Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received great advice when looking for a fog machine last year resulting in the purchase of the Chavets Hurricane.
Now I am interested in the AtmosFEARfx videos that I saw at Spirit. I'd like to project it on my living room window.
It's right at 4 x 5 tall. The person at Spirit said they actually set theirs up backwards or something so the projector
is inside yet looks correct from the outside, projected off a mirror ? Not sure. Also I'll need a projector, Don't have
$200 - $600 for a projector , I have found some $50 - $100 ones on e-bay but have no clue what to look for.
I'd appreciate any and all help.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
335 Posts
Check out this link to the AtmosFEARfx Support page. Lots of good info on how to set up and project onto a window.
http://atmosfearfx.com/support

I've used an old cream colored sheet hung in the window and projector set up inside. I've also seen other recommendations to project onto a cheap shower curtain. I had the sheet on hand, so I went with that.

Try searching the forum for projector recommendations. There are several discussions on that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried the projector idea last year. Bought one on eBay with the requirement of it having an hdmi connection. I figured that way it's not an ancient piece of hardware. Ended up paying about $270 but when the bulb burned out of my large screen dip tv - it saved us from being without a tv for the Week it took to get a replacement bulb! Just plugged in my projector to the cable box and pointed it on the wall. Anyway, the problem with a projector is the beam. When pointed at a window it shows through and distracts from the video effect. A sheet or shower curtain works to display the image without seeing the beams. Only thing to note is they may diffuse the image somewhat. But if the viewers are out on the street it should look pretty good from there. I bought the projector film from atmosfear to put over a standard size window which worked well and the image was sharp. My only other advice is this is not suitable for a close up prop. I thought about trying to have a ghost image above a tombstone but if you are close to it you can't help but realize it's just an image on a screen. I wish I had a large window to better use the atmosfear DVD I bought. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the projector idea last year. Bought one on eBay with the requirement of it having an hdmi connection. I figured that way it's not an ancient piece of hardware. Ended up paying about $270 but when the bulb burned out of my large screen dip tv - it saved us from being without a tv for the Week it took to get a replacement bulb! Just plugged in my projector to the cable box and pointed it on the wall. Anyway, the problem with a projector is the beam. When pointed at a window it shows through and distracts from the video effect. A sheet or shower curtain works to display the image without seeing the beams. Only thing to note is they may diffuse the image somewhat. But if the viewers are out on the street it should look pretty good from there. I bought the projector film from atmosfear to put over a standard size window which worked well and the image was sharp. My only other advice is this is not suitable for a close up prop. I thought about trying to have a ghost image above a tombstone but if you are close to it you can't help but realize it's just an image on a screen. I wish I had a large window to better use the atmosfear DVD I bought. Good luck!
Yea I was told to use wax paper or a clear shower curtain. Will do a search on the projectors. Saw one called an UltraProjector.
Only thing is it doesn't have an input for dvd. Has a 2gig internal player, it is water proof if I wanted to project onto a wall.
Any input on this model ?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out this link to the AtmosFEARfx Support page. Lots of good info on how to set up and project onto a window.

I've used an old cream colored sheet hung in the window and projector set up inside. I've also seen other recommendations to project onto a cheap shower curtain. I had the sheet on hand, so I went with that.

Try searching the forum for projector recommendations. There are several discussions on that.
Thanks for the link answered many questions. Didn't realize the reverse projection was the type of media and projector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am testing one now...bought a projector for 60 bucks on ebay.

So far.....rear projection on a frosted shower curtain works well. I will be testing the white curtain , which is suppose to be better (less hot spots, which i had with frosted).
I also have a scrim for the front of it to darken the black.....
Pics soon......I was happy with the frosted curtain....so anything else will be an improvement.

·
Registered
58 Posts
5 mil painters plastic works really well also for rear projection. Ya know the stuff that you buy at the hardware to cover your furniture when you paint? And it is really cheap. I'm am looking for 3 mil to try but it's harder to find.

I've also used really fine "bridal veil" fabric from the fabric store. You need a BRIGHT projector for this to look good with rear projection, but it looks amazing because you can see through it. For example... people outside the house can see both you inside the house, and also see the ghost or whatever you are projecting. Makes it look crazy real to the people outside. It's a great effect if you can get the right combo of material and projector.

I do this with atmosfearfx ghostly apparitions DVD and people go crazy wondering how it's done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 mil painters plastic works really well also for rear projection. Ya know the stuff that you buy at the hardware to cover your furniture when you paint? And it is really cheap. I'm am looking for 3 mil to try but it's harder to find.

I've also used really fine "bridal veil" fabric from the fabric store. You need a BRIGHT projector for this to look good with rear projection, but it looks amazing because you can see through it. For example... people outside the house can see both you inside the house, and also see the ghost or whatever you are projecting. Makes it look crazy real to the people outside. It's a great effect if you can get the right combo of material and projector.

I do this with atmosfearfx ghostly apparitions DVD and people go crazy wondering how it's done.
What type of projector are you using ?
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
What type of projector are you using ?
Thanks
Well... the one I used last year got trashed (long story) and I don't recall the exact model (I wish i did). But I know it was over 2000 lumens.it may have even been in the 2300 range. Now I am using this one which is only 1600 lumens and it definitely doesn't look as nice on the bridal veil stuff. It looks very good on the painters plastic though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116337

I'm again looking for that perfect combination... especially for the singing pumpkins DVD I plan to do this year.

I've ordered several cheap projectors to test for the pumpkins (thank you to Amazon's return policy) which I plan to review and post video of in the coming weeks. I'll post a link when i'm done in case that will help anyone in that area.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Did the projection shine through the bridal veil through to outside? If someone were to walk up to it wouldn't it shine through onto them or across the street? Or was it in an upstairs window? When I use bridal veil it comes through the other side.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did the projection shine through the bridal veil through to outside? If someone were to walk up to it wouldn't it shine through onto them or across the street? Or was it in an upstairs window? When I use bridal veil it comes through the other side.

To be honest, I hadn't really thought of it shining through. The window i'm projecting onto is a 1st floor window, but the bottom of the window is about 6 feet high as compared to ground level in the front yard. So I've never see anything shining through onto anything because there is nothing in line with it... as you said... similar to an upstairs window.

I have been looking for "finer" mesh fabric to get an even better image (better resolution / more dots per inch) so to speak. And the finer the mesh, the less light bleed through, Im sure.

Im glad you mentioned that. I'll have to pay attention to bleed specifically when I set it up this year.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I used a decent grey mesh material from wal mart that worked well. It gave really good imaging and was somewhat transparent. The bridal mesh was best at transparency though. It shines through to whatever is on he other side though. I will post a link to the bridal mesh and grey mesh.
Here's the bridal mesh. The iphone kept going out of focus but you can see how it looked when it comes into focus really quick.

Bridal mesh
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2gFRZ2ci6U

Here's the grey mesh. Much better resolution.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeFxukK3vM

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used a decent grey mesh material from wal mart that worked well. It gave really good imaging and was somewhat transparent. The bridal mesh was best at transparency though. It shines through to whatever is on he other side though. I will post a link to the bridal mesh and grey mesh.
Here's the bridal mesh. The iphone kept going out of focus but you can see how it looked when it comes into focus really quick.

Bridal mesh
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E2gFRZ2ci6U

Here's the grey mesh. Much better resolution.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeFxukK3vM

Thanks for sharing the vids.

Do you happen to have a link to purchase the gray mesh? I wouldn't mind giving that a try myself. Looks like a nice result.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don't know if I have the item number. It was from walmart at the fabric section. Let me take a photo of it. That might help. I think it's fairly common there. I bought the last of it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here's some photos I just took of the grey mesh. I also included the receipt for this piece. The UPC number is under the barcode. Maybe they can look it up that way. The lady said it would auto reorder since I bought the last of it so I am gonna go back for more soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Also, I was only using my 100 lumens projector for this. I found when I used my 1800 lumens optoma it lit up the hallway too much. I thought this worked better with my pico projector. I also did not have the back lit up like I did with the white tule but it was fairly transparent just not as much as the tule. But like you said with the mesh the projection was much more vibrant due to the tighter weave of the fabric. I liked the mesh the best but for transparency the tule won out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, I was only using my 100 lumens projector for this. I found when I used my 1800 lumens optoma it lit up the hallway too much. I thought this worked better with my pico projector. I also did not have the back lit up like I did with the white tule but it was fairly transparent just not as much as the tule. But like you said with the mesh the projection was much more vibrant due to the tighter weave of the fabric. I liked the mesh the best but for transparency the tule won out.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing all that info. Thanks also for the pics and for the receipt with the numbers on it. I will run there and see if i can get this... or something similar.

If it means anything... I've heard you can buy "mosquito netting". Supposedly it is really dense. I'd love to try that also.
Just a quick search and I found this: http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Mosquito-Net-Single-White/dp/B000KKB2OS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410400649&sr=8-1&keywords=mosquito+netting

I might give it a try also.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Thank you for the link. I purchased two of the AtmosFEARfx videos this year and am going to try to project "Ghostly Apparitions" on a wall, over a large 8' x 8' backdrop. I am a total novice -- no experience with DVD projectors. I am searching the forum for recommendations. Has anyone tried projecting the videos on a wall? RedStairs.jpg

·
Ghouls Rule
2,580 Posts
I dont know about it going over the backdrop, but we used to use a projector to watch tv and movies on and we bought one of those fancy shmancy projector screens but using a plain white wall was better, it was a solid surface and it held crisper lines.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts