Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sea weed painted.jpg After looking all over the web for help making sea weed for our pirate display this year I came up empty. I stumbled upon this by accident and thought I would share this with everyone. I had some thin 2' long trash bags I cut into strips to see if that would look anything like sea weed while trying to seperate the strands I stretched the strip by accident and loved the look so my daughter and I stretched each peice all the way down it. bag.JPG bag strips.jpg strip1.JPG strech1.jpg strech.jpg After doing this to many cut strips of trash bags I painted each different colors . sea weed painted1.jpg This is really very easy to do hope you like it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dark colors are Rust-Oleum camo brown and green spray paint, the light green is actually Krylon yellow indoor/outdoor spray paint . When painting they blow around so easy its best to hold them at the top and spray them while holding then seprate each strand before they stick together.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That looks great Myke. I have been looking for some seaweed for my pirate haunt too. I think i'll give it a try. I want to to hang some in my cave set up. Thanks for the info.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Wish I had known this before I spent a fortune on seaweed at Hobby Lobby. Even on sale it costs a small fortune. Thanks for this tip. I will still use it as I need more than what I have. Those look so real.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That looks PERFECT. I figure you could use a clear gloss spray if you want 'em wet looking, too.. what a good solution!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies everyone , i've used some ideas from this site and thought i'd share one of my own.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
What a simple, cool effect. Cheap too! Pirates are a theme we have been planning for a while so something I will definitely remember and use.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Brilliant!

Thanks for a great tip! I'm doing Scary Tales and Mother Noose rhymes for next year's Boo Bash. This will be very useful for the "Little Mermaid" corpse scene!

Eric

1 - 20 of 53 Posts