Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and the family are trying to work on a fund raising idea for one of the rescues we volunteer for. We are snow balling ideas for a kid AND pet friendly Halloween party/day carnival. Would LOVE to here some ideas!

So far we are thinking about a 'bobbing for apples' for dogs with puppy safe balls in a kiddie pool. We buy up all pet costumes November first to use at adoption events, so we are thinking about doing a dress up photo booth with your pet. Of course we will have a costume contest.

We still need to pin down the venue (Me and Hubby are the Monkeys, and that's the job for the Grinders) but once we have that, we will know what size we are working with and just how much we can fill it with.

October is a warm month here and we are thinking of doing it in the MIDDLE of the month since Halloween is on a weekend this year. That should be a great time frame for a kid and pet friendly event, with a good turn out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
461 Posts
One thing they did at our local October pet event was cutouts for pets to put their heads through to have pictures made. Great for pets that refuse to dress up!
They also had a contest for the people to see who could stack the most bone shaped biscuits into a tower shape in 90 seconds (think Jenga with treats)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing they did at our local October pet event was cutouts for pets to put their heads through to have pictures made. Great for pets that refuse to dress up!
They also had a contest for the people to see who could stack the most bone shaped biscuits into a tower shape in 90 seconds (think Jenga with treats)
LOVE the cut out idea!!!!!! Our big guy is a chicken about hats or anything on his head, so I get the whole not wanting to dress up thing. And dog bone jenga would be great for kids. THANK YOU!!!!! Can't wait to pass this along to 'The Grinders' ;)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What a fun event! I love the Jenga dog biscuit idea! We have an indoor cat & it's a bummer that we can't take her out to events like this. A fun idea for those cut-outs would be if you could paint a witch on a broomstick riding through the night and have a painted black cat's body riding behind her. Then the human could put their face in the witch-face hole & a volunteer could hold their pet's face in the cat-face hole. Would actually be funny to see a dog face on a cat's body!

If someone in your group is willing to make home-made pet "cookies", make them in Halloween cut-out shapes like bats, pumpkins, black hats, ghosts, etc and have some to sell to pets right then & there as well as some packaged in clear cellophane bags with orange & black ribbon so people could buy them as gifts. Maybe have the ingredient list attached to them as well, so people can see that they are healthy.

You could have someone carve pumpkins (real or the foam ones) with animal silhouettes on them & maybe line them all up on a table. People could buy tickets ($1 each or 5 for $4 or something) and then they could write their name & phone number on their tickets. Then, put fish bowls next to each carved pumpkin and the person could drop their ticket into the bowl for the pumpkin they'd like to win. At the end of the benefit, pull a name from each bowl & the winning ticket wins that pumpkin

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys rock! I'm loving these ideas!!! Making a list of them all! We have a Dachshund/Pot Belly Pig mix named Lola The Chola ;) There is a pet 'spa' in town that does Doxie races on Cinco de Mayo. They have offered to let us have a adoption event there but I don't know if they would have enough room for this :/ But they are great cause if and when we have an event there, they have a 'playground' and people with be able to play with the adoptables.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For years, there was an active Yahoo group called HumaneFundraising. It hasn't been very active since 2008 or so, but the files and archives are there. Several people did Howloween fundraisers for rescues, shelters, SNAPs, etc. Join it and cruise the archives and files. Also, I think Best Friends did one years ago. They might have a file on it somewhere on their website.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Some stuff from HumaneFundraising on Howloween

Here's the press release from a 2011 event, along with a comment one of the facilitators made on HumaneFundraisingatYahooGroups
For immediate release -- October 18, 2011
Humane Society Hosts Halloween Carnival For Dogs
Hullabaloo for Hounds Set for October 29
Danville, KY--What is your dog planning to be for Halloween? Do you have a
costume you can wear with him or her?
The Danville-Boyle County Humane Society is hosting a Howloween Hullabaloo
for Hounds on Saturday, October 29 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Boyle
County Fairgrounds. The fairgrounds are located at 557 N Danville Bypass in
Danville, KY.
A doggone great afternoon of fun is planned, and families are encouraged to
bring their well-behaved dogs on leashes to help celebrate Halloween and
National Adopt A Shelter Dog Month.
"Everyone loves to spend a day at the park with their dog, we've just kicked that
experience up a notch for Halloween," says DBCHS Director Kathy Nelsen.
Carnival games for dogs to play (including hot dog dunk and trick or treat
booths), contests, a dog/owner pumpkin relay, an agility course, a raffle, agility
demonstrations, live bluegrass music, food and bake sale items are just some of
the day's offerings. DBCHS volunteers will be on hand to staff the event in
addition to students from CentrePaws Club. Admission to the event is free.
AKC Canine Good Citzen Testing for dogs will also be offered throughout the
afternoon. The AKC's Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Program started in 1989. It is
designed to reward dogs that have good manners at home and in the
community, and it stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good
manners for dogs. All dogs that pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a
certificate from the American Kennel Club. (Something for owner's to be proud
of!)
"We are all looking forward to the Dog Halloween Costume Contest at noon and
the Dog/Owner Lookalike Contest at 1:00 p.m." says Nelsen. "Creativity is
greatly encouraged, and everyone will get a good laugh."
For more information about the Howloween Hullabaloo For Hounds call (859)
238-1117.
(Danville, Kentucky)
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Dog/Owner Lookalike Photo Booth
11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Carnival Games for Dogs
Dog Agility Course
AKC Good Citizen Testing
11:30 a.m. Spooky Dog Walk
11:45 a.m. Dog Agility Demonstration by 4H
Noon Halloween Costume Contest
Categories:
Best Combined Owner/Dog Costume
Most Creative Dog Costume
Funniest Dog Costume
12:30 p.m. Spooky Dog Walk
1:00 p.m. Dog/Owner Lookalike Contest Winner Announced
1:30 p.m. Spooky Dog Walk
1:45 p.m. Dog Agility Demonstration by 4H
2:00 p.m. Dog/Owner Team Pumpkin Race

Comment:
We only planned the event about 3 weeks ahead of time, and I'm thinking the budget was about $200 or less (lots of stuff was donated). I can't remember exactly how much we made, but it was something like $500. We really did it more for community visibility than for raising money. We find that if we can connect people to events, they will give money later when our mailings go out.

If I had to do it over again I think I would make an admission charge at the door. That way you are sure to bring in money. Also, it's good to pack bake sale items in groups so folks will pay more to take a box home with them. They will only eat so much at the event.

The folks who came to our event really seemed most interested in the costume contests. We were lucky that the band donated their time and lots of stuff was donated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My sister lives in Salem MA, and I think their parade is pet-friendly. Maybe a costumed Strut Your Mutt? Or a real costumed Pet Parade followed by a blessing of the animals (Catholic, Wiccan, Veterinarian ... who cares).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts