Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Am still struggling to make remote activation triggers for multiple props. I need to know how to make a “Try Me” Button that has a jack at the end (instead of the molex that was used for the older animated props).

I have been all over the web trying to locate a place to buy Try Me Buttons, called Spirit Halloween and I was told that they have been “discontinued” and that all the stores this year will have the footpad activation in place for demonstration purposes.

I am actually squeezing a 2nd request in this post but does anyone know whether the Universal Footpad Activator can be converted into a “Try Me Button”?

I would really appreciate a tutorial, illustration, or any help whatsoever on the above projects.

Thank you, LUV2HAUNT (Carole&Vicki)
:confused

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just for Clarity you want the button on one side and a regular jack on the side of the prop? Anyway we can get a picture of what your working with?

I made 4 hand triggers and have a few ideas for you but I am not excatly sure what your prop has a connection for the try me.

on your second part I tore apart a foot pad that came with one of my props and it just a flat button.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The Spirit Halloween Lurching Zombie is one of the props. It has a switch to enable the "Try Me" function. It requires a "Jack" to be plugged into it. Another prop that I bought last year on sale was the Witch Of Stolen Souls. She also has the "Try Me" function that requires the speaker or audio jack. I got her to work with a speaker jack, speaker wire extension, then a momentary relay switch (Try Me Button) that I can screw to the underside of the fence around the display. It works fine. The Lurching Zombie does not work.

I will try to order a couple footpad activation mats and tear them apart. I wonder about them though because I tried with the Giant Jumping Spider and ended up using a remote control on it.

In the past I just used a cheap "Try Me Button" from any old prop and the wired it into the animated prop I wanted to remotely activate. That approach is not working this year. The Lurching Zombie is really a pain because he is placed right in the middle of a zombie herd.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Carole & Vicki AKA LUV2HAUNT

·
Registered
475 Posts
As promised a break down of the Prop step pad.
Text Font Technology Design Electronic device

cut opened reveals the "switch"
Yellow Plastic

Here is the picture of the plug. Note there is only one insulated band on it. ( thats the black one) the one you have on the witch does it have two?
Tool Tool accessory

Here is the switch with the tape removed. Note the red and black wires. this is where you can disconnect the switch and add any trigger Switch of your choice.
Ceiling Metal Circle

·
Registered
475 Posts
The hand switch I made was a single switch from radio shack and markers from the dollar store. Cost is about $1.25 to make each one.

Part: http://www.radioshack.com/pushbutton-normally-closed-momentary-switch-4-pack/2751548.html

Forgive the dirty hands just got done working on the car before this. :)

Hand Tobacco products Finger

Wire Technology Electronic device Electrical connector Electronic component

Wire Finger Cable Hand Technology

Pretty Self explanatory with the pictures. Just connect the wires to the black on red ones from the Pressure pad or the one you made if you find the jack.

These were for a prototype project i was working on so i didn't paint them. :)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Step mats are just a N.O. switch, nothing special about them. Any N.O. switch or relay will work for a "try me" button. The jack is just a standard 3.5mm phone or mono jack, a stereo jack has 3 sections to it, not what you want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Thank you both so much. I think one of my problems was the type of jack I was trying to use. I am going to order a few of the Footpads and attach them to momentary switches (sturdy, push button, easy to mount on underside of fence that surrounds the display). I will make certain that I use the correct (one insulated band jacks. Thanks again to both of you. I will post how it works out. Carole & Vicki AKA LUV2HAUNT

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Just to make sure you understand, if you are going to use some type of push button switch, you don't need the footpads. Here's an ebay link to the 3.5mm mono jacks that you need for the prop connection. This seller is in the US so you should get them quickly. There are even cheaper prices on ebay but the sellers are in China and it sometimes takes 30 days to get them.http://m.ebay.com/itm/1-To-1000-Pie...e-/141485125156?nav=SEARCH&varId=440635071244

1 - 10 of 10 Posts