to do it or not. I also have an old 'throwaway' drill that has variable speed control from the trigger that I could rig up to turn it. (Though, who knows how long the motor would last doing that, - not worried about it dying, more worried about a cool semi-animated prop becoming static).

Any cool links?

(I did use the search function, but nothing came up)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I did one a few years ago. I used pvc pipe and a wiper motor with a voltage adjuster. If I had to do it again I would change the pvc to 3/8 threaded rod. The weight of what you turn will flex the pipe. If you do use pvc stop the motor at the heavest load at the top when you store it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can beef up that PVC by either inserting another piece of PVC or metal conduit pipe. They resist deflection extremely well. I sleeved two pieces into a 17' tall satellite mount simply because my apartment complex told me I couldn't mount it to my roof but to feel free to attempt, and I quote, any other method that doesn't involve permanently attaching it to my deck. A 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete took care of the base and except for one storm where the wind gusts approached 60 mph (I lost signal 3 times for no more than a minute), I had perfect reception and almost no flex with the 3' overlapping joint. I think the smaller diameter can handle just about anything you could throw at it prop wise.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it is coming together nicely. Paint is drying and it will get final assembly tomorrow. How do I upload video?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wiper motor question: I hooked my rotisserie up on a wiper motor. Works fine but the nut that hooks to the arm keeps coming loose. I’m going to get some loc-tite, but thought I’d ask if I’m doing something wrong first. Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
barely enough room for the split washer and regular nut. I'll try a nylon lock nut. How do I make it turn counter-clockwise? (I'm using the monster guts setup if that matters)

·
Registered
61 Posts
You might be able to reverse the polarity but the easiest way would be to use two gears. One on the motor and another on the end of the spit. While the wiper motor turns clockwise, the gear on the spit will be turning counter-clockwise. One of those basic mechanics things I've always remembered, Even number of gears reverses, odd number of gears maintains the initial rotation direction.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back and looked at the instructions for my wiper motor (again, it's from monster guts) and it clearly says not to reverse the wires or the device will self destruct without leaving you a secret spy mission (or something along those lines)

I'm going to fiddle with it tonight, looks like I will have to move it all back into the shop to avoid the rain anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went back and looked at the instructions for my wiper motor (again, it's from monster guts) and it clearly says not to reverse the wires or the device will self destruct without leaving you a secret spy mission (or something along those lines)

I'm going to fiddle with it tonight, looks like I will have to move it all back into the shop to avoid the rain anyway.
Looks like using two gears is your option unless you want to move the motor to the other side and use two pulleys and a drive belt. Difference between gears and pulleys is that pulleys will rotate in the same direction. This may be easier for you if you can't find matching gears to mesh up. Just keep in mind the type of belt you use, a bunch of rubber bands might work this year, but certainly won't last year after year without replacement. If you want a temporary fix 'for now', you can even make the pulleys from pvc pipe and just add some flat shoulders to keep the rubber bands from slipping off. PVC isn't the grippiest or strongest material if it's unsupported inside so it might not be the best thing to use for a long term pulley, but it will get you through this year while you investigate a more permanent solution like meshed gears or even a bicycle gear and chain system. Just keep in mind the rotation you want and mount your motor accordingly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I got the rotisserie working. I may regret it later, but where the nut was spinning off I used some Loc-tite epoxy. It's not going anywhere.

I also enlarged the hole for the rotisserie bar nearest the motor which has greatly reduced a binding issue that I was having.

Now just putting the rest together to see if it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts