Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Newbe here. I'm sure this is already explained somewhere, but I have not had any luck finding it. I am trying to make mad scientist lab props and I have seen several that have fluorescent fluid in tubes. Usually there is some material in the fluid as well, so its not just a solid colored fluid. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn how to make those? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tonic water under black light is fluorescent in a clear blueish way - for something more coloured - open a glow stick and mix with water - though this will only be temporary - never tried it, but perhaps mixing fluorescent acrylic paint with water might do the trick?

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Consider just underlighting as well.

My old lab was done for a school carnival, trick is we only had 1 hour to set up, everything had to plug and play.

Anyhow, the fluorescent marker soaked in water was used in 2009, and under blacklight it looks bright and near solid:

2010, the handheld bottle was left with marker water, while the main tanks are just clear water underlit with a green light, to show the bubbling better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kept forgetting to post this. These were on my mantle for Halloween a few years ago. Click for a larger version.

Blue is just tonic water from the grocery, straight from the two-liter.

The yellow-green is fluorescent dye extracted from yellow highlighters. I made a jar of concentrated dye by removing the felt core from each pen, getting them just wet enough to be saturated, then squeezing from the far end into the jar like a tube of paste. Repeat until the core loses its color, or until the dye you get out starts looking weak. I recommend wearing gloves unless you like to be yellow.) I filled the containers in the picture mostly with water and added a small amount of dye from the jar to get a dilute mixture.

Pink and orange (yes, both are shown) are the same process, just with different highlighter colors. All of the colors other than yellow were pretty garbage -- barely fluorescent, if at all. My pack also included green and blue highlighters but they were the worst, so I didn't bother. If a line drawn by the highlighter on white paper doesn't fluoresce, the actual dye isn't going to do much better.

Most of the containers are clear. The tall skinny one next to the orb is green glass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Dyne! What/where is your light source in your picture? Cool set up btw! What do people think about adding oil and bubbler to get a different look?

Thanks again for everyone's response!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts