Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like it will rain in our area on Halloween. We have several blacklights that we were planning on putting outside. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to protect them from the rain and still be able to use them? Also, I believe our fog machines should not get wet. Any suggestions for protecting them while they run?

Typical Ghoul Next Door
If it is a light rain with no real wind, we usually use garbage bags, duct tape and some stakes to create little tents over the foggers and stuff. We drive in 4 stakes to the ground, then duct tape the garbage bag over the stakes so it forms a shelter but isn't touching the fogger (which needs air circulation and gets rather hot).

If it's a more windy situation, I'd think that would effect your fog anyway so I'd probably not use them. I have heard of using rubbermaid/storage containers to shelter things tho (would definitely need some sort of vent holes tho so hopefully someone else chimes in with better ideas).

Not sure what I'd do for lights that aren't rated to be outdoors. We don't use anything outside that isn't waterproof for those. :(

Monster Collector
I use a box with the ends cut out for our fog machine if it rains.

Mummy Dearest
It rains all the time here. We've used all of the above mentioned. Plastic bags work for a mist, Rubbermaid lids, we have those out there right now, boxes work too, but they get WET here, so they start to sag. I would follows Frankie's advice - vent, vent and vent. Some fog machines get hot and can melt the bag and with Rubbermaid, it can get hot.

Our go to solution are rubber garbage can lids propped up with stakes. (if not windy) that way there is air flow but keeps the rain off.

As I speak it is raining HORRIBLY. Ugh. And the rain is coming. Good luck!

Going bump in the night..
Are the black lights facing upward, or downward?...or just mounted laterally for a broad wash?
I ask due to the nature of the protection.

If I recall, plexiglass and acrylic sheets somewhat block UV light, thereby drastically reducing the effectiveness of blacklights - so, if facing upward our just outward, they'll need a clear protection, and plexiglass/acrylic might disrupt your display.
Standard glass allows much more UV to pass through, but then you have the potential issue of breakage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts