Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing some great projects with it here I finally bought a Squawkers McCaw and the board to go with it from J-Man. The problem is that my theme is a spooky graveyard, nothing piratey.

My solution is to turn Squakwers into a zombie parrot in a cage, but I'm not sure how to tackle paining the faux fur material he is covered in. Any recommendations? Can I use acrylic paint? Or do I need to use fabric paint?

Thanks all!

·
2,613 Posts
I've done two other parrots since 2010, and used thinned down UV acrylic paints kinda dry brushed on. You could do the same with regular acrylic paints.
The trick is not to use the paint too thick. You could also try airbrushing the paint onto the feathers which I did to get a black base coat on before painting him .
Came out pretty nice. I'll try and find some pics.

·
2,613 Posts
Wow Bobzilla, I just saw the first barnacle covered parrot you did in 2010 in the other thread. Amazing! Do you have pictures of your second one? Did you do the same technique with that one of painting it with latex first? Or did you go straight to UV acrylic?
I didn't use the latex on the second or third parrot I did.
The latex ended up being like a straight jacket on the parrot. Limited movement on the parrot after he was coated with the latex.
He looked good, but I didn't want to repeat that technique.
Here are a few pics of one of the UV painted parrots I did.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you choose to paint the bird, try using acrylic fabric paints or even fabric dyes if you have an air brush. They're made to absorb into fabric instead of giving it an unworkable coat that latex paints will. It might help to Google "using fabric paints on fake fur." Cosplayers and Furries do a lot of work coloring their fake fur costumes, and like folks here, they're really happy to show how they do things. I'd watch a few videos and read a few articles before diving right in. And maybe pick up a chunk of fake fur that looks similar to your parrot and try things out before committing it to being painted.

Another thing to think about is just hacking off some of your parrot's "feathers". If you're going to make a zombie bird, roughing up his look by cutting away parts of the perfectly coiffed bird might work. Bobzilla's Davy Jones Parrot is a perfect example of adding a ribcage to the bird to give it a look that says "zombie". While you can't actually cut into the working mechanism, removing portions of the fur and painting the sublayer to look like bone might be very effective. Also as you get him even more worked over, adding a few beat up real feathers where they would be can also make it look as if there are many others missing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts