Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, one more post tonight.
I have a treadmill motor that I have had for a few years. I have had high hopes for it, but have never quite been able to get it to work like I want it to. What I have is the motor and the control panel. When I say control panel I mean the part of the treadmill that has the speed dial and heartrate monitor etc.
I think I might be missing some kind of speed sensor from the treadmill. I plug it in and turn the speed control dial it will turn the motor on. Turn it all of the way down the motor shuts off. Anything else the motor runs at top speed. I turn the speed control knob up or down it doesn't matter.
So what do I need to do to hack the motor to work? I have the control panel with the speed control knob. I also have a circuit board that everything ties into. I think the back of the board has a transformer to convert the power to DC. The motor has a power wire, a ground wire, and 2 blue wires. I have the blue wires connected to each other but don't remember why.
I first tried to use this motor about 3 years ago, but abandoned the idea when it didn't work like I wanted it to. I don't remember if the blue wires were tied together or if that is something I did.
Does anyone have any information on how to get the treadmill motor setup to use with the speed controller?
I can connect the motor directly to a car battery and it will run, but it still runs too fast. Slower than when it is plugged in, but still too fast. Also, it doesn't have the torque to start itself. Would it work to connect to a 12 volt battery through a dimmer switch?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the problem I am having. At first it just sits there, then when it takes off it runs to top speed. I have a bicycle sprocket welded to the flywheel of the motor. The motor is attached to a frame I built with the bicycle wheel on the other end. When it gets going the bike wheel really flies! I used gears off of a 10 speed bike, and have it on the slowest gear set I can but it still runs probably at 5000 rpm's. I originally made it for an axworthy flying ghost setup, running flying dragons and bats instead of ghosts. It was pretty scary being anywhere near that thing when it got up to speed.
The best motor I found for this was the lift motor from an old hospital bed. The problem was the duty cycle on the motor. It would run about 3 minutes and heat up. When it heated up it shut down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts