Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ways to make a posable skeleton stiff enough to hold his form.
Toy Bone Skeleton Skull Art

I plan on moving this guy up a rail 16' in 4 seconds. I want him to stay in a pose similar to this one and be able to withstand the starting and stopping inertia without breaking or losing it's pose. So need some insight on what to use in those moveable joints. Epoxy, wire frame, ??

·
Registered
508 Posts
Looking for ways to make a posable skeleton stiff enough to hold his form. View attachment 761502
I plan on moving this guy up a rail 16' in 4 seconds. I want him to stay in a pose similar to this one and be able to withstand the starting and stopping inertia without breaking or losing it's pose. So need some insight on what to use in those moveable joints. Epoxy, wire frame, ??
Two part epoxy. Just apply to any joints that need to stay in position. Once it dries (in 2-3 minutes) it's as hard as a rock, weather resistant, and you can paint or stain over it.
Tire Font Logo Rectangle Brand

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
For props that were not subjected to lots of force (like some static skeletons climbing up the side of the porch) I used self tapping screws that were beige colored and about 2" long. That, plus the attachment to the porch roof and columns, was enough.

Standing skellies I use black rebar ziptied to the legs. If they have heavy clothes they sometimes need more assistance.

For that piece, I think the epoxy would work or look at thermoplastic beads that can be colored greyish beige and lock the joint in place with that. But epoxy would be best at coping with acceleration and deceleration over and over again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just looked into the thermo plastic beads, I think I may use a combination of fiberglass resin and the colored plastic beads. Soak some strips in the resin and wrap the joints, the cover with the beads .There is probably going to be some type of metal frame(aluminum/copper) tubing attached to the chest cavity securing it to the carriage.
Thank for the ALWAYS great advise.
Soon all my motor controller componets arrive. Will post some updates of that part of the project.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,240 Posts
All thread rods through the bones for the elbow and knee joints will 100% hold and screws and epoxy for the shoulders and hips might be enough there. Might help to fill the insides of the bones at the ends where they attach with epoxy to create a solid mass for the screws to bite into. At the hips you may be able to bend the all thread rod to go through the original mounting holes and use a bolt on it there to secure it, but I think it would still move when force gets applied. A couple of screws and epoxy there would likely help stop it from happening. The problem is that all of these cheap skeletons are made with very thin plastic that can't hold screws very well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx, I really appreciate your insite and experience in this. Have followed alot of your posts and am a big fan of your craft. You are correct, they are not built to handle inertia stresses. So I have to basically create either an internal(concealed) skeletal structure this store bought exoskeleton will will be attached to, or build up the exoskeleton at those joints to handle the ride.
So far I am in the design of the rail portion.
Wood Gas Chemical compound Metal Wire

Automotive tire Rectangle Tread Wood Tire

Waiting for my motor controller to come in to start testing. Everything so far is theory.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have instructions for how I pose skeletons here if you are interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts