Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I ordered my FCG rig from Monsterguts, I have everything I need for my ghost. I am having issues understanding how to string her up to the rig. Does anyone have simple instructions or illustrations on how the strings work? What goes where? It should be simple, I know, but I am not mechanically inclined to say the least.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It should be fairly simple. There are three pulleys on the support/motor platform. Under the back most pulley is where the head/body of the ghost will be supported. Under the left and right front pulleys are where you would hang the right and left arms. On the end of the crank arm (the part that is moved in a circle by the motor) There will be a few holes on a piece that can be spun in circles, probably a washer. Tie one end of the string to one of the holes on the spinney end. Run the string you just tied back to the pulley in the back for the head and then down to attach to the ghost. Repeat the string tying again for each arm, using the hole in the spinney washer closest to each pulley.

If parts of that didn't make sense, I'll see if I can dig up some pictures to help.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does help a little, so then the strings just drape over the pulleys, they aren't "wound" around it? Sorry if I sound so stupid.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That does help a little, so then the strings just drape over the pulleys, they aren't "wound" around it? Sorry if I sound so stupid.
Yes, exactly. The string just gets placed over the pulleys for the string to change direction down to the prop. This way, the horizontal crank arm can pull the string so that the prop moves vertically. You don't want to add any more tention to the line. The movement of the string should be fluid and without restriction.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If your head starts to move forward when the arms are raising add more slack to the arms ( i had this issue at first)
Unless you like that effect. I just finished my FCG and when I set the arms furthest away from the head I get a nice circular movement of the whole body, almost like the ghost is flying in a circle, not just hovering in place.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I am having a hard time figuring out how the "counterweight" works. The phantasmechanics site says that with this lightweight marionette, you shouldn't need one. So, if I don't need one, is the other end of my string tied to something? I don't understand what the pulley is for if there doesn't need to be a weight there. If I DO need a counterweight, any idea what weight it should be?

·
Registered
591 Posts
the counter weight is for a heavier prop so if your just doing the standard ghost you won't use it.If you had a heavier prop then you would use a counter weight something around the weight of a beer bottle. as far as the lines as you read this grab a piece of paper and pen and draw as I say this it maybe come clearer;From looking at the top of the frame think a Y with the left arm on one of the V parts and the right arm on the other part of the V .k? Now the head is attached to the third part of the Y they go from the rotating Crank with the Disk with three holes a line goes from each hole tied out and over each guide(pulley) down and attached to each arm or head ,one line, one hole ,over one guide.Hope this clear it up.If not I think there is a drawing online; google flying crank ghost and go to phantom mechanics.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only diagram I found was showing how it works with the counterweight. So if I don't use a counterweight, I just tie the head to the string where the counterweight would have been? I'm an idiot, I know, lol.

·
Registered
591 Posts
line drawing for the rigging of a FCG

I made a drawing excuse the artwork please and added a couple of photos maybe they will help.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the information, I finally got her up and running and she looks awesome!! The only thing I don't like is that when the head goes all the way down it leans way back. I can't figure out what to do to fix this problem. I think maybe the hook coming out of the wig head is too far back and the battery pack for the led eyes pulls it back. I will have to fix her next year I suppose. Again, thanks for all the helpful advice and information!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, nevermind, I just angled them a little bit more and it fixed the problem, duhhh, thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts