Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just wondering how you all have your props go off? I have a few props, such as creepy little girl on the swing, and a couple of other that need either sound or light to activate. Or of course a step pad... My props are abut 20 feet or so from the road, so motion activating doesnt work nor does sound.
I bought a motion detector light fixture, figuring I could use that sensor. For some reason the sensor works but will not activate the props at all. Any ideas why that doesnt work? Any other suggestions on how to get them to work?

Lastly, if I leave some props on all the time will they burn out?

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello everyone. Just wondering how you all have your props go off? I have a few props, such as creepy little girl on the swing, and a couple of other that need either sound or light to activate. Or of course a step pad... My props are abut 20 feet or so from the road, so motion activating doesnt work nor does sound.
I bought a motion detector light fixture, figuring I could use that sensor. For some reason the sensor works but will not activate the props at all. Any ideas why that doesnt work? Any other suggestions on how to get them to work?

Lastly, if I leave some props on all the time will they burn out?

Thanks

Ken
Leaving your props on for long periods of time should be fine, as long as they are meant to be run like that. One of the popular ways to trigger props (manually at least) is to hook them up to one of cheap ebay RF relay's. I'm using a 12 channel one this year and it will be able to control mostly everything in my maze and my back yard, where our party will be.

- Daniel

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got the swinging girl as well among other props.

For the swinging girl, I use one of those xmas remote outlet things. Plug her into the outlet, then outlet into extension cord and when I want her to swing and LALALALALAAA I hit number 3 on my remote.

For the other props, I have created a control box with doorbells. I run a speaker wire from the doorbell to the props Try Me cord. I keep the cord in and cut off the button and attach to the speaker wire. May not get full "show" of the prop but for the amount of time people stand infront of the prop, it has worked for three years.

I use the same doorbell method for my PicoBoos, So I have 10, well 12 this year, doorbell buttons labeled in my box and at any time can push one or two and it sets the prop off. Gives me more control for when to use the prop. don't like some of them going off for the young young kids .....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, but I was hoping for something I dont have to control. I really would like to just be able to have them set off by them selves. I am going to try setting up lights controlled by motion sensor, and when the sensor trips, lights go off (or on
0 and props activate......
Oh and CBHaunt... The young kids are the best to scare. They usually just stare 'cause they arent sure what is happening and the parents are always there as well. HeeHee (evil laugh)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't understand why the motion detecting light fixture doesn't work. The simplest hack I've seen is to first wire a power cord to the light fixture. Then put a screw in plug into the light socket and plug your prop into that. You can make sure the fixture is working by putting a light bulb in it and make sure it goes on. If it does then there is something wrong with your wiring to your prop. Also, are your props running off of house current, 110 or 12v?

·
Registered
367 Posts
For sound activated props, some use the driveway alarms (harbor freight), TOTer sets off the alarm, it chimes (placed on prop), the chimes actives the sound sensor.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm working an infrared Arduino setup this year. No time to write it up before Halloween but I will after. Hoping to have 3 Spirit props activated with a my TV remote. Got 1 working so far & need to build the other setups.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey ScaryCanuck....I use the driveway alerts from harbor freight for just the purpose you are looking for. I hack them by removing the alarm chime from the case, then adding wire between the case and the chime to allow me to hot glue the chime over the sound sensor on the prop. The alerts work on batteries so no need to have any other power source. Actually, since the props will be as far away from people as you say you can just put the receiver with the chime next to the sound sensor with no need for the extra wiring. Put the sending unit where you want it to trigger from, put the receiver at the prop on low sound setting and you will be good to go. I have about 20 of these now and they work great. Cost is around $12 each when you get them on sale. This set up is quick, easy, cheap, and requires no knowledge of electronics except how to put batteries in the box. And all of mine have worked flawlessly on every prop I have tried them on. You can also add a 5 or 10 ohm resistor to the wiring to the chime and there is virtually no sound at all but the prop still triggers. This suggestion came from BobbyA. Just be sure to get alarms that work on different channels if you are setting up more than one prop unless you want them all to trigger at the same time :D. It takes about 30 minutes to make this if you do the wiring or about 30 seconds if you just use the alert right out of the box. I have a thread with lots of info about this on here somewhere. I can never find it when I need it ...lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know namrog. cannot figure it out either. just like you said wire it up to household extension cord, screw in plug, plug in prop. nothing. I have a light bulb in and it works just fine. The props are all working off household current 110.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm will have to see what i can find around here like that, sounds like a great plan.
Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
Btw...the driveway alerts will work on motion activated props as well. The receiver has led lights that light up when the sending unit triggers. Just put the receiver on the prop with the led lights over the light sensor on the prop. Put cloth or something over the receiver to disguise it and voila...instant prop controller. At least it works for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check your hot neutral and ground again on the fixture. you might have gotten something swapped, probably the neutral and ground, so you are not getting the return out to your props. If you know how to wire an outlet you should be able to get this to work.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the driveway motion sensor method isn't working for the OP due to not all props "start up" upon power up. If you prop doesn't normally run through a cycle just by applying power, then the hacked driveway lights will do you no good for those props. If the prop is light activated, the harbor freight driveway alarm is a good choice. To use the hacked driveway light you would need to have a light activate the prop, that is on its own constant power source. Same hold true for sound activated props. Have the hacked driveway light hooked up to a sound source to activate the prop that is also on a steady power source. I know it all sounds confusing, but hacked driveway lights work best on props that trigger, activate when power is applied. Keep in mind that if your prop does run when power is applied, that you have to give it enough time to run its cycle before the power shuts off too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Icepick you made a good point about the timer. There is usually an adjustment to leave the light on longer maybe he doesn't have that set long enough. Also, I don't think the cheap HF motion sensors are available in Canada (assuming ScaryCanuck lives in Canada).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that is a good point icepick. i will check with it not on test so timer is on longer

·
Registered
70 Posts
THE CHEAPEST and EASIEST...I use a kit I ordered off of ebay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-...080934?hash=item2ee7f4e126:g:k48AAMXQeW5TZ16h You solder it together and then cut your creature motion sensor wire. Solder each wire to the kit and when you connect a 9 volt battery, the led simulates the IR and the device continuously runs. I use these on about 9 of my creatures without issues.

photo (1).jpg This photo shows the kit attached to the battery and wired to the IR sensor wires that I cut and soldered.
photo.jpg This photo shows where I soldered the IR wires. It doesn't matter which one you choose. Leave the wires a little long running through the board to make it easier to solder to them. Order a few extras if you're not good with a soldering gun. Enjoy!

·
Registered
361 Posts
for the driveway and steps leading to the front door I use step pads. I use modified porch motion sensors in the front yard (they power a 12 volt walwart that powers a 12 volt relay) and finally I use a wireless remote for the prop next to the front door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts