Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are making a haunted house in my cousin's unfinished basement this year and I am wondering if anyone has good suggestions for a cheap way to make interior walls to subdivide the rooms. I have used garbage bags on string before and it was ok but a little too gheto.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
The "standard" is plywood with 2x4 framework. That does get expensive though. Another option is muslin or canvas either on a frame or hung from supports. This has the advantage of being sturdier and paintable. Keep an eye on Craigslist, Facebook and any other local trading/selling sites for cheap materials. You can often find wood and paneling leftover from projects cheap.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Pallets would work but take extra care to avoid splinters and nails from hurting people as they brush up against them.

Also, be advised that the red and blue pallets in that particular video are rented to manufacturing and distribution businesses. Even if someone at a store tells you it's OK to take them, it's not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used the landscape fabric last year. it aint cheap thats for sure. using 6ml plastic this year, its 1/3 of the price.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use the canvas drop cloths from Harbor Freight. I picked up 2 cases of the 9'x12' ones at one of their sidewalk sales a couple of years ago. If you're going to paint them you need to stretch the canvas on a frame for painting because the paint will cause it to shrink. Here's a picture of one of the "stone" walls.

I wasn't quite done with this one when the pic was taken. If you don't put the paint on too thick the canvas can be folded and stored in a tote without cracking . I tried to use a brush but spraying works much better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the canvas drop cloths from Harbor Freight. I picked up 2 cases of the 9'x12' ones at one of their sidewalk sales a couple of years ago. If you're going to paint them you need to stretch the canvas on a frame for painting because the paint will cause it to shrink. Here's a picture of one of the "stone" walls.

I wasn't quite done with this one when the pic was taken. If you don't put the paint on too thick the canvas can be folded and stored in a tote without cracking . I tried to use a brush but spraying works much better.
I cant see those being cheap. even at $10 a sheet it would cost me about $550 in drop cloths alone never mind framing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use 2x2's and 1/4" plywood. Each panel costs 16.89 plus paint. We paint them black and then detail and paint accordingly for each room. This year I have about 24 walls to build so about $405.00. But next year I wont have to start from scratch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use 2x2's with the tyco 6ml plastic. cheap for big big rolls. easy to store all the 2x2s. no room to store fully built walls.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Yes, that is me and it's landscape fabric but I use the professional version that I was able to get at a huge nursery. Granger also sells it. I like using landscape fabric vs. black plastic because it's not so shiny and it's paintable. Here's a link to the full written tutorial: http://www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/terra/611-building-haunt-wall-panels-tutorial.html

This is how the landscape fabric I use looks. The stuff is so resilient that it's being used for cheap bags and packaging now. It feels so much like fabric. One of those bags is at the base of the roll.

This is a good up-close of the material - I'm sure you recognize it. It's used for everything now. Link to the Granger item: http://www.grainger.com/product/DEWITT-Weed-Barrier-1ECB9

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Agree with Terra, we use a combination of ground cover panels and 1/4" plywood, both are mounted onto 2 x 2' frames. We also bought the ground cover in large landscapers roll which really helps to keep the costs down. Don't care for the sheen of plastic or trying to paint it. We have been using the same panels 4 seasons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts