Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dont know about it going over the backdrop, but we used to use a projector to watch tv and movies on and we bought one of those fancy shmancy projector screens but using a plain white wall was better, it was a solid surface and it held crisper lines.
Thanks. Hadn't thought of that. Perhaps, when I purchase a projector, I will give it a dress rehearsal on both a white wall and the backdrop and see what happens. The video is of white ghosts, so I thought they might have an ethereal look over a darker backdrop...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Greetings fellow Halloween enthusiast. I have browsed the site for a while and decided to add some atmosfearFX videos to my display this year. I have read many other sites as well as this one and decided to take the advice of using/trying the bridal vial. I even used the exact one that was listed but IMO it does not work well. No matter what you can see the light shinning from behind quite strong even if it's at an angle to see the display properly. I even tried doubling the bridal mesh (gray) and it still shinned through to much.

I had also heard about using a frosted shower curtain and this was MUCH much better. Picture was clear and life like and zero signs of the projector light. Granted it is not transparent so you dont see what is behind it except for some shadows but for showing the actual image it works great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny how these projection threads all start out with the frosted shower curtain liner, go through different materials and meshes, then circle right back to the frosted shower curtain liner. lol
Yes it is. I'm a little curious myself if there is not some relationship between the mesh and people suggesting it because honestly I can not see how it can work properly in real world applications.

If anyone disagrees please feel free to elaborate.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I love the ultraprojector. I now have 5 projectors and the Ultra was my first and still my favorite. It is rugged, I have dropped and broken the lens housing a few times. Just superglued it back together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love the ultraprojector. I now have 5 projectors and the Ultra was my first and still my favorite. It is rugged, I have dropped and broken the lens housing a few times. Just superglued it back together.
Those are like $200 each. You can pick up DLP projectors that are very good for under $40 on ebay including shipping all day long. Ive bought 4 the last couple of weeks with 2000 lumes and no spots.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I never recommended it over anything else. I have a 2500 lumen projector, 500x2 and a 3m apple projector.... All have merits and the Ultraprojector was the one I paid the most for as it was new. I got it years ago when it was first released, it is rugged and dependable. It has been in rain and I just popped off the lens housing and drained all the water out of it. Still going, not sure how many other projectors will do that.

It lacks keystone and some other features that would be nice, it however is a great all weather consideration. Buying a couple of $50.00 ebay projectors that short in the rain, leaves you without a projection.

My comment was how much I loved the product.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I work in AV and I have projectors in my arsenal ranging from 500 Lumen 50 dollar Ebay to a 7000 Lumen NEC monster. There are a myriad of factors to consider. the throw Distance from the projector to the surface. If you can tolerate a longer throw then you have more options. The brightness of your environment such as street lights etc. Where the window its 2nd floor vs first floor. and of course quality. It is viewed from a distance or up close.

When projecting on the first floor (eye level) be sure and get a projector that can do keystone correction (My 50 dollar ebay one can't but the rest of mine can) key stone correction will allow you to mount the projector below the line of site to the window to prevent the glare behind it. When you lower the projector and cast the image upward you will see the top of the image is wider than the bottom. This is called keystoning. Most mid-range and higher end projectors have the ability to correct this.

Quality is of course subjective your mind may be blown by a 50 dollar 500 lumen ebay projector while to someone else it may be unbearable. I will use my little cheap projector on things that are in a darker environment and farther away and use the higher end ones for more up close stuff. The big one I plan to use to projector map my house for animations this year but still working through that.

For rear projection in windows I use the the cheapest translucent shower curtains I can get at Home Depot or Lowes. The thicker they are the harder it is for light to pass through in some cases you may need thicker to mute the image a bit but for most of us thinner is better.

Here is what I have up so far. I have to move some lights around for the thunder storm add the tombs and other fabric and props as well as the projector mapping but its coming together.

https://youtu.be/x32bWZ_tNdg

My two cents

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am having an issue of to much lumen power for my window projection currently. It works but 2500 moves the image to the window, so I lose some of the effect that a 500 creates. The big one is much clearer, but the 500 makes better use of the screen, thus it looks like it is a foot or two away from the window. Next year the big projector will go for some house mapping ideas I have.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The actual plan is to use another 500 lumen projector (just ordered my 5th projector) and use that one. My screen is that Plat colored cloth from Jo Anns, lots of people have been using that. This frees up the last projector for my major scheme next year. I was always talking about making a FACADE, with the projector I can either modify my home's appearance, have an entire new look or a full blown out show. Really makes more sense that going the Styrofoam façade.

Now if my future neighbors cooperate, I am going to put my projector in their second floor window :) Of course I also realized that a full house mapping eliminates the need for some of my projections... lets me do even more things. Really excited about the possibilities.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The actual plan is to use another 500 lumen projector (just ordered my 5th projector) and use that one. My screen is that Plat colored cloth from Jo Anns, lots of people have been using that. This frees up the last projector for my major scheme next year. I was always talking about making a FACADE, with the projector I can either modify my home's appearance, have an entire new look or a full blown out show. Really makes more sense that going the Styrofoam façade.

Now if my future neighbors cooperate, I am going to put my projector in their second floor window :) Of course I also realized that a full house mapping eliminates the need for some of my projections... lets me do even more things. Really excited about the possibilities.
Trust me when I say this, make sure you have a high resolution projector, the further away you are, or larger you are having the image be. Going full house is best seen from a distance, and the closer your viewers are, the more pixelated (screen door effect) the image.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am having an issue of to much lumen power for my window projection currently.
That's exactly the problem I am having with my setup. I am testing the tulle pinned to the window frame, but with my 3000 lumen projector, the image is reflected right on the back wall. I have the platinum chiffon coming this week and I'm wondering if I have a frame built and the chiffon stapled on a frame if that would help. The chiffon would be much closer to the window... A fire & ice light inside does help diffuse the reflected image on the back wall, but you can still see it.

It is looking more like I will have to revert back to a white shower curtain... darn!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've been doing whole house projections since 2009 with 2000+ lumen projectors - which are required to get a huge image like that. But for my indoor, window projections, I use this little, tiny $40 gem - and it only pushes 80 lumens:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMG1C4Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It works excellent as it doesn't fill the entire room up with ambient light and casts a fantastic ghost on the windows. The only shortcoming is that you need a throw distance of at least 10'-12' for the image to appear life-size. Any smaller of a room and the image begins to shrink dramatically.

I use a cheap, frosty-white shower curtain screen, stapled to a wooden frame and place it in the window. I have cars slowing down each night to "ooh and ahh".

Ghost Window 1.jpg

It's a nice way to advertise, "Come back on Halloween - because you ain't seen nothing yet!"

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've been doing whole house projections since 2009 with 2000+ lumen projectors - which are required to get a huge image like that. But for my indoor, window projections, I use this little, tiny $40 gem - and it only pushes 80 lumens:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMG1C4Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It works excellent as it doesn't fill the entire room up with ambient light and casts a fantastic ghost on the windows. The only shortcoming is that you need a throw distance of at least 10'-12' for the image to appear life-size. Any smaller of a room and the image begins to shrink dramatically.

I use a cheap, frosty-white shower curtain screen, stapled to a wooden frame and place it in the window. I have cars slowing down each night to "ooh and ahh".

View attachment 260801

It's a nice way to advertise, "Come back on Halloween - because you ain't seen nothing yet!"
Any sample of your work? I love seeing what others do for full mapping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I never recommended it over anything else. I have a 2500 lumen projector, 500x2 and a 3m apple projector.... All have merits and the Ultraprojector was the one I paid the most for as it was new. I got it years ago when it was first released, it is rugged and dependable. It has been in rain and I just popped off the lens housing and drained all the water out of it. Still going, not sure how many other projectors will do that.

It lacks keystone and some other features that would be nice, it however is a great all weather consideration. Buying a couple of $50.00 ebay projectors that short in the rain, leaves you without a projection.

My comment was how much I loved the product.
I didnt mean for it to come across in a negative way. I apologize if it seemed that way.

As for setting them outside I learned a little trick a few years back when doing a similar thing with laser projectors to display Green/Red moving dots on the house for Christmas. A simple/cheap plastic container with a little hole cut for the lens works great at keeping the water off of them and adds some camouflage.

·
Registered
80 Posts

View attachment 260801

How detailed is that little projector's image? Curious if it's good right up close.

Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
The resolution is pretty low - 640x480 - but from the street, it looks great. Content and application of the effect really make a difference as there is no one-size fits all application. Figure out what you want to project and where in the house, then find the right equipment. Projecting on an upstairs window vs pumpkins vs entire house map take different types of projecting equipment to get right (and price points). For my ghost effect, I have $50 in it (projector and screen) which allows me more $$ for other effects.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How detailed is that little projector's image? Curious if it's good right up close.

Thanks!
I was considering one of those $50 amazon/ebay HDMI LED projectors and 90% of the reviews say they suck. Cant read text and images are blurry at best. I have 5, 2000 lume projectors and I turn them on low

·
Registered
4 Posts
The resolution is pretty low - 640x480 - but from the street, it looks great. Content and application of the effect really make a difference as there is no one-size fits all application. Figure out what you want to project and where in the house, then find the right equipment. Projecting on an upstairs window vs pumpkins vs entire house map take different types of projecting equipment to get right (and price points). For my ghost effect, I have $50 in it (projector and screen) which allows me more $$ for other effects.
So would this $50 projector work ok to do the singing pumpkins?
And I'm also looking for a good one to project in a downstairs window. I found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131807514470?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Would it do the window job? Sorry I'm new and have no idea which ones to buy! I don't have a lot to spend.
Any help would be great.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts