Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help, and not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but, how do you get your pvc witch or whatever to stand up? mine doesn't have legs at this point, she's just on a piece of pvc. i tried cutting out a hole in a board, that didn't work, i tried my umbrella stand, that didn't work. i noticed somewhere that a pvc piece was screwed onto a board but i can't find that piece that is round and has a piece of pvc sticking up that another piece of pvc can slide into, anybody know what i'm talking about and what its called. if i could find out what that piece is or called then i could give her legs to help balance it. any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I got mine to stand up by adding a T-joint and giving her legs attached to another T-joint and two small "feet" and then I simply took a 10 lb. weight I had and attached onto the "leg" before each "foot" to hold it down and voila! The old hag stands free! And since I only glue her hips I can adjust her as I see fit.

Here is what she looked like before I added the clothing and mask.

And with her dedicates covered. There is also the Vorhees dummy I was building at the time, you can see how I put the waist together. For the witch I then took some duct tape and cardboard I tore into about 6" wide strips to 'flesh' her out a bit and help support the posture I wanted. As of this, Vorhees is still a work in progress.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are standing her on grass and the dress is long enough you can put a stake that runs to her knee in the ground behind the leg and use zip ties to stand her. That is one method I use. Another is to make a square at the bottom of the pvc using T and 90 degree pieces to make a square and cover with leaves. If you look at my pics from last year that is how my witch is standing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For my witch, I have her standing like a tripod with one knee, one foot and one hand (via a walking stick) touching the ground. For my grim reaper, I poured concrete in the boots I made--they are very heavy and the rest of him is very light. The scythe is set in a black PVC tube set in a concrete base.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use 1" PVC for the frame, then I cut 1/2 " PVC at about 2 to 3 feet at an angle. Drive those into the ground and drop my frame on top. Works great! If you plan to have shoes on your prop, and you dont mind wrecking them, just drill a hole in the bottom of them for your 1/2" to go through.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
If you need her to stand up inside, go to the plumbing section and get a flange the size of your pvc and a threaded fitting. If you don't know what that is, ask the guy (or girl) at the hardware store. Screw it to a board that's wide and heavy enough to keep her from falling over, and then stick the pvc down into that. If you need her to stand up on the ground, use the rebar or conduit method. Here is a pic of the inside version. I used this while working on mine.

Reactions: Wicked26

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you have an umbrella stand from a patio (like cast iron or plastic sand filled) you can use that and the tension bolt. Works great with wind.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you need her to stand up inside, go to the plumbing section and get a flange the size of your pvc and a threaded fitting. If you don't know what that is, ask the guy (or girl) at the hardware store. Screw it to a board that's wide and heavy enough to keep her from falling over, and then stick the pvc down into that. If you need her to stand up on the ground, use the rebar or conduit method. Here is a pic of the inside version. I used this while working on mine.
hey, that's what i've been looking for (the flange), so is the flange threaded and that's what i need the fitting for? and what is the flange made out of is that metal? thank you so much. then did your pvc go in or over the flange/fitting? again thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use the toilet flange like the other post, looked around and got all the other fitting to make it fit into my 1 inch PVC for the stands. This can be staked right into the ground, with stakes at an angle, then my "costume" gets staked down as well.....kinda forms a tent structure. With large things I screw the piece into a board. I also use Christmas tree stands...the metal ones. Have to get a large enough piece of PVC to start out in the stand and go change to smaller diameter if you want. Need about a 2 inch PVC so the screws in the stand can be screwed down well enough. Then the metal stands have holes in the feet and I put my ground stakes through that. All the correct piece names and sizes are on my site under "make a stand" at the end of each prop. I also have a video on youtube coming soon that will show how to stake all into the ground. I have used this method for about 2 years now with great success...won't blow over if in the roughest storms. We set up for Chrismas also and the winter wind on our hill can be brutal. Work every time and you can add the screw fitting to break down the stands for easy storage.

·
Reaper Queen
8,721 Posts
I use a metal rod that is a fence post, but about the diameter of rebar but taller. I also have rebar for several other props. pound them into the ground and set the pvc over it! with a witch who has a long dress if need be I use another fence post or a doweling behind the other one with the pvc, and tie them together to give it extra support.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
hey, that's what i've been looking for (the flange), so is the flange threaded and that's what i need the fitting for? and what is the flange made out of is that metal? thank you so much. then did your pvc go in or over the flange/fitting? again thank you.
Yes, the flange is the threaded female part and you'll also need a pvc coupler with a non-threaded female end and a threaded male end. Screw the coupler into the flange and stick the pvc pipe in! Easy fix!

·
Registered
37 Posts
To answer the question "WHERE IS IT" SEE ABOVE POST ON FLANGE/PVC I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to put on web site or not...any way it is HALLOWEEN - CHRISTMAS CRAFTS ETC. on that first page there are picture of "outdoor decorations" pick the dimensional ones like the witch or ghost...toward the bottom just before more pictures there is a "now make the stand link" click there and that is the directions for the stands...the parts are listed in "materials needed". Full URL should be Costume-Stand for Halloween - Christmas Decorations
Sometime tonight (maybe this weekend) I will be putting a video on the area to show what I am talking about so go back some time soon to see that. Sign up for the blog to get the new ideas or put your pictures on Halloween picture stuff which should be http://www.halloween-christmas-crafts-etc.com/Halloween-Photos.html…would love to have your ideas included on your page…free, no registration, no log in, no spam emails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you are welcome, it takes a little trial and error if you ever build frankie as i could not go 8 foot tall,
i went about 7 foot on this one, i did not have the clothes to fit someone with 8 foot dimensions,
this pic was before i bulked him up and added all my touch ups to make him look good but you see how well the frame looks,

Sorry about the pic, Bad Camera last year.

i am definitely building a new frame this year, Zombie :D
but i think i will go with these arm dimensions to make him look more like he is grabbing at you.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/attachments/halloween-props/6953d1255008869-how-make-pvc-witch-stand-up-p1010092.jpg

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
My witch is built on the stand from an old dressmakers dummy which I "liberated" from a dumpster. She doesn't have legs as she is wearing a floor length skirt.
She's fine, as she will be standing in a very sheltered spot.

Slipping the pvc tube over a piece of rebar sounds altogether a more sturdy mounting, especially if your area is succeptible to windy conditions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts