Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know a number of folks have had problems uploading photos to the forums - it's not super obvious and when I've been up all night carving foam and inhaling paint fumes, I can still get a little confused. So here's a basic tutorial on how create an album and upload your photos. Screenshots are from Safari on a Mac so yours may vary a bit.

STEP 1. From the Halloween Forum homepage (or any page really) click on your username at the top right of the screen. This will take you to your personal profile page.

STEP 2. Scroll down until you see the word albums on the left hand side. On my profile it says "more" next to it. Click on the word "more" (It may say something different if you don't have any albums yet).

STEP 3. Click on "Create Album" to create a new photo album.

STEP 4. Name your album, and add a description. Then click "Save Changes." This should pop up a NEW window overtop of the current one.

STEP 5. In the new window, click "Choose File" and use that to select a new file from your computer. You can do that 5 times - once for each "Choose file" button.

You can also upload images from other websites in the section below but I'm not going to worry about that here.

STEP 6. Click the "Upload" button on the right hand side of the screen. IMPORTANT: On my computer, this pop-up window always shows up too narrow, so I don't see the "Upload" button. You may have to scroll or widen your window in order to see this button. And make sure you click the "Upload" button for the "Upload Files from Your Computer" not the "Upload Files from Website" Section.

Once you've clicked, "Upload" you will likely have to WAIT. I believe the server has some software which resizes the photo for the site. It seems like the bigger the photo the longer it will take. So I generally resize my photos to about 800px before I upload to speed up the process. If you seem to stall here, try making your photos smaller before uploading.

Wait until you see your filenames show up in the lower portion of the screen, where it says "Current Attachments" You'll see a "Remove Photo" button if you want to remove a photo from the list to be uploaded.

STEP 7. Once you see the filenames appear in the current attachments section, you can click "Close this Window" at the top right to...close this window.

STEP 8. Here's where I think things go off the rails for most people. You now see your original window, showing the contents of the new album, with the photos you just selected under the "Pending Photos" section.

You can go in and edit the information for each photo, and you can even select a different album for them to appear in (if you have multiple albums). But here's the important part...

YOU NEED TO CLICK THE "SAVE CHANGES" before the photos will stick. Otherwise they'll just disappear into the void. Sometimes you won't even see the "Save Changes" button unless you scroll down, so it's easy to miss. Once you've clicked that button, you should be returned to the album with the contents. And... you're done.

You can click "Upload Photos again" if you want to add additional photos to an album.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you know if there's any way to flip photos? For some reason they upload sideways for me from my phone, and I can't find a rotate button anywhere, nor a FAQ regarding how to use the album software. I ended up downloading them to my computer, flipping them, deleting the ones on the site, then re-uploading, but if there's an easier way to do it next time, I'm all ears. :/

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Robin! No such luck. I don't think there's any function on the forum for rotating that I know of. I think the way you're doing things is the only solution.

The problem with the photos...if you take them on your smartphone, the phone can pull data from the file that lets them know what orientation to display them in. The phone doesn't actually permanently rotate the file to the correct rotation, it's just kind of doing the equivalent of turning it's little digital head.

So when the files get to the stupid browser, it can't interpret that info so it just displays them without rotation. Which sucks.

Kinda talking outta my butt, but I think that's what happens.

I wish there was a better solution. It's already a pretty convoluted process. I just did a quick look and someone recommends always taking photos with your volume button facing down if you're planning on posting them to the web. Not sure if that works, and I rarely think that far ahead.

Anyway, I feel your pain! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts