Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to make wood look like metal or rusting metal (update with finished pictures)

I need some help from some of the experts on here!
I have built a wood cage for my 2014 haunt. I am trying to make it look like it is metal or rusting metal.
Ultimately, it will be in a dark location, so I suppose a follow up question would be: in low light, what color should it be so that it shows up, and so that it appears to be metal (vs wood)
I am open to hear all suggestions about how to paint it, what color to paint it etc etc.

Attached is the cage, and yes, those are wheels on the bottom. Nothing like having a live body in a cage that can still come after you! :)
1798808_233781330139636_1609928193_n.jpg

As always, thank you for the help!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,110 Posts
the 2 best paints i have found that are pure silver: Martha Stewarts Metallic in Polished Silver (but they are small pots in Home Depot) but since you are doing wood - you could spray paint it after sealing it first with a latex paint base. I have this one : Rustoleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish (silver cap). I would then hit with Martha Stewarts in spots for some more shine. But I think putting on a base will make the silver shine more.

Look for terras videos or just pm her......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,
There are YouTube help tips.
There is a website dedicated to minature and warhammer type forum art called. Terra genesis. They have some great tips on paint techniques.
I would use sand for the breakdown of metal drybrushed for stippled raised areas.
Gun metal grey good colour but dear on large scale.
Make rough edges Built up areas. SAwn and beat up areas in wood etc.
Dry brushing with silver. Orange. And brown colours. Give you great effects.
The many talented artists on here will give you different and similar ideas and techniques.
Good luck. And please show your results.
It's a big talented family on here. And none of us stop learning techniques even the professionals.
Remember. Some of the best ideas and techniques come by mistake.

·
Typing Away
3,502 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have fun with it! Make sure to use a dry brush with very little paint to put the accents on. We use a brown or silver paint first. Then go over it with dry brushes and multiple colors. If it looks bad, you can just go over it again. That's the fun of distressing stuff!

We also use a mixture of sawdust, ceiling popcorn texture and drywall mud mixed with paint to give things a bumpy look.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,110 Posts

·
Typing Away
3,502 Posts
The Metal paint works and hold up great outside. I paint my cemetery fence and arch 3 years ago and it is outside the month of October. The rain and dampness just makes it rust more. The fence and arch are made up of PVC and wood with a base coat of black exterior paint.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts