Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
So would this $50 projector work ok to do the singing pumpkins?
And I'm also looking for a good one to project in a downstairs window. I found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131807514470?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Would it do the window job? Sorry I'm new and have no idea which ones to buy! I don't have a lot to spend.
Any help would be great.
Could be OK- the lumens are good, but the native resolution is only 800x480 - not the greatest for crisp details. Remember, when they advertise 1080p, they're touting input resolution, not the picture you see. It really should be considered false advertising and it totally confuses everyone. Compare a few more and get the highest lumens & highest native resolution for the best price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was my setup from last year. I used Facade but it was super unstable so I am looking for another solution. Anyway, you can see the windows have the other projectors running indoors.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This was my setup from last year. I used Facade but it was super unstable so I am looking for another solution. Anyway, you can see the windows have the other projectors running indoors.
To eliminate stability issues you could just edit together your footage and use any media playing software or device. I have yet to find mapping software that runs smoothly enough, without spending a fortune for a PC or laptop. I make a map of my house and bring that into editing software to add all my elements, then just use windows media player for playback. Placing the projector in the exact spot that you made the initial trace map is key for this method though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To eliminate stability issues you could just edit together your footage and use any media playing software or device. I have yet to find mapping software that runs smoothly enough, without spending a fortune for a PC or laptop. I make a map of my house and bring that into editing software to add all my elements, then just use windows media player for playback. Placing the projector in the exact spot that you made the initial trace map is key for this method though.
I looked at doing that this year. I really want to be able to control the content and timing on the fly. If I cant get it to work out with other software I'll have to build the video. As far as the Projector, it's a 7000 Lumen Epson Powerlite Pro that weighs 50 lbs. I built a 200 lb, secure, weatherproof box for it with ventilation so once its in place it doesn't move for the season. I plan to run a wireless HDMI setup so I can cast content remotely. But i expect reliability issues so I'll keep the cabled setup in place for a backup as well. Its just a pain to have to go to the box get it unlocked and pry it open every time I want to change something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking a doing a few of the Atmosfx videos for our haunt this year. This is outdoors in the country so the only possibility of ambient lighting is the moon. I also have quite a bit of room for the throw of the projector also. I am hoping to hang a cloth in the woods and project what looks like a ghost in the distance in the woods. Would I be ok with a cheaper/low lumen projector being outside in the dark? Should I use rear projection or play it forward with something hiding the projector?

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
low resolution projectors are adequate for "fuzzy" images like ghosts

higher resolution looks better for more defined videos

a higher resolution projector will also work for ghosts & such, but you may not like the effect that a lower resolution projector gives for videos that are more defined ... obviously, a higher resolution projector typically costs more $$$

"bang-for-the-buck" ... i don't have unlimited $$$, so everything i do is done to, hopefully, maximize the effect for the least $$$ ... and remember, you don't know have to get everything for this season ... spend what you can afford every year & soon enough, you'll be amazed with how much halloween stuff you have ... and the tots will remember :)

d'oh! i really don't know how i got off on this tangent talking about $$$ ... i tend to veer off course every now & again ...

amk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've never tried this before but after watching all the videos etc its something i want to try i will be trying tracing paper with my projector this year and will post my results as soon as my projector arrives which is a Sanyo PLC-XE31 LCD projector.

1024 x 768 resolution.

1500 lumen.

400:1 contrast ratio.

can anyone tell me if this will be suitable if not then i will have to wait till next year as it will be too late to get another along with getting all my other decorations started intime for the big day :eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
For straight rear-screen projection in windows and doorways I recommend a flat white vinyl shower curtain liner. I know a lot of people say frosted but in my experience it occasionally shows the hot spot of the projector, a problem I never have with solid white. I would also strongly recommend placing a sheer black fabric (I use black Chiffon) between the curtain and the glass of the window. This does a wonderful job of increasing black levels and deadening reflection from outdoor ambient light.

For hologram simulations where you can see through the projected character into the room behind, I recommend either the Hollusion material from AtmosfearFX or Jonann's Fabrics' Casa Collection Chiffon in Platinum color. Both produce excellent results but the Hollusion material is twice the price of the Chiffon.

Visible hot-spotting and image bleed-through are inherent problems with hologram projections that simply come with the territory. There are ways around it in many circumstances. Projector placement is critical as you want the hot spot out of the spectator's line of sight; you also want the bleed-through to land in an area not seen by the spectator. This takes creativity and experiment. An example is what I do - my house sits on a slight upgrade from street level. I placed the projector on the floor and projected onto the window at an upward angle. The hot spot was below the spectators' line of sight and the bleed-through went over their heads and off into the sky.

And occasionally you have to bite the bullet and admit it's simply not possible in the circumstances you're working with. In that case it's back to the shower curtain, still an excellent effect.

I have several YouTube videos about all this. Hardly the last word on the subject but a decent introduction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So would this $50 projector work ok to do the singing pumpkins?
And I'm also looking for a good one to project in a downstairs window. I found this on ebay
Would it do the window job? Sorry I'm new and have no idea which ones to buy! I don't have a lot to spend.
Any help would be great.

flyn . . . I'm also looking for a less than $100 REAR projector for my front window. Not having much luck. The projector link you listed looks just like the Junpro projector on amazon ($79.68) I can't link it cause this is my 1st post, lol. I emailed the company and they said it didn't have a rear projection mode. That's assuming you are trying to project the image through the window. If you find one post it back on this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use an inexpensive "frosted" shower curtain as a rear projection screen (obtained from Walmart) and projected the AtmosFX Ghostly Apparitions DVD in my front doorway. It worked very well and was a big hit. Look at their website support page as suggested by WickedWino for detailed information and ideas. Their DVD's have several projection modes and can be set up as a rear projection so that the image is displayed correctly when viewed from the other side of the screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use an inexpensive "frosted" shower curtain as a rear projection screen (obtained from Walmart) and projected the AtmosFX Ghostly Apparitions DVD in my from doorway. It worked very well and was a big hit. Look at their website support page as suggested by WickedWino for detailed information and ideas. Their DVD's have several projection modes and can be set up as a rear projection so that the image is displayed correctly when viewed from the other side of the screen.

I totally misunderstood the rear projection. I thought the projector allowed the rear projection mode. You're saying the DVD has that reverse image and you can use any front projector, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, the DVD has the rear projection setting or "mode".
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm looking at the AtmosFx Zombie Swarm:shadows single download. I'm hoping a less than $100 projector will work for this. I have a dark room, can set the projector back from the front window anywhere from 3' to 12' and I'm thinking the less than ideal resolution, of a cheaper projector, for the zombie shadow clip, won't be too bad. The front window is 6' off the ground and nobody can walk right up to it. I'm mainly trying to attract trick or treaters up from the street.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm looking at the AtmosFx Zombie Swarm:shadows single download. I'm hoping a less than $100 projector will work for this. I have a dark room, can set the projector back from the front window anywhere from 3' to 12' and I'm thinking the less than ideal resolution, of a cheaper projector, for the zombie shadow clip, won't be too bad. The front window is 6' off the ground and nobody can walk right up to it. I'm mainly trying to attract trick or treaters up from the street.
I believe you can get by with a relatively inexpensive projector for a single window. I have two projectors that are 2000 lumens each, but I believe you can get a mini projector with around 100 to 500 lumens for well under $100 that would work just fine. Just get the highest lumens and resolution you can for the best price. Also, I would recommend one with an LED lamp. They last much longer than an incandescent bulb. Most new projectors will accept an HDMI cable and also will have a USB port for using a thumb drive if you want. Good luck and happy haunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For straight rear-screen projection in windows and doorways I recommend a flat white vinyl shower curtain liner. I know a lot of people say frosted but in my experience it occasionally shows the hot spot of the projector, a problem I never have with solid white. I would also strongly recommend placing a sheer black fabric (I use black Chiffon) between the curtain and the glass of the window. This does a wonderful job of increasing black levels and deadening reflection from outdoor ambient light.

For hologram simulations where you can see through the projected character into the room behind, I recommend either the Hollusion material from AtmosfearFX or Jonann's Fabrics' Casa Collection Chiffon in Platinum color. Both produce excellent results but the Hollusion material is twice the price of the Chiffon.

Visible hot-spotting and image bleed-through are inherent problems with hologram projections that simply come with the territory. There are ways around it in many circumstances. Projector placement is critical as you want the hot spot out of the spectator's line of sight; you also want the bleed-through to land in an area not seen by the spectator. This takes creativity and experiment. An example is what I do - my house sits on a slight upgrade from street level. I placed the projector on the floor and projected onto the window at an upward angle. The hot spot was below the spectators' line of sight and the bleed-through went over their heads and off into the sky.

And occasionally you have to bite the bullet and admit it's simply not possible in the circumstances you're working with. In that case it's back to the shower curtain, still an excellent effect.

I have several YouTube videos about all this. Hardly the last word on the subject but a decent introduction.
New member to the forum and thanks JCO for the detailed YouTube video. Great information. I went to Joann Fabrics yesterday and picked up the Chiffon based on your YouTube. Recommendation - make sure you search on your phone for a coupon before buying. I did a quick google and it took me to their main website for a 30% off coupon. Ended up being only $5.60 per yard as opposed to $7.99. One thing of note is that the color inside the store may be called something different. In my store it was blue something.. I can't recall off the top of my head what the other part of the color was and I am at work so I can't check the exact name. The lady did confirm that the color is the same as platinum though. This weekend and plan to work on the set up.

Couple other things...I did buy the WindowFX system from HD. I figured I could use that for something. I also just purchased the projector below from Amazon. I am just getting started off with this stuff so I figured that would be a good entry. Has anybody else had a good experience with it?

S1 LED LCD (WVGA) Mini Video Projector - International Version (No Warranty) - DIY Series - Black (FP8048S1-IV2)
I can't post the link since this is my first post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New member to the forum and thanks JCO for the detailed YouTube video. Great information. I went to Joann Fabrics yesterday and picked up the Chiffon based on your YouTube. Recommendation - make sure you search on your phone for a coupon before buying. I did a quick google and it took me to their main website for a 30% off coupon. Ended up being only $5.60 per yard as opposed to $7.99. One thing of note is that the color inside the store may be called something different. In my store it was blue something.. I can't recall off the top of my head what the other part of the color was and I am at work so I can't check the exact name. The lady did confirm that the color is the same as platinum though. This weekend and plan to work on the set up.

Couple other things...I did buy the WindowFX system from HD. I figured I could use that for something. I also just purchased the projector below from Amazon. I am just getting started off with this stuff so I figured that would be a good entry. Has anybody else had a good experience with it?

S1 LED LCD (WVGA) Mini Video Projector - International Version (No Warranty) - DIY Series - Black (FP8048S1-IV2)
I can't post the link since this is my first post.

I also looked at that amazon projector. That projector states it has 1200 International lumens and that is equivalent to 120 US lumens. I've never heard that there are 2 classifications for lumens. Have you compared the brightness to the WindowFx projector?

·
Registered
21 Posts
would hanging it up and using a hairdryer on it work it would soften the plastic and let the creases drop out ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I built a frame out of 1X4s and stapled the shower curtain to it then I used a heat gun to shrink the wrinkles out. But be careful not to overheat the plastic. Use the low setting or maybe try a hair dryer first.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts