Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a former prop guy, worked at Disney as an Imagineer on Star Wars Weekends, HHN as a prop and set design guy (i.e. Ghoul), HOS as a set design and scare-actor, and I used to run a small prop company called Eerie Effects from 2014-2017 and serviced a number of Haunted Attractions in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

I'm retired from the prop business after 13 years of fun and now manage our small family farm in Brooksville, FL as well as write political books. My first book will be hopefully out next year.

Our farm is not established yet, we still have another year of building projects and still need to cultivate our front acres for crops. Our new house on our farmland was just built last July, so we aren't even a year old yet.

Once our farm is fully operational we will start doing a fall haunted corn maze on our front crop land. In a few weeks I'll go and clear some tall grass out and start cultivating for a massive test crop of corn for fall. I've never done a full corn maze before, so I think it will take 2 or 3 tries before we can get it right likely next season.

Might sell some out of state pumpkins as well... sadly in West Central Florida we can't grow pumpkins easily so we would have to import them from North Carolina and Tennessee.

Looking to get some ideas and tips from the home haunt experts in the forum as we proceed. I will also share building projects that we are working on at the farm to give back to the community. Will likely start a Fox Hollow thread and just post our projects and progress in that thread for other haunted maze people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

My name is Yoshi and I'm from Orlando FL. I'm actually looking into becoming a prop painter or fabricator and wanted to know if you knew any place I should look into to start. I've been a graphic designer for 8 years and hope to start desiging my own haunts in the future. I actually enjoy painting and fabricating more but I have no idea where I can start entry level as a painter around Orlando. Any tips or advice? Anything is much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. I'm new to this forum also. Saw your post about your corn maze. Would love to come and try it out when you are open. I'm in st petersburg. My daughter was born a few days before Halloween and we have always done a big holiday themed birthday party for her. She is a huge Halloween lover.
Good luck on this farm!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yoshi,

I wish you the best of luck in your career. Its a dog eat dog kind of business as I'm sure you know by now. The best advice I can give you would be to apply for openings with the entertainment departments at Universal, Seaworld, and Disney. They can help you grow your talents and will teach you a lot of tricks and trades that are useful. When I went into Disney and Universal I mostly just knew how to mold items, and when I left I knew how to do everything. They also showed me how to even mold better.

Another avenue you could try would be to approach indie haunted attractions and see if they need your talents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure! We are doing a test crop this season just to see what methods work best for growing the corn and such. I'll even make a test maze as well. Next year we will do a bigger maze and open it up to the public when we sell pumpkins. I will let you know!

Also, where on the forums would it be appropriate to post questions about corn mazes? I would like to start picking some brains given that we are tilling the land now.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,848 Posts
Wow an actual Imagineer!! Welome & best of luck with the farm!

We've got a few gardeners around here & a whole "Pumpkin Grower" thread if you're interested. We're not doing it on a large farm scale (if I get one warty pumpkin I'll be happy) but there's some decent info there.

You'll be surprised how much you can learn here even when you thought you knew it all & some of the best ideas are the simplest!!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts