Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really interested in trying to create this for my haunt this year. Would anyone know how I coupld make this prop? I was thinking paper mache but how do I get the large round shape? What could I use? Thanks guyS!

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
It looks like it might be a clay sculpture that was fired to be honest, but it could be paper mache. It just looks more like ceramic than it does like paper mache. I honestly don't know very much about paper mache, but I assume it would work just as well if you give it a strong structure like chicken wire.

I'm sure others are far more knowledgeable.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hi Peewee.
You could check out this site:STOLLOWEEN Pumpkins

A tutorial on making Giant pumpkins by the master of papier mache.

Hope this helps.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Hey, Peewee, howzit goin'?

I did an oversized JOL a few years ago by applying "Great Stuff" foam onto a Beach Ball, then trimming it away and sealing and painting it. It was nowhere NEAR the size of this one, however.

Lightweight and durable, it's something to think about.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
How about making it on a large beach ball. Coat the ball with vaseline or something so it wont stick.. make the JOL with paper mache or monster mud.... then pop the ball. Pull out the ball, cut open the JOL put in the "person" then put it back together. Finish the paper mache or mud and details! WALA~~

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chicken wire (or poultry fencing) is a traditional favorite for making armatures for large paper mache projects. It's cheap, easily available at Lowes and such, and relatively easy to use. And hey, if it's good enough for the artists at Blaine Kerr's Mardi Gras World, it's good enough for me... heh

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could I get chicken wire to bend into the round shape? Never used it before. Stolloween has good ideas on using very large trash bags, I may try that. Thanks for all the info guys! Hey to ya Wolfman, would like to hear one of these days how the haunting goes up where you are in the COLD!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just came across a new idea. Y'know the trash bag thing? Well, you could blow up a bunch of balloons, stuff them into said trash bag, and duct tape the whole thing into submission until it's the shape you want. To work with this light ball of air, I'd set it on a bucket or a small round laundry basket while I wrapped it with the paper mache. For the ridges and bumps and warts and stuff, you could add pulp-style paper mache (like Celluclay) to the outside. I saw one place where they used rolled up newspaper and more duct tape to make the top and stem. Just make sure to douse the whole thing really well with water sealer (just Thompson's would probably work fine) when it's done, in case it gets rained on. And please oh please, take pictures! :->

Maybe I'll try one too, then we could compare notes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
this gives me so many ideas i was thinking of buying some foamkins or some thing like them from micheals. but that site spoke to me. Not will i only save money but learn to play with mache and that is one thing i have never done before. thanks for starting this.

·
Magic Man (Taken)
725 Posts
If you do paper mache, a weather balloon can be used for an armature. They come in various sizes from 2' to over 8'. Do a google search for weather baloons, there are sites that sell them. You won't need the real expensive ones that are UV resistant, because they aren't going to be in sunlight. They can be used again after you get the pumpkin laid up by letting the air out of the balloon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts