Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure it is easy to do but i would like a how to on this because every idea i tried so far end up looking bad

·
Registered
994 Posts
What have you done so far? And what is it used for (costume accessory, prop)?

I've never made one, but my initial thoughts were carving it from foam and attaching to a natural stick (something long, sturdy, and found in the 'real' world).

If you're looking for something more durable - seal the foam/mache.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will be a costume accessory and so far i got the right stick for it but the blade is proving to be the problem, I only can use spray paint so foam will not work and I am not a metal worker so I am at a loss

·
Registered
84 Posts
it will be a costume accessory and so far i got the right stick for it but the blade is proving to be the problem, I only can use spray paint so foam will not work and I am not a metal worker so I am at a loss
I cut my blade out of 3mm MDF. The handle was a broom stick I found. This year I'm building a bigger one for a 6ft 6 grim reaper greeter - the handle will be PVC pipe that's been shaped a bit with heat and with the traditional 'handle' part way up. I'll gnarl the PVC up with plastic bags and a heat gun and then paint.

Make sure it's not removable from the prop - last year I found 2 TOTers trying to hit each other - one had found a rusty pitchfork round the back of the shed and one had grabbed the Scythe. Later on, one of the TOTers used the scythe to hit the Pinata and punctured it!

Other TOTers started swinging on my hanged man! Luckily I'd wired the hangsmans noose into place and the body was strong enough to take it.

It was a manic Halloween party and nobody got hurt but I learned a few lessons about out of control kids!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanx, now if i get it to work right any tips on how to paint it to make it look old and rusted?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Usually you start with a base coat of black or something really dark. Fill in all the nooks and cranies... that way, as you build up your colors, your depth stands out. I'd apply some gray/silver... then maybe slightly more dark colors over that to 'dirty' it up. Lastly... some rust/orange color - stipple it on (if you're using spray paint, depress the can slightly and you get some larger 'droplets' - may help)... that's about all I got right now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you know i do believe it is harder to paint stuff for Halloween costumes and props then it is to paint my Halo armor lol but thank you DeadTed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts