Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago I posted about using an Arduino to engage the park feature on a frightprops wiper motor for my sitting "zombie" prop. Well luckly all the parts shipped in from China rather quickly! Now that I'm sitting down to program I realize that I have no idea how to make the motor park. I want my relay 1 to start the motor for about a half a turn then stopping having my head looking up. Then have relay 2 turn on a moment later moving the head the rest of the way around stopping at park. The label on the motor tells me that the red wire is + and the blue and green wires are - for high and low speed. Then the label only tells me that black and yellow wires are park 1 and 2 without any instructions of how to hook it up.

I found this video that kinda gives me an idea of how this should work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUqkQmWVVOM

It looks as if I should have my park wire 1 in my NC2 and my park wire 2 going into the com2 port with a jumper from my com1 port thats getting 12v of power.

Please let me know if you've ever encountered this before.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip! I had looked into doing something like this before but realized that I really don't need to change the direction of my motor. If I send constant power to my motor the head will keep bobbing up and down till power is removed. LOL kinda looks like he's rocking out to some metal music. After messing with it a bit last night I found that if I trigger my relay for about half a second I get about a half of a rotation. This is great for getting my head to moved from looking down to looking up. To get my head looking back down all I need to do is have the motor engage again for another half a second but I need it to park to keep my timing moving correctly.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Here ya go, this will work using 2 relays. When relay 1 energizes it will run the motor continuous. When relay 2 energizes it will run the motor to the park position and stop (unless the motor is already in the park position). The diagram shows the high speed blue wire which I assume you'll want. You'll have to get the timing right for relay 1 so it energizes just long enough to complete a half turn (head up). Relay 2 needs to be energized long enough for the motor to park. DO NOT energize both relays at the same time.

Parking Wiper Motor.JPG

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW thanks your a life saver! Just making sure, the black wire from NO relay 2 is not connect to the wire going into relay 2 COM? I assume that's what the little hump is saying.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You definitely do NOT need an H-Bridge. I've got TWO tutorials:
and
Those should provide lots of information.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I'll add another bit of info on this. I've never really used the "park" feature on any of my props so I had to do some testing with a brand new Frightprops parking motor that I had still in the box. The "park" feature would not work. I removed the screws that hold the cover on to find out what the problem was. There's 3 contact strips that ride on the metal face of the nylon gear, 2 of the contacts on this motor were bent flat against the inside of the cover and were not even touching the gear. After carefully bending them out and making sure they aligned properly, I reassembled the cover and the motor parked as it should.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not too long ago I posted about using an Arduino to engage the park feature on a frightprops wiper motor for my sitting "zombie" prop. Well luckly all the parts shipped in from China rather quickly! Now that I'm sitting down to program I realize that I have no idea how to make the motor park. I want my relay 1 to start the motor for about a half a turn then stopping having my head looking up. Then have relay 2 turn on a moment later moving the head the rest of the way around stopping at park. The label on the motor tells me that the red wire is + and the blue and green wires are - for high and low speed. Then the label only tells me that black and yellow wires are park 1 and 2 without any instructions of how to hook it up.

I found this video that kinda gives me an idea of how this should work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUqkQmWVVOM

It looks as if I should have my park wire 1 in my NC2 and my park wire 2 going into the com2 port with a jumper from my com1 port thats getting 12v of power.

Please let me know if you've ever encountered this before.
if you look at creepy creations 2nd motor video,

he shows you how to use the 2nd park feature. By adding a mechanical roller switch, you will be able to create the second park where you need it to be. You can have one park at the hunched over position, the second at the upright position. It may prove difficult to get it to park correctly every time with the arduino, but with this switch you can locate exactly where you want it to park.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts